Home

'Geek' movie laughs?

txa1265

For me, it was a defining moment in my geek-dom when they showed Back to the Future my sophmore year of college (yes back in '85) in our main lecture hall, and the entire place busted up in snickers over the 'Flux Capacitor'.

I was wondering about other technical terms / gadgets other silliness in other movies through the years that have made you laugh / cry / hurl?

Mike

I was 10yo when I heard it, and I though the flex capacitor was damn cool....

Every so often wtching anything to do with Trek, they would cross the line, either with the antics of aliens of different cultures, including the klingons, or the mock techno-babble....

"captain, I suggest we depolarise the main deflector dish to emit a tachyon beam to stabilise the core isodynamic reactors on the alien vessel"

this is not a real quote, but the amalgamation of about 4 sentences of waffle...

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•

DOC: One point twenty-one gigawatts!! One point twenty-one gigawatts... Great Scott!

MARTY: What the hell is a gigawatt?

:xp:

Little things, I know...

B.

you've heard of 'watt' before I'm sure, like a '40 watt light bulb', its a measurement of power that means '1 joule per second'.....

giga is a prefix that means one billion(ie 1000 millions), just like 'kilo' means 1000. eg. kilowatt = 1000 watts

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by ET Warrior

*laughs at astro explaining something that was already known* heeee.

woops. I just noticed it was Mart McFly asking what a GWatt is, I though it was BlackOut....bugger... that was posted really...really late.... ah well, pharque it ! everyone has no excuse for not knowing what a gigawatt is.....!

MTFBWYA

I watched 'The Last Starfighter' last weekend, and in it Grig diverts power from life support to main systems.

By holding a 2"x3" circuit board with a bunch of LED's and touching a wire soldered to one part of the board to another part ... then he just puts the whole thing down!

*That's* what I was intending - things you have to remind yourself (it's only a movie, I can ignore this) ... or just have a laugh.

Mike

Archived