Home

Who would actually use improved bot routes?

Darth Kaan

Would you actually use improved bot routes for JA maps.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you actually use improved bot routes for JA maps.

• Yes
    • No
    • Would at least try them
    • Bots are a waste of time.

improved bot routes for ALL the JA maps were released, would you actually use them?

yeah, cause bots r not like human players. They dont call u n00bs, they dont spam the kata, the dont chat all the time, and best of all they r unforgiving - they dont sulk, o and they dont kick ppl, yes bot rots improved, i would use em.

This is pretty much a no-brainer. I think everyone pretty much agrees that the bot routes could definitely be improved for several of the maps. The AI or basic behaviour could also be improved - it's annoying when they just run back and for in the same space, often with their back to you - or simply run backwards (without ever falling off a cliff) so you have to chase them across half the level just to have a fight.

So yes...it would be good if someone could come along and 'fix' the bot paths, and some of the AI.

If the AI was closer to SP, I might be more interested. As it stands now, if I just want to fool around with saber fighting, I just load an MP map into SP and spawn some Reborn or something. If I am going to play MP, I'd rather play real people.

Plenty of people disdain bots, because the bots in JA are somewhat buggy (even compared to JK2). But if they were improved I think more people would find them useful and fun.

Bots can be great to practice your moves on or for people just learning the game, or for people with bad connections who can't play online. They're also nice to fill up those missing spots (like if you have 3 people and want to play CTF) until more humans join. It's also cool when you have some friends and you want to play against a bots team. The best bots I've ever seen in an online game were in Unreal Tournament... they were very challenging on the highest level!

So yes, I would definately use improved bot routes and smarter bots.

The main reason i don't play multiplayer is because of the bots. They commit suicide for no apparent reason, they don't really come after you like in sp, it's as if they don't see you. I would really like to see a bot hold his own against two players. It would be awesome to see a bot duck and roll to avoid a saber swing or trade blaster fire between teams. I can't even play siege because it doesn't allow for bots and i only have a 56k connection..... weak. Add to that the clans and all that stuff i really don't want to get into the mix with those people, thank you.

I just want some good AI with some good hit detection.

My 5 yr old beats the JM lvl. bots regurlarly, even winning a ffa against 5 or 6. I would LOVE to see improved bot routes, the bots suck.

It might be just me, probrally is, but it seems like some of the bots are better than others as well, every time I put a Tie-pilot, cultist or Chewbacca in a ffa they always end up near the top. I only really use s/o and when my kid play I disable guns as well, he's 5 after all. Does this have to do with the bots' effectiveness?

My Vote: yes

:r2d23:eniaC

The main problem with JA bots (using the default routes that came with JA) is that on some maps they periodically "get stuck" (this was a common occurence on Vjun Sentinel, one of the more popular FFA maps). I've also seen it happen to bots on other maps. Suddenly things will get really quiet, and you'll see a bot running continuosly into a pillar or corner or something, and they don't budge, even when you start shooting at them. : (

New bot routes alone can fix this problem. Improved AI is something else, but there is a bot maker program (on Darth Kaan's site IIRC) that lets you customize your own bots. It's for JK2 but most of the stuff works pretty well in JA as well.

Jedi Runner also has some preliminary bot configuration features.

Basically I have it setup so I have a cfg file I can exec in the console that will spawn a few smart bots all at once. Pretty neat.

Archived