Home

gadget and graphics card recomendations?

toms

I just got an unexpected load of money to spend, so i want to get some sort of really cool gadget that i would never have been able to afford normally. I'm looking for suggestions up to about 500 quid.

Anyone seen anything cool around recently?

(vaguely thinking of an upgraded, wireless tivo or a shuttle mini-pc to sit under my tv and work as a tivo/emulator).

-----------------------------

Also, i have about 100 quid to spend on a new graphics card, but i haven't been keeping track of the market and it is now full of 100s of models i don't recognise.

I have an ATI radion 8500 that i like, but i think i'm going to need something bigger to run games like doom3 and farcry. However I know that just cos it has a bigger number in the name doesn't mean it is better.

I just need a middle of the range one that isn't handicapped in any way and will last a little while before replacing it. Any ideas?

Oh, and not one with a huge fan/power requirement either. Radeon 9200/9600??

Well I dont really know how much 500 squid gets in the UK...... will it get you a tv/dvd in your car........ theyre cool ! But only if you have a decent car, and go on long trips............

how about something like an i-pod, if youre into music.......... or any other mp3 player you can double as a flash disk....

as for graphic cards, i have a notebook, so only really know about notebook variety cards, and the range *isnt* extensive....

how about the entire DVD box set of 'The Bill' I love that show !

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

how about the entire DVD box set of 'The Bill' I love that show !

mtfbwya

yeah...have no idea what quid is...but i'm gonna agree that an ipod or other mp3 player would be pretty cool

and that's just wrong astro! :p

A good mp3 player I would like to get is the Creative Nomad MuVo TX 512MB, about $250... but since my budget is below that I'll have to get the 256MB version.

As for your graphics card, I always say get an ATI Radeon 9600XT or any nVidia card.

Or, maybe you can buy the flat screen monitor you've always been waiting for! :D:p

here's what you do

first you log into eBay and do a search for my screen name under sellers

then you buy up all my vintage Star Wars 12" action figures and FAO Schwartz 2-pack exclusives, and everybody wins

I also have over a hundred figures on not-so-mint cards for $.99 a pop

and an old school millenium falcon carry case!

so yeah, screw that tekno-babble-crap and come buy something with lasting value

500 quid = about 750usd. except everything is more expensive here so in buying power 500 quid is about 500usd.

I don't have room to get anymore figures im afraid! :( They'd just end up in a cubboard somewhere. Besides, i've never liked the idea of keeping stuff in the box on a card... toys are menat to be played with.

I had thought about a flatscreen monitor, but i'm not sure the expense is justified by the advantages. Same for an Ipod. I had thought of an iRiver, but i already have a SD card mp3 player and I think 2 might be overkill.

I'm leaning towards a MSI 180 mini pc to stick under my TV as i could use it as a tivo-style pvr, a dvd player/burner, an mp3 jukebox and a snes/nes/n64 emulator. THen i could wire it up to a wireless network and stream video to my other pc. Might be a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none though.

with the ATI Radeon 9600XT, is this modern enough to take care of upcoming games like HL2, D3, farcry etc? is the XT important, or are all 9600s created equal?

I'm still tempted to get something completely outrageous that i'd never normally buy though: such as this or this

cheers for the ideas...

Gagdets? What about Alienware? :D

Originally posted by toms

Also, i have about 100 quid to spend on a new graphics card, but i haven't been keeping track of the market and it is now full of 100s of models i don't recognise.

I dont know how much is 100 quid that in US $$$. But if you want to play games like Far Cry or Doom 3, maybe a 5600 ultra if you're an nvidia fan, 9600 Pro if you're an ATI kind of guy :)

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Gagdets? What about Alienware? :D

I dont know how much is 100 quid that in US $$$. But if you want to play games like Far Cry or Doom 3, maybe a 5600 ultra if you're an nvidia fan, 9600 Pro if you're an ATI kind of guy :)

while he's at it he can buy you a less uglier avatar Crow....

mtfbwya

Archived