Home

Using Grip Online

Toxie

Originally posted by DarkLord60

I hate grippers and especially those who use force push and pull non-stop its annoying please cut down on that if you are one of those people.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh thats just too good..

If your too lame to deal with force powers.. Take it to a NF server.

Grip has got to be the easiest thing to break, im so tired of all u n00bs complaining about it.. GET A CLUE!

Who the hell said I am a noob I am simpily stating thats its annoying that grippers only know how to use one force power so excuse me and what the hells up your but! God you are the most rudist person I've encountered. I use grip to but not constatly. its just not cool when people Use gay a$$ powers instead of good ol guns. Jesus maybe I should go back to playing Counter Strike. What I really hate the most is when people call other people a noob when they have not even played them yet! So you tell me when and where and Ill play you and I am damn sure I will kick your A$$ until you cry you little S#$T! You have not hurt my feelings you have just pissed me off!

for me force combat is the best part of the game.

But I will admit, it can be very frustrating if you don’t know what to do.

Force combat is kind of like a game of chess, every move has a counter move, and you must learn them all to succeed.

The very first post I ever made on these forums was asking people for help on how to counter grip, right after I had gotten Jedi Outcast and played it for the first time online.

Props to the guy who came here and asked for help.

It’s always nice to see people asking for help on countering a move rather than asking for some move or power to be abolished.

/edit

here is a good place to start:

http://strategy.jediknightii.net/jka/

much better than any 19.99 strategy guide you can buy.

It’s called not flaming you, but since you want to play hall monitor, here you go:

It's fine and dandy to kick people off a server because they use a power that is enabled on the server?

and since the players can't counter a single move that is predictable (because it's the only move he's doing) and because he's not playing how you personally think he should, he should be kicked from a server and be denied from experiencing online play?

Dude, if you (or any one really) believe that is acceptable behavior, you are just plain sad.

No sarcasm there at all.

whenever i kick someone for using one force power excessively, its usually because hes being a jerk about it in some way.

there are exceptions. for instance the guy with the bad connection who just slams everyone with push and lightning. hard to be a great lightsaber combatant when youre actions a .5-2 seconds delayed.

the only time ive kicked people is if they are pussies (dont stand and fight every now and then. if i challenge you to a duel, dont grip-drop me off a ledge. thatll result in bad things) or if they are hunting down specific people (namely newbs and those with high ping).

otherwise i have no problem with people using any and all force powers at their disposal. using something thats in the game is fine by me. its my job to know how to shut a person down. using force powers to gain an advantage over someone due to some outside issue (lag, not the best comp, etc.), then kickings commence.

i prefer to laugh at people who just use one or two moves, like grip drop, or dual saberist who run into a group of people and use saber barrier. a good 80-90% of the time i challenge those people and they either dont accept, or they accept and lose.

also, look at it like this....if more and more people learn the proper ways to counter something, then less people will use it. if you want to be EXTRA sure you can counter grip, bind force push to an easily reachable key (mine is F) and as soon as your lightsaber starts to retract (youll hear the sound) push F. its second nature to me. ive actually killed a few hapless grippers who happened to grip me with an edge to their back. you could do the same for absorb too, if youre light side. just practice countering grip in game and itll lose its power over you.

edit: oh yeah, one other time i voted to kick someone was when me and the rest of the players agreed that the person had no real skill and we wanted to make room for one of the other persons friends. it was a duel map with force enabled on the imperial shaft level and he would constantly grip a person and try to throw them off. if he didnt succeed, hed evade until his force regened and then try again. if you had absorb on, hed just evade until you ran out of force. was really very un fun.

so i guess another reason id kick someone would be if that person was reducing the amount of "fun" each other person on the server was having.

you know, some people actually go to FFA servers to play FFA.

Stopping in the middle of a game to "press K" and duel some guy for five minutes tends to hurt your chances of getting the most kills when the time limit hits.

as for them using the force to lag you, trust me guy, that is not the case.

The guy "spamming lightning" is doing it because he wants to kill people, he has no idea what kind of PC/connection the other players have.

The goal is to kill and win.

If you have a bad PC/video card/connection, that is just something you are going to have to live with, others should not be punished for it.

/edit

I just read your bottom edit...

another example of you people thinking the entire world revolves around you.

Did you ever think that the guy you deemed as "not having skill" maybe, just maybe, was having fun?

And maybe he was playing that way because he was trying to win, and win by any means.

Was it cheap?

Sure.

Was it unfair?

Not at all.

You said it is "your job to shut them down".

So "shutting him down" is voting him off?

damn, you people wonder why Jk2 died so damn fast, just look at the asinine garbage you are spewing.

How would you like it if I and a bunch of competitive ladder/league players came on a server and just beat the hell out of you and then kicked you because we deemed you as not being worthy of playing us?

:rolleyes:

as for them using the force to lag you, trust me guy, that is not the case.

nononononono oh god no....

you cant use the force to lag anything unless youve got 30 some odd people using lightning at the same time in front of someone with a crappy computer.

however....people DO play this game with 56k modems. i myself was limited to one until a few weeks ago. i speak from experience when i say using push or absorb to stop from being gripped doesnt always work when youve got a one second delay between pushing the button and having the force power activate. so, having been in the situation of the low lag guy (and being picked on by some because of it, even when i used the proper counters) i dont like it when others take advantage of someones high-ping connection. so if i notice one guy happens to be killing another guy over and over again, i take note. if the person being killed has a high ping, i get angry and call a vote. sometimes it passes, sometimes it doesnt. if the guy is killing one person constantly, but that person DOESNT have high ping, then i dont care. they should counter force. its up to them to take care of themselves.

moving on....

The goal is to kill and win.

thats a BIG duh dude :D

If you have a bad PC/video card/connection, that is just something you are going to have to live with, others should not be punished for it.

eh....i suppose thats a personal opinion more than anything. to each their own. the way i see it, high ping people dont really deserve my attention. same for those with low-end comps. i like my opponents to be at their fullest. again, its an opinion tho, and i respect that.

another example of you people thinking the entire world revolves around you.

youre damn straight :D (yeah, im joking. but still man, its funny watching you make a HUGE assumption based on what ive said in a thread)

Did you ever think that the guy you deemed as "not having skill" maybe, just maybe, was having fun?

im having fun with the quote button today.....anyway, in the particular situation i was referring too, the guy DID have high-ping. regardless, he managed to do pretty well for himself, moving up to about 6th place (of 12) with 30 some odd kills. i made 4th with about 65 (liberal use of katas and a BUNCH of duels) and the top three had all been on the server for quite some time, amassing 90+ kills each.

i dont really consider lightning use to be spamming or abuse of any kind, because its ridiculously easy to counter under most circumstances. and in free for all, i play by the rules laid down by the server at the time (im a fan of kaiasowapits server. offensive powers can only be used if the saber is sheated, so it adds an interesting element to play. plus sabers and guns are broken into two different teams.)

anyway.....

You said it is "your job to shut them down".

oh, sorry bout that. it came out wrong. by "shutting them down" i meant knowing the counter and dispatching of them. shutting down their force power usage, either by drain or absorb (or nuking them with whatever heavy weapons i happen to have with me).

damn, you people wonder why Jk2 died so damn fast, just look at the asinine garbage you are spewing.

How would you like it if I and a bunch of competitive ladder/league players came on a server and just beat the hell out of you and then kicked you because we deemed you as not being worthy of playing us?

heh heh heh. i dont know about the second statement....im not a helpless babe :p. you could try though. thatd be a helluva fight. i pick the battleground however ;)

as for the asinine garbage....well, if one person is making the game not fun for a bunch of people, then why not kick him? if i join a server and i dont fit in for whatever reason, i usually just leave. there are enough servers (well, not with the games server system, but ASE does nicely) that i can find some with people who i get along with. the only servers ive ever left are ones where people have been assholes to me (or others on the server). sure, there might be some out-of-game reasons for people being dicks (perhaps the guy they are bitching at is their brother) but i dont know that for sure. so one of two things happens....if i and most of the rest of the folks agree that said asshole is indeed being an asshole, we kick him. if im in the minority, or people seem to be enjoying the assholes antics (say, for instance, trash-talking between friends) then ill either start trash-talking myself, or leave, depending on my mood.

voting is there for people to make their game playing experience more enjoyable. at least, thats what it was intended for.

i dont think its ok for people to kick someone for using force powers. i DO think its ok to kick someone for using force powers in a way that deprives others of their fun, like constantly picking on one person with high ping or acting in a way that goes against the rules set for the server.

Ok, but there is a big difference between being an asshole and playing cheesy.

People tend to just blur the two into one and justify one by referencing the other.

A perfect example is in this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115588

Now rumor and plaz are "playing cheap" (I prefer to look at it as tactically smart game play based on one's options though) but they are professional, courteous and respectful.

On the other hand their opponents are foul mouthed, obnoxious and just being downright assholes.

Here is where the irony comes in.

In 90% of the public servers out there, rumor and plaz would be branded as "lamers" and banned from servers due to the way they play; regardless of how respectful and professional they act.

Yet those guys they played would never be banned because they “showed respect” due to them not “playing lame”.

Hell, rumor and plaz could unbind their chat keys and hit 10 public servers and never type out a word yet still be looked at as "asshole lamers".

But their opponents child like, abusive, and demeaning behavior would generally be accepted by people because they don't "lame".

So it's "respectful" to tell a person to "eat my <semen>" so long as you don't kill them while they are typing?

Yet it's "lame" to tell your team to be humble about the win and not rub it in, yet if you rely on lightning in a full force match you deserve to be punished because you ruin others fun?

Well, in the dysfunctional trailer park that is the Jedi Knight world, yeah it is "normal".

Look I'm all for voting a jerk off a server, but do it for the right reasons.

They guy is being verbally abusive; he’s dropping people in duels with the reconnect bug, etc.

But I just see way too many people getting voted off of servers just for stupid crap.

I don’t know how many times I have seen people get voted off of servers just because they used a gun on some guy swinging a saber.

/saber noob gets shot with a rocket

“WTF lamer!? Guns are gay”

/callvote

/kicked

Originally posted by Shakey Mac

whenever i kick someone for using one force power excessively, its usually because hes being a jerk about it in some way.

there are exceptions. for instance the guy with the bad connection who just slams everyone with push and lightning. hard to be a great lightsaber combatant when youre actions a .5-2 seconds delayed.

the only time ive kicked people is if they are pussies (dont stand and fight every now and then. if i challenge you to a duel, dont grip-drop me off a ledge. thatll result in bad things) or if they are hunting down specific people (namely newbs and those with high ping).

otherwise i have no problem with people using any and all force powers at their disposal. using something thats in the game is fine by me. its my job to know how to shut a person down. using force powers to gain an advantage over someone due to some outside issue (lag, not the best comp, etc.), then kickings commence.

i prefer to laugh at people who just use one or two moves, like grip drop, or dual saberist who run into a group of people and use saber barrier. a good 80-90% of the time i challenge those people and they either dont accept, or they accept and lose.

also, look at it like this....if more and more people learn the proper ways to counter something, then less people will use it. if you want to be EXTRA sure you can counter grip, bind force push to an easily reachable key (mine is F) and as soon as your lightsaber starts to retract (youll hear the sound) push F. its second nature to me. ive actually killed a few hapless grippers who happened to grip me with an edge to their back. you could do the same for absorb too, if youre light side. just practice countering grip in game and itll lose its power over you.

edit: oh yeah, one other time i voted to kick someone was when me and the rest of the players agreed that the person had no real skill and we wanted to make room for one of the other persons friends. it was a duel map with force enabled on the imperial shaft level and he would constantly grip a person and try to throw them off. if he didnt succeed, hed evade until his force regened and then try again. if you had absorb on, hed just evade until you ran out of force. was really very un fun.

so i guess another reason id kick someone would be if that person was reducing the amount of "fun" each other person on the server was having.

hows this:

you and me

10 duels in jk2

10 duels in ja

i'll prove that the only thing truely limiting anyone with a ping below 400 in duel/ffa and 700 in ctf/tdm/siege is the person themselves.

i play on 56k. i am also one of the higher level duelers (not leet like uj, etc, but i give them one hell of a time)

ffa's ? i come out usually in the top 5 (out of 16) and often i come in with under 7 minutes until the map ends and go up to 3rd or better.

Picking on the guy with a bad ping?!?!

Oh wow, I've never heard that one before! So you're saying that I can't kill people who have a slow computer or a slow connection? How about those with bad reflexes or those who don't have all their force powers bound to keys? Or how about the guy who simply sucks at the game? How many times are you going to let me kill him before you decide that it's time for me to be kicked from the server? 3 times?

Honestly - that's got to be the most retarded thing I've ever heard!

Btw - can you believe that I have never ever started a vote in my life? Guess why? Because I don't think my personal opinion about how the game should be played is something the whole world must follow. I don't think that it's up to me to judge every kid out there playing JA. I don't think it's my job to act like a friggin' server police enforcing my own personal rules upon everyone else.

You kicked some kid because you agreed that he didn't have "real skill"!? Jesus*******Christ!

Where do you people come from...? :disaprove

The offical "n00bs whine about grip thread"

DarkLord60 if you cannot beat a grip an its to the point of pissing you off.. YOUR A N00B! Im sure id destroy you like i destroy everyone. I AM THE DARK LORD OF THE SITH! You are a n00b, yes im rude, yes im arrogant, its all justified in my skillz though. If you wanna whine on a thread about something, prepare for flames on it.

And too all you idiot admins that kick ppl for abusing force. HOW THE F*** TO U ABUSE FORCE! IF U LEFT IT ON YOU LEFT PPL THE ABILITITY TO USE IT! Im sure to ppl like you with no skill.. any use = abuse

If you cant handle the darkside powers like so many turn them off.

I AM THE DARK LORD OF THE SITH!

JEDI BODIES LINE MY PATH!

Originally posted by Luc Solar

Where do you people come from...? :disaprove

the darkside of the moon i think.

seriously. I think the game should just be played no rules besides "no flaming of any kind, no retaliation to a flame, etc."

I'll kill you if you're in the game :) talking or not i'll kill you. if you're just standing there with your saber drawn(not ignited) i'll still swing at you.

what pisses me off is people with saber down using force and then i saber them and get a kill they kick and bitch because they didn't have their saber up.

Grow up people, It's a game not a ****ing RL scenario. it's all for fun. If you want to roleplay to the extent where it's invading other servers and imposing YOUR rules upon the others that are there, I suggest you stick to SP or make your own server clearly stating RP server. I occasionally like to sit and chat but if someone wants to fight me i will fight, and i don't bitch if they kill me while i'm sitting.

lol You know what makes me mad really mad more mad than people using force powers in a Star Wars game......? Players killing players in a FFA game. I mean what the hell are you poeple thinking stop shooting at me and stop using them cheating force powers. Just because they are there doesn't mean to use them........:rolleyes: WA WA WA

As much crying that goes on in game you think we could do without it in the forum?.....:o

I am sorry I just don't like fake ass powers but I can live with them I just think its very sad that the only way you can fight is with grip its not skill in fact its what newbies do and I hate it I prefer a Force server but I like when ppl use sabers and guns once in awhile. So who is the noob you ask well its not me. Now quit flaming and move on plz!

Guys, guys! Don't fight (save it for the game)!

I get back from vacation and already tempers are flaring.. peace y'all. ; )

Anyway, yes, force combat DOES seem frustrating at first.

I remember my introduction to the JK series of online play was getting my butt whooped good by one of my best friends in JK1 on battleground Jedi.

I whined that his powers seemed unstoppable. Then he showed me that there were counters, and I picked up some more as I went and learned a lot. Eventually I became a great player (and we had a rematch and I beat him pretty bad, so bad I felt sorry for him somewhat, hehe).

The same applies to this game. I have gone into JK2 and JA with the attitude "I will not complain if I lose, I will instead do my best to learn how to be a better player, and I will take each experience as an opportunity to learn rather than get angry with somebody for being better than me."

I'm not a perfect person, but I've found holding that attitude up has helped me be a better player AND have more fun at the same time.

And isn't that what it's all about?

PS: Thanks for the plug, I hope that people get some use out of my site, and I'm always trying to improve it, to help teach people. After all, we all start as "n00bs" at some time, right?

PPS: Lag is a factor in any game. The greater the ping discrepency between you and your opponent, the greater the potential advantage. HOWEVER, I know of lots of players who, due to whatever factors (not having good ISP's in their area, being forced to use crappy hardware, etc) have learned to live with their high pings and can predict well enough that they can be formidable opponents. Adapatation is key in this and all online games, and with enough practice even 56kers can beat cable guys (unless the cable guys are on to them and practice even more, etc etc it never ends, but that's the fun of it).

Archived