Home

A new graphic card, but which?

Sabretooth

I hate to break up the party, but I think it is worth you hearing a second opinion if you're going to part with a fair bit of cash.

I would really avoid the GeForce FXs at the moment - in fact, avoid them entirely. You appear to be wanting to prepare your system for the onslaught of DirectX 9 games that are out/coming out in the next few months. If that is your plan, then a GeForce FX is not the answer. There are commonly known problems with the current crop of FX cards - and they produce shoddy results in the latest DirectX 9 powered games. Frame rate issues, and other performace problems make the cards worth steering clear of.

If you want some serious bang for your buck, look at the Radeon 9800 Pro - and perhaps the 9800XT (although it may not be worth the extra money) - as it out performs the 5900FXs in most cases, and is fully prepared for DirectX 9 powered games. These cards also aren't too expensive - nor do they run at the very high temperatures that the FXs do.

Before making a decision like this, it is really worth checking out a few websites, and reading up on things first. No offence to people in this thread, but buying on the recommendation of forum users is never a wise idea. Obviously that means you don't have to buy what I'm advising you to either, but I'd strongly encourage you to do some serious reading before making a decision.

Just my two cents.

The_One as much as I like Ati(and I do like my 9800 Pro;)) thier drivers are not nearly as stable as Nvidia's, although the FX's completely suck in DirectX9.

Actually, I'd advise for you to just hold out on buying a new video card for a month. The new generation of Nvidia and Ati cards(NV40 and X800, respectively) should be much better with DirectX9(hell, Ati's lowest end card is about as powerful as the 9800Xt.:p).

Originally posted by Tyrion

The_One as much as I like Ati(and I do like my 9800 Pro;)) thier drivers are not nearly as stable as Nvidia's, although the FX's completely suck in DirectX9.

Actually, I'd advise for you to just hold out on buying a new video card for a month. The new generation of Nvidia and Ati cards(NV40 and X800, respectively) should be much better with DirectX9(hell, Ati's lowest end card is about as powerful as the 9800Xt.:p).

By 9800XT in that last sentance, I assume you meant 5900?

Anyway, I've never had any problems with the ATI Catalyst drivers. I think that most of the people who do have driver trouble simply aren't uninstalling the drivers correctly, before upgrading to the latest version. I wish ATI would make it clear that you need to run their separate driver uninstall program before installing the new drivers. Simply uninstalling it from "add/remove programs" won't do the trick.

In my opinion, the Catalysts may have had trouble right at the beginning, but now they are rock solid.

I'd also avoid the new generation of cards due out in the next month or two. They'll be using PCI Express as opposed to AGP, so it's completely new technology. You'll want to wait for the second revision to ensure getting something good (and most probably cheaper).

Originally posted by The_One

By 9800XT in that last sentance, I assume you meant 5900?

Let me clarify: The lowest end of Ati's next generation cards will be as powerful as the current 9800Xt.

Anyway, I've never had any problems with the ATI Catalyst drivers. I think that most of the people who do have driver trouble simply aren't uninstalling the drivers correctly, before upgrading to the latest version. I wish ATI would make it clear that you need to run their separate driver uninstall program before installing the new drivers. Simply uninstalling it from "add/remove programs" won't do the trick.

In my opinion, the Catalysts may have had trouble right at the beginning, but now they are rock solid.

Alright, I'll be truthful. Both drivers are stable, but Nvidia buys out gaming companies more often and makes them optimise the code to the Nv codepath then Ati does. That leads to many problems with Nvidia sponsored games on Ati cards( certain effects disabled, in some cases cannot run at all!).

If you want to play games in all thier glory, go with Ati. If you want to have the most stable drivers, go with Nvidia.

I'd also avoid the new generation of cards due out in the next month or two. They'll be using PCI Express as opposed to AGP, so it's completely new technology. You'll want to wait for the second revision to ensure getting something good (and most probably cheaper).

Actually, the new generation is going to be the last agp-based cards from Ati. For instance, thier new enthusiast card(X800Xt, I think) will come in May as AGP 8X, but in June there's going to be a revision of it in Pci-express.

Hmmm, seems that a lot of people have different opinions on the G cards. And guys, I don't think arguing which is better is helping the guy with his question. And the thruth is (not just my opinion but the sales will show it too) graphics card recomendations fluctuate. This month its ATI brands, last month it was NVIDIA...I mean really it just comes down to what you're willing to pay. And I am contemplating the two for my upcoming....DUN DUN DUN... new computer *a ray of light shines from the heavens*.

And if my calculations are correct it should cost me $625 with the NVIDIA card of course. So as I stated before, it's all about how heafty your wallet is (and mine deffinitly isn't, so 625 is a great deal)

Oh and I'll keep all my fans posted on my specs for the next week or two ;)

Originally posted by Tyrion

Let me clarify: The lowest end of Ati's next generation cards will be as powerful as the current 9800Xt.

Sorry, I misread your original post ;) Mind you, I remember reading a load of articles when the new nVidia FXs were coming out about how good their low end cards were. I remember them saying how well Doom 3 would run on the FX5200 - fat chance! :p

Alright, I'll be truthful. Both drivers are stable, but Nvidia buys out gaming companies more often and makes them optimise the code to the Nv codepath then Ati does. That leads to many problems with Nvidia sponsored games on Ati cards( certain effects disabled, in some cases cannot run at all!).

If you want to play games in all thier glory, go with Ati. If you want to have the most stable drivers, go with Nvidia.

I still maintain I have never had any driver problems with my Radeon 9800 Pro. There was once an issue with Call of Duty - I think it was the 3.8 Catalysts. However, within hours ATI had a patch up on their website - problem solved.

Actually, the new generation is going to be the last agp-based cards from Ati. For instance, thier new enthusiast card(X800Xt, I think) will come in May as AGP 8X, but in June there's going to be a revision of it in Pci-express.

Well, it all depends what you mean by "next generation." The last I heard about ATI's plans was that they were going to introduce the X800XT (AGP) and the X880XT (PCI Express) at the same time.

It seems as if they are going to begin to phase out AGP, as PCI was phased out from graphics cards a few years ago. I'd avoid both the above cards, unless you really need an upgrade now. In which case, go for the AGP version. I really wouldn't hop on the PCI Express band wagon at the first revision of the technology. Besides, the extra bandwidth PCI Express offers won't really be used by games for a year or more.

And @Troopr-Undr-Fir, I really wouldn't regard this as an argument, more a discussion. I'm just trying to tell people the facts, and offer my opinion before they go and blow a big hole in their wallet. And right now, as any knowledgeable hardware expert or publication will tell you, ATI have the lead in the graphics card market - purely because nVidia can't handle the new DirectX 9 games...

well, nvidia just unveiled their new card, the 6900, although its not yet for sale. benchmarks are available at gamespy and tom's hardware websites. the stats are impressive to say the least, but you need at least a 500 watt power supply. initial release will be in agp, but pci express will be unveiled soon afterward. is there anyone like me who only recently switched from pci to agp, and will in the near future switch back to pci (albeit an advanced version) again??? :confused:

i don't know how many more upgrades i can handle

Sorry, I misread your original post ;) Mind you, I remember reading a load of articles when the new nVidia FXs were coming out about how good their low end cards were. I remember them saying how well Doom 3 would run on the FX5200 - fat chance! :p

Yeah, don't even get me started on the 5800...super loud and even a 9600 Pro beat it in DX9 benches..

I still maintain I have never had any driver problems with my Radeon 9800 Pro. There was once an issue with Call of Duty - I think it was the 3.8 Catalysts. However, within hours ATI had a patch up on their website - problem solved.

True, I've luckily had few problems with the Catalyst drivers, although one of the Ati forums I frequent(Rage3D.com), there seem to be a bunch of different bugs. One of larger problems is with blackouts from using LCD's with 9600 Pro's.

Well, it all depends what you mean by "next generation." The last I heard about ATI's plans was that they were going to introduce the X800XT (AGP) and the X880XT (PCI Express) at the same time.

That's the generation I mean. The r400 generation will be the last with both agp and pci-express, the following will be purely pci-express.

It seems as if they are going to begin to phase out AGP, as PCI was phased out from graphics cards a few years ago. I'd avoid both the above cards, unless you really need an upgrade now. In which case, go for the AGP version. I really wouldn't hop on the PCI Express band wagon at the first revision of the technology. Besides, the extra bandwidth PCI Express offers won't really be used by games for a year or more.

I do agree there. As well, a few form factor, BTX, is coming out this year. It'll require new cases and new powersupplies, and I think even new motherboards. With all the new changes coming, I'd wait till around the fall to upgrade.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Um actullay its GeForce 6800 Ultra

See this if you dont belive me http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/128/2/

It'll come as the following:

6800 Ultra, $499, 16 pipes, two Molex connectors, two slots, 400/550

6800, $299, 12 pipes, one Molex connector, one slot, TBD

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/index.html

Info on the Geforce 6800

Archived