Home

Building new computer here, need some opinions.

Nerd_Annhilator

Okay, I finally am able to build my own computer, and I really don't know which Nvidia card to get... (I want Nvidia, don't ask why) I'm looking at the GeForce FX 5500 256MB DDR AGP Graphics Card, for a price of about 236 dollars... But I really don't know the performance of this card. Anyone know if its any good? (like, decent drivers and stuff)

Well I recently defended NVIDIA in another thread (I said that G cards fluctuate and ATI were in right now, but it could see different sales soon), but yesterday I got my NVIDIA Geforce 5200 in the mail after it being 2 1/2 weeks late. And guess what happend? The crappy shipping company broke the packaging it was in and of course broke the card. And I about kicked a hole into my naighbors apartment :mad:. So now today I ordered a ATI Radeon 9200SE in the mail (shipping company, well the same one I got my 'intact' mother board form) and it should be $85...So I say SCREW YOU NVIVDIA! next time focus on the consumer not the saving money on your shipping companies. Arrgh, last time I stick up for somehing.

oh, back to your problem Eggy, I have never had a g card over 64mb...so sorry this post was worth nothing to you :o

bart.gif

Call Of Duty800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200

FX5500 48 38 30 22

R9600XT 135 109 78 52

5950 Ultra 138 130 106 81

UT 2004 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200

FX5500 69 49 33 27

5950 ULTRA 120 120 110 97

Edit: Found a SWEET deal for a SWEET card (ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 mb)Here (With free 2 day shipping)

and if you are looking to having Half Life 2.... look Here

TiE

Yeah, I can't get the 6800 because 1) I have a budget...Kind of small budget 2) It requires 480 watss of power, and From what I can tell, the computer is only going to HAVE a 460 watt power supply, and it needs two AGP slots, and my motherbaord is only going to have one. : / I'm thinking of going with a 9200 now, actually.

i still prefer nvidia, it has much better support.

So I say SCREW YOU NVIVDIA! next time focus on the consumer not the saving money on your shipping companies. Arrgh, last time I stick up for somehing.

nvidia don't actually make the cards, they make the GPUs which other companies use to make the cards. you don't buy nvidia cards from nvidia.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

It's ok but for a new computer I'd really want a gig.

Exactly. 128MB-384MB may be good for average workings, while 512MB is good for let's say moderate gaming and work. 512MB is good enough but not the best. But, I recommend 1GB for gaming, programming, work, etc., and just so your computer doesn't slow down. Of course, in IG's case... this doesn't help as he had a virus. Of course I believe you won't. Here are some suggestions if you will take some for processors; of course you don't have to change your mind or anything I'm just suggesting stuff that I would use to build my computer.

If you want to be ahead of the game and have the budget for this, get the AMD Athlong 64 3400 (or 3200) +.

Or, you could get one of the many Intel Pentium 4 HT processors. If you get an Intel processor, remember that HT is handy for multi-tasking.

I'm hanging fire on upgrades until I know the 'recommended' (not minimum) specs for games like STALKER, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and some others. The way things are looking, I probably won't upgrade until the Autumn.

I can only say I've had no problems with my Nvidia GeForce FX5900 card. I had glitches in a lot of games using an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, but all those problems went away with the Nvidia card.

So I'm happy with Nvidia.

yah, UT 2004 is like what? 6 gigs?

C:\ I have 20 gigs of space for the system stuff

10 gigs used - 10 gigs free

D:\ I have 55 gigs of space for games and stuff (I have 4 'Program Files')

35 gigs used - 20 gigs free

E:\ I have 19 gigs for personal stuff

11 gigs used - 8 gigs free

56 gigs right there!

One of them is like 15 gigs (Its like 4 years old)

the other is about 80 gigs (Like 3 years old) :p

TiE

Okay, heres what I got. (and I built it! it works wonderfully)

ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB card

1 Gig of ram

2.8 GHZ pentium 4 processor

WinXP

CD R/RW / DVD drive

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 LS Sound card (someone find me the drivers? Came with non....weird.)

and the rest.

What do you think?

Originally posted by Egg Destroyer

Okay, heres what I got. (and I built it! it works wonderfully)

ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB card

1 Gig of ram

WinXP

CD R/RW / DVD drive

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 LS Sound card (someone find me the drivers? Came with non....weird.)

and the rest.

What do you think?

Man, Im soooo jealous :(

nVidia GeForce 5200 FX 128 MB

512 MB of Ram

Windows XP Professional + XP Plus

CD Drive and CD Writer/Drive

:(

TiE

My future computer:

Any ATX case, either a SilverStone or Chieftec one.

Antec 550W TruePower Power Supply

Western Digital Caviar 80GB (I don't need that much memory)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4c or a Pentium 4HT

ATI Radeon 9600XT or nVidia FX5200

Windows XP Home Edition

Plextor 708A DVD+-R/+-RW

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

And.... a flat screen monitor! :D

Nice computer from the sounds of it Egg Destroyer.

Archived