Home

The PC version is here. What about mods?

Cosmos Jack

Originally posted by m4k3r, member at the official BioWare forums

In your game dir edit swkotor.ini and under [Game Options] add EnableCheats=1 then when playing press ' to bring down console and enter any of these cheats below:

(number) = eg. 10 up to 999

heal

setcomputeruse (number)

setdemolitions (number)

setstealth (number)

setawareness (number)

setpersuade (number)

setrepair (number)

setsecurity (number)

setstrength (number)

setdexterity (number)

setconstitution (number)

setintelligence (number)

setwisdom (number)

setcharisma (number)

addexp (number)

invulnerability

restartminigame

addlightside (number)

adddarkside (number)

revealmap

givecredits (number)

giveitem (item name)

givemed

giverepair

givecomspikes

give sith armor (number)

infiniteuses

addlevel (number)

Another shameless plug :D For the giveitem cheat, you must give the resref. e.g.: 'giveitem g_a_jedirobe06', you get a jedi robe. The resref can be found in the various data files

I can successfully extract the files from the .BIF archives that the game uses. As for editing them, some are indeed directly editable (plain text), but most are binary, and the scripts are only compiled (i.e there's no source code for the scripts). Therefore, it's really not editor-friendly, and honestly, I doubt that there will be mods...it's not tile-based like NWN, and making new environments is not trivial to say the least.

Another shameless plug For the giveitem cheat, you must give the resref. e.g.: 'giveitem g_a_jedirobe06', you get a jedi robe. The resref can be found in the various data files

okay............. for example how ould i get frag grenades?

im not sure about that g_a part of the code.. please advise.

i used a tool called dragon unpacker.....though you have to use version 4 as version 5 does not have .bif support yet. it did me little good though, as all the image files are in .raw format and i was unable to get any of them to open properly in photoshop. if anyone figures this out though, feel free to updtae the rest of us.

http://www.elberethzone.net/index.php?page=dup4&language=en

that's a link to the version 4 page, scroll all the way to the bottom for the download links.

I was able to open the .bif files in NWN Explorer. DragonUnpacker does a poor job, in comparison. You can view the file names and proper extentions with NWN Explorer - not .raw, but .mdl, .txi, etc. as well as their binary format. However, you cannot view the model directly or view the ASCII.

Certain features of these files give the impression that they are purposefully distorted. I hope this is not the case.

Unfortunately, I really don't have the skills to do much with this. Hopefully someone else out there does as I have the resources to 'make it happen.' (Read: -Hint-hint- Drop me a line if you're interested.)

For purposes other than modding, (if you just want to look around) the pre-rendered movies can of course be opened with RAD Video Tools/Bink. Sound files work in WinAmp and RealOne, but not WindowsMP, provided you change their extensions to .mp3. Dialog (dialog.tlk) can be viewed with NWN Viewer. It is organised by Resource Name. The NWN tools mentioned above can be obtained at NWVault.com.

I'd like to see this game modded, but their is a substantial amount of work involved in the creation of a workable toolset. I'd be hard at work on this already myself, but my background isn't even in a relevant ballpark. All that I can do myself is explore which tools are out there for viewing and editing (and try to find people with some serious skills and free time).

The Odyssey engine is substantially based on Aurora, so while any modding attemps would be nearly from scratch, there is this advantage.

Actually from what I can see the biggest hurdle at the moment is that Bioware compiled / compressed / encrypted the 2DA files. (I lean toward compiled personally, there seems to be too much plaintext remaining for encryption 'thou I'm hardly an expert on that subject and a couple of the files look like they may be both encrypted /and/ compiled.)

Those files control quite a bit. From feats and feat progression, to assigning what file goes to what appearance index number.

I've not tested the graphical tools or scripts from NWN at the moment, but the monster/item (UTI and UTC respectivly) templates seem to remain in the simple GFF format from NWN. (A GFF viewer/editor is available from the NWN Developers area.

http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/

You have to rename the file from UTI/UTC ect to GFF, and the tool itself isn't big on explaining unlabled fields but it's not bad.)

*EDIT* Just looked over the script files and they seem to still be presented in plain text. *shrug*

I'd personally guess that about 60-70% of the NWN tools will work on KOTOR, and a remaining 20% or so could probably be made to work with minor modifications. (It makes no sense for Bioware to signifigantly change a set of working file formats so I'm not surprised.)

Beyond the 2DA problems the next big kink in modding problems seems to be a map editor which is a much, much, harder problem to solve.

Oh, and personally I use the really old 'BifUnpacker'. ^_^

Even though the engine isn't much alike NWN's, I suspect there could be made some minor mods for KotOR? I would stand in a wookie life-debt to anyone making an XP cap remover. I cry myself to sleep every night, with only 20 levels and no possibility multiclassing :(

• 2 weeks later...

amen to that! it becomes especially annoying after your first time through the game when you are attempting to do every possible sidequest that can be done for your particular alignment choice.

i still have to get star maps on kashyyk and manaan, have not gotten picked up by the leviathan, and then there's the unknown world, as well as completing the remaining character sidequests for juhani, jolee and mission's brother(and why didn't your utility droid get a sidequest.....everyone else did, that's hardly fair :)) and i only have 3 levels left to gain on my main character.

and who wants to skip the best parts of the game just so they don't gain the xp? there should be a subtract level code rather than an add level code. :)

The NCS, BIF and KEY formats seem to be virtually unchanged since NWN, so they can be edited pretty easy..

And if I don't remember wrong the first version of 2DAs which were in the Infinity Engine were also semi-compiled(I use in lack of better term :)) and someone managed to bypass that too..me, I think much more can be done than what first thought..

Archived