Home

Happy Birthday JK2

WarteX

It's now been 2 years since Jk2 saw daylight. The game was greeted with open arms from gamers all around the world. It's developers, Raven software delivered one of the best star wars games ever created since Dark force 2. It was tense, beautiful, swift and had the best saber combats ever seen in a game. Raven brought back the glory of star wars and made a worthy sequal to Lucas arts briliant Dark force 2.

The multi-player was probably the strongest part of the game. Not because of the usual Deathmatch or Ctf, but because of the ability to challange and duel other players. Jk2 multi-player was like an IRC channel, but with fights. Several server-side mods were released to improve this concept, the first one of those was Vulcanus mod. This nifty little piece of art gave the players various emotes/moves to perform.

Though the Jk2 community was growing, there was some major flaws. A while after the release of jk2, Raven announced an upcoming patch for the game and asked people to post their opinion on what kind of improvements should be in the patch. A lot of players wanted the Multi-player saber combat to be more like the ones in the Single-player. Raven obeyed and released the patch with an overhaul of the saber combat system.

Some loved it, some hated it. Especialy those who had been practicing the game since the release. That was'nt all, the backstab move had become a heck lot more powerful. Players abused the flaw and the community turned into an outrage of upset players. Where ever you joined, there was several players running backwards trying to inflict backstab moves on eachother.

Raven solved the problem with the last patch. The community calmed down, but a lot of people quit playing the game.

Soon after the patch was released, Raven left the game to it's own destiny. Though the loss of players, the community prospered and players kept fighting endless amounts of battles.

I've been playing Jk2 since day of release, I've loved and hated it for 2 years now.

Im proud of being a jk2 veteran and I doubt I'll ever have such great years again.

I've met loads of people from all around the world. I've known more people that most social humanoids ever do.

It's been both tears and pleasure through these 2 years. Friends who quit playing, clans disappearing, lamer population increases, etc.

I'll perhaps never meet the people again that I've had great fun with.

Lets not forget wonderful modders like Shroom duck, Dadmad, Maddog, the NRG team and the long gone Wire lamp studios, who all contributed they're great work to the community.

Anyways, Happy birthday jk2!

I wish all of the jk2 players and the blokes at Raven software and LucasArts the best of all luck.

May the force be with you

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

But its been overtaken by JA....

But that has nothing to do with how good of a game it is. JKII changed gaming for me in 2002 - reinvigorated things in a way that nothing had done since the first FPS games in the early 90's had done.

Mike

Originally posted by WarteX

Jk2 multi-player was like an IRC channel, but with fights. Several server-side mods were released to improve this concept, one of those was Jedi Academy mod. This nifty little piece of art gave the players various emotes/moves to perform.

To me, this is the worst thing that ever happened to JO.

Happy second birthday, JO!

It's still one of the best Star Wars games to date; I'm in the process of replaying the SP game for old time's sake. Even if MP dies, there's plenty of SP levels and mods to keep me occupied. JO will always have a special place in the gaming portion of my heart.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I know it was 2 years on March 28, but my birthday is April 5th, and I am such a pain to shop for that I knew I could give my wife and kids a gift to buy me that I'd love - Jedi Knight II.

So I had to wait a week.

Gulp. Not easy ... had to stay away from here and keep myself from buying it.

I still look back at moments in that game that give me chills:

- The Yavin Training section. The music, the flow, everything was perfect ... after hours of FPS action, it was a true gaming catharsis for me.

- Bespin - that theme. It was never one that struck me, but it is now in the top tier of my favorite movie themes ever. But I like it better in the game ;) too hidden in ESB.

- Battling two saber opponents at a time on Bespin. That was when the saber combat hit a whole new level for me ...

There are more, just part of why this game is and always will be such an important milestone in my personal gaming experience.

Mike

*sniff :( has it been that long. Oh the glorious days of JO and the long hours each night I spent playing online. JO will definitely be one of my all time favorites. I just wish JA could have given the same excitement and heart pounding moments that I have experienced. Anyways, Happy Birthday JO!

Archived