Home

Giving Bots orders in CTF?

Kurgan

I'm sure this won't be answered until the game comes out, but I wonder... if (I hope) this feature will be put back into JA?

The Quake3 engine supports giving bots orders in team games. One player uses a console command to say "I am the leader" and then the bots will listen to this players orders. He can tell them to defend a certain area, cover him, guard the flag, attack the base, etc. and they will follow him (at least until they get tired of listening to his orders). In addition (though I never tried this) a bot could be made team leader, and he would give orders as he saw fit to other bots (human players of course could choose whether or not to follow the orders).

In JK2 I was told this feature was "untested" but it certainly didn't work like it did in Q3. I missed it because this greatly diminished the effectiveness of bots in team games. It meant that anybody stuck on a team with bots online was on their own (and would probably lose, since they would just do whatever they wanted and usually never captured).

Unreal Tournament also made good use of bots on teams. Now granted, we'd all like to play big games with all human players, but this isn't always possible. Slow connections, lack of players at certain times, and the desire to practice all make the issue an important one for many people.

I hope it's done right in JA. Or at least we're told how to do it...

Now that the game is gone gold, it's done, so if it's not in there now we're probably out of luck, though maybe it could be added in a patch? Here's hoping!

This question seems to never be addressed in all the previews/interviews I've seen for JA, so it probably won't be known until the game comes out. I would think that such a feature would be vital to Siege mode. It'd be fun directing a frontal assault against an enemy stronghold with a bunch of soldier-bots with your Jedi class character leading the charge. Time will tell, I suppose.

I agree Kurgan, there definitley should be an option for this. Bots just didn't help at all in CTF.

Hopefully its already in. It would be nice to see it added in a patch, but the thing is, I hope there really isn't a need for a patch! I hope the gameplay is stable from the START this time around....

Originally posted by Obi-Wan X

I agree Kurgan, there definitley should be an option for this. Bots just didn't help at all in CTF.

Hopefully its already in. It would be nice to see it added in a patch, but the thing is, I hope there really isn't a need for a patch! I hope the gameplay is stable from the START this time around....

All games need patches. Look at quake3, it's been a while since its release and there are still new patches out every now and then. This doesn't mean the gameplay isn't stable. They might just have to change some things due to popular demand to satisfy their playerbase.

Originally posted by g//plaZma

All games need patches. Look at quake3, it's been a while since its release and there are still new patches out every now and then. This doesn't mean the gameplay isn't stable. They might just have to change some things due to popular demand to satisfy their playerbase.

i'd have to agree there.

hey plaz lets play some q3 sometime, i haven't played since i won the tourney at Frag Fest last July.

Jedi Knight (1) only had one patch, and all it did was fix a small joystick glitch that almost never happened anyway...even if you used a joystick, when playing Jedi Knight, you didn't really need the patch.

Originally posted by Gabrobot

Jedi Knight (1) only had one patch, and all it did was fix a small joystick glitch that almost never happened anyway...even if you used a joystick, when playing Jedi Knight, you didn't really need the patch.

I'm aware of that. JA, however has only been in development for little over half a year or so. There will have to be a few patches. It looks like they really rushed this one.

BTW, JK was a pretty simple game and didn't run on an engine even close to the greatness of the q3 engine. This may be a reason why JK didn't have more than one patch.

Jedi Academy has been in devolpment since just after Jedi Outcast was released. It's been in devolpment longer than Jedi Outcast, plus they had an even more complete engine and gameplay system than they had with Jedi Outcast, and Raven must really know the Quake III engine inside out by now...

And my main point about Jedi Knight, was that they didn't have to release gameplay patches...they got it right the first time. (By the way, I've edited both Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight II, and Jedi Knight had a much more complicated scripting system than Jedi Knight II (it was like a mini version of C) and yet there were no game stopping bugs like that one bug in the Artus Topside level in Jedi Knight II.)

I totally agree with Kurgan. For Team-based games, the ability to command your bots to carry out specific functions should be there. I'd love to see an intuitive and well-featured command interface along the lines of the one in UT2K3 - pick a specific bot and give them a specific command. As stated above, giving bots orders is probably going to be essential for game modes like Siege.

I'm a bit worried that it hasn't been mentioned anywhere...because usually when something is not mentioned, it doesn't appear in a game. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, and if it's not there out of the box, hope that it's not too hard for a mod crew to code it in...

I couldn't care less if the voice macros gave commands to bots or not as I never really play with bots. I prefer humans over AI (although AI can sometimes be smarter than some). But I do want a voice macros. It would make team games a lot easier and more organized.

I couldn't care less if the voice macros gave commands to bots or not as I never really play with bots. I prefer humans over AI (although AI can sometimes be smarter than some). But I do want a voice macros. It would make team games a lot easier and more organized.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived