Home

Concerned about the graphics

Elite Jedi

Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad

The explosions looks kinda bad.

Of course we're not thinking about going 5 years back in terms of graphics just for the sake of gameplay. We want something that can run smoothly for most people at medium setting.

Smooth gameplay>graphics

You've only seen the explosions in screenshots, it would look better live and moving

Yes, adding all the spit and polish in the final months of development can really make a difference. I tend to agree that the game will look much better in action, and if other MP gaming experiences are anything to go by, in the end the scenery will simply fade into the background and you'll be concentrating on fragging opposing players, or completing objectives.

I'm not saying that the graphics should take a huge step back - no one really wants that. But performance is key, so I don't mind a few sacrifices being made in the name of performance.

I've recently been playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein MP again, and the graphics in that game are perfectly acceptable to me online. I would actually place far more importance on the actual level design, which dictates game flow, so I hope they are paying a lot of attention to how the levels are set up, and give consideration to how each of the different classes will play the maps.

Snipers, for example, will be vulnerable to air attacks - so in maps like Endor/Hoth with open terrain it would be good to see some overhanging rocks, etc., where you can crawl to try and keep under cover.

I'm actually not too worried about the graphics. If they look halfway decent, then they'll run very smooth on my pc. The only thing i would be concerned with is the maximum number of players you could have at any given time. I hope you can have up to 64 like in vietnam, at least on the PC anyway.........

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

RTCW uses the Quake3 engine, which is a great engine that both looks good and doesn't demand much. It's a perfect example of a professional engine.

I thought you just said that good water effects are a standard in modern games.

in the Q3 engine it's just a moving flat texture..

Archived