Home

Old Macness

Krazy

Yes I am a PC user (now) but I have an old Mac in my room from the old days. It's a Performa5400, we got it in 1996. I was in 5 when we got this computer (now 13). I grew up with this thing. The hardisk, motherboard, speakers ect are all built into the monitor all that needed conecting was the mouse keyboard and microphone. It's CD drive, hardisk, floppy drive, speakers and monitor all work %100 fine still. It has some great games and I love this little thing but its apparent it won't last much longer. It's almost 8 years old. How much more life do you think it has in it?

usually when a computer dies of 'natural causes' (i.e just from being so old its stops working) the PSU is the first thing to go.

the average PSU will last for about 10 years, although it can be as little as 5 and as many as 15.

other things to consider-

the bearings can go in the CPU fan, if this happens and you're unaware then the CPU will overheat and die.

dust - too much dust can be very harmful, especially to the motherboard. if you want your computer to last then you'll need to open it up and clean it one in awhile.

one of the biggest killers of old computers is power surges. newer computer has surge protectors built into the PSU. so if there is a big power surge, the worse that will happen is the PSU will go, but thats it. when an older computer is hit with a power surge the whole thing can go and i mean everything, keyboard, mouse, monitor, the whole thing... i've seen it happen.

if you take care of computers they will last a long time.

Originally posted by Siv

dust - too much dust can be very harmful, especially to the motherboard. if you want your computer to last then you'll need to open it up and clean it one in awhile.

i once had to check up a computer in a metalworking factory, placed somewhere in the production hall. it was a common desktop case and i found a 2mm height deposit of metal dust everywhere in it.

i still have bad dreams from it.. :D

Archived