Home

Dark Forces 2 Mod

Mr._Katarn

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok thanks Sith_master, I got jk gob but couldnt find anything called ConMan. Anyway I extracted all the files but ive got another problem, first there are .spr files which photodeluxe dosent detect and therefore wont open(the file type is not in tools/folder options/file types, but they seem to only be weapon/force/other projectile fx anyway given the names which could be recreated from scratch and probably wont be assigned to me), also there are .3do files which i cant open but if I'm not mistaken those are models and dont concern me, now without any further ado my REAL problem is that the textures are in .mat format and PhotoDeluxe dosent even display them when I go to open file and set it to display all formats, I tried to tell the computer to open them with photodeluxe to no avail, I dont know if I need a plugin or what. If anyone can help with this problem I would appreciate a response ASAP, thank you.

Oh well I dont think ill be having a site host pictures but the one I was going to post is from level 10 where a weird glitch occurs which freezes every frame if stand in the right place, when you swing your saber a couple times it freezes the frames and makes it look like there are hundreds of sabers sticking out in all directions.

Yes I did get ConMan and I did convert the files but 1 problem that no one can help me with is that I need to get used to photodeluxe, all ive dome for the most part is energy textures(lightsabers and the like), so now what I need to do is figure out all the tools and work out several HUNDRED techniques for texturing, which will probably take weeks, but i catch on pretty fast and this mod will most likely take a few years anyway so I think I will still be useful. Anyway thanks for the pointers Sith_master2000.

I'd guess that that strange glitch is caused by somehow getting the camera outside a wall. I haven't seen that in any of the JK games, but I know it can happen in the Half-Life engine (which I think is actually the Quake engine, which the JK engine imitates) if it's set up a certain way.

Probably, but it still looks pretty strange and cool. But speaking of engines, have you ever noticed in the unreal engine(I believe thats what its called)which Americas Army and rainbow six 3 are based on I think, and also quake 3 games in some cases(dont know if this applies to other engines), have this thing with the fog that the area near the edge of your screen isnt as fogged up as the rest, so if you turn to the side so that the area you want to see is near the edge of your screen, you will be able to see it better than looking directly at it.

I have a few questions, anyone who can answer them please do.

1- I have PhotoDeluxe Business Edition 1.0(now discontinued), is it possible using this tool to recreate DF2 textures in JO level of detail, most importantly is it possible to bevel(I think thats the right word) the edge of part of a texture and if so how difficult will it be?

2- If this tool is not suited or incapable of the job of texture recreation on the level of jedi outcast, which tool would you reccomend, where can i get it and how much will it cost?

3- If I can not get a new tool at this time, is there anything I can do in the meantime to try to make do with what I have?

Hi, I'm new here!

I'm realy looking forward for to the Dark Forces Mod and when I heart about a DF 2 Mod, I thought: Well, maybe you can be of some help!

I have already mailed the guy from the inofficial page, but dunno, if he recieved my mail. So here is my offer!

I'm a member of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Team. I'm working on models, textures and Opting there. So far I have done some ships, including:

Modular Conveyor

Containers F-K

Modified Corvette

As we from the XWAU team do kind of recreating the old somewhat crappy original models and textures to something more nice for your eyes! So I think I'm also able to recreate textures from DF2, too.

BTW, here is a image from the recent finished Modified Corvette:

MCRV3.jpg

Just let me know, how you like it!

BTW I have nearly no experience in Jedi Knight Editing! I have done some first steps in Radiant and the Old DF2 editor, but its not much! But I'm willing to learn!

Gen. Armageddon: If money is no object then get Photoshop, otherwise I would highly recommend the Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) as it can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do with the exception of CMYK (unless you were planning on doing DF2: The Book, of course ;)).

Gringlas: Nice pic! Could you send some representative texture samples to df2modtryouts@yahoo.com?

Speaking of which, the silence at that email address is deafening! Even though I put that contact info on the unofficial web site and here in this forum. Like I said before, if you're interested in helping the Mod, that's the point of contact...

Other than that, I'm hoping to have a nice update in the next day or so. Stay tuned! ;)

Well money IS a bit of an object, my brother and I are planning to upgrade our computer as its getting a little outdated in some areas (only 1 gigahertz processor which is first on the list, but vid card is still ok), should have the processor upgraded by christmas and so with birthday money in march I could get photoshop, but until then ill try gimp.

and 2 questions- I only got internet access 2 years ago so im not so great with some acronyms, anyway whats CMYK and what do you mean by "doing DF2: The Book"?

CMYK stands for Cyan Magenta Yellow blacK, and is generally used for digital images that will be fixed in some sort of print process--hence the reference to DF2: The Book. ;) For just about everything else, The Gimp works very well and won't cost you a single thin dime. :) You would do well to master this tool.

Your DF2 mod is friggin awesome.

ignoring all previous posts i'd like to throw in one of my own thoughts...

After taking a look at your website, i was wondering if there is a way where you can keep the same old textures/models of the old game, but with using the improved gaming engine of Jedi Academy...

I guess what I'm thinking is just a quicker way to get the gameplay we want, except with the good old retro-style look of the old Jedi Knight that we've all grown to love so very much...

just my thoughts on this mod, i'll try not to bother anyone else with any more of my random ideas:D

what were aiming for is to remake all the original textures so that they look the same only better(higher resolution, added detail, overall better quality), there was never any intention to use the existing JA textures (maybe some more basic ones), but if you were talking about using the originals over recreated ones, everyone has a right to an opinion but that I just dont understand.

OK, now that I've finally gotten enough time to actually do something, I've made a *small* update to the unofficial website (it may become official soon, if Mr. Katarn doesn't come back ;)).

The One: Once the demo is out, would it be possible to set up the DF2 forum (or whatever it was that we talked about)? I'm not trying to be pushy--believe me, I know what it's like to be busy. :p

Shamus,

Excuse me if this sounds a bit too green, but can the textures not be larger than the orginals but maintain their aspect ratio? I'm making this speculation based upon previous texture recreation projects I've come across, such as the quake and doom ones.

Also, probably another stupidly obvious question, if we are also to improve the architecture somewhat, for errors in the original map or just to improve it and make it 'fancy', will creating some textures be a wasted venture if there will be no surface to use them on?

I hope this all makes sense. I'm not knocking the venture at all, I'm just keen to see it completed. I'm going to post the news on Mapcore as there's some pretty nifty talent over there. I don't know if anyone saw their HL texture recreation thread, but it was mighty impressive.

edit: typo

Hey Disco, there's no such thing as a stupid question--to me anyway. ;)

As far as upping the resolution on textures goes, it's not only possible but desirable. The original textures were tiny and it would show badly if we didn't uprez. And as far as textures being "wasted," I wouldn't worry about it. Almost all of the textures are used multiple times in multiple places. The level designers were very clever with their use of the texture set. ;) So even if we obscure a wall with new architecture, the texture on that wall is most likely used elsewhere, and to good effect. :D

And thanks for the mention on Mapcore--the more talented people we can get involved, the better. :) I will be putting up textures for the rest of the mod, but only after I weed out the duplicates... I'm mulling over the possiblity of doing the same thing with the reference maps--but I'm not so sure about that.

Ok, waste nothing sounds like a good plan to me. :)

Have you considered asking modelers out there, who have already remodeled some of the JK characters, about using their work? Hapslash ( http://www.hapslash.com/base.html ) has done some notable work in that area and I'm pretty sure he's on the Dark Forces team, so he may not have a problem with other teams employing his talents. Just a quick look at his site shows two models that you would need: Gamorrean Guard & IG-88 (could be modified to be 8T-88).

http://www.hapslash.com/wip_sw6_gamorrean.html

http://www.hapslash.com/wip_sw5_ig88.html

One other thing, I noticed the texture page on your homepage but it seems to be running awfully slowly. It's not the speed that worries me, but more that I feel like I'm personally slashdotting you every time I look at it. If it's not putting excessive strain on your server then that's fine, but I'd feel bad if you got cut off for excessive bandwidth use :(

Anyway, all the best with this.

edit: typo

I know about Hapslash and his incredible modeling ability--I've already downloaded his improved Stormtrooper model and was waiting for him to finish up a few others before I nicked 'em. ;) BTW, Hapslash, did I mention that your models are brilliant? ;)

As far as the textures page goes, don't worry about it. The thumbnails are probably weighing in around a whopping 12K or so per page, so I don't think I have to worry about bandwidth limits just yet. :) The reason that it's slow is that it's running a perl script on an old 486 running at an astonishing 75 MHz (at least it was astonishing 10 years ago). :p In other words, don't sweat it.

an old 486 running at an astonishing 75 MHz (at least it was astonishing 10 years ago).

Wow, my family's old 486 is just a 33 Mhz and it's not hooked up to the Internet anymore. My dad's been saying we should either get rid of it or use it to mess around with Linux, but it's been a couple years now and it's still just sitting around.

I was just wondering: Shamus, are you looking for someone to be webmaster for your mod? I'm not saying your page is bad or anything, and I'm not really volunteering either, as I don't technically even have time to post this right now. Just curious, really.

Archived