Home

Blade: Trinity trailer on online

Sivy

Originally posted by toms

your just mad vos of that ep in buffy where they took the piss out of all those goth vampire wannabes and then slaughtered them all:D ;)

I don't watch Buffy anymore, so I wouldn't know..

It's like some kind of mtv-dracula :rolleyes:

We want Lestat, Dracula, or Bloodrayne! :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Darth Groovy

He looks like Michael Jackson dressed up like one of the Muskateers. WTF?!

Blade is like Wesley Snipes' best role. He simply IS BLADE!

pfft ! they obviously dont teach art appreciation in IL......

VHD was inspired by Donatello's(not the turtle, the sculptor!) sublime masterpiece in Bronze - "David" (created 1444-1446)

donatello_david.jpg

hope that 'aint too much book learnin all in one day for ya

:p

wesley snipes has had many great roles... nino brown, passenger 57, wildcats, michael jacksons "Bad" video... he he he

mtfbwya

Double posting again?

Let's see...

Westly Snipes with a supercool attitude, doing martial arts, kicking ass, throwing fancy vampire killing weapons, driving a pimped out car, all decked in leather and sunglasses, vs your crappy anime thing, who resembles Wacko Jacko, dresses up like a Muskateer, AND is apparently based on some statue, that was created so many centuries ago, that nobody even cares any more?

Yeah, VHD is so kewl....

Next...:rolleyes:

VHD > Blade.

and I dunno about you but, I remember in biology (and various vampire/dracula books) that when you die, you become pale.... also D being Dracula does kinda give him some sort of reason to be so pasty. Besides countless tales of a vampire of old, fighting the "new wave" of vampires have been made. To me though, VHD will always be greater than Blade. Don't get me wrong, Blade's great. But D is where it's at, and where it all begins. :)

Double posting again?

...AND is apparently based on some statue, that was created so many centuries ago, that nobody even cares any more?

Yeah, VHD is so kewl....

Next...:rolleyes:

Dont say "nobody" when you just mean *you*

Im glad you dont care because that shows how totally devoid of cultural awareness you are. Have you been outside of the US... dare I say have you been to Florence, Venice or Rome.....when these beautiful artworks were being produced by these Italian artists, most of the rest of europe, and the world was still in the dark ages.... This statue is the embodiment of the renaissance, which is the wellspring of the ideals that have shaped modern western society and creative purpose.

now, if that hasnt made any sense, just let me know, so I can come up with a 'dullard' version of it.....

pfft... get back to muscled up men in their pimp cars... sheesh

*bows to Sithy*

mtfbwya

Guys just to clear this up Blade has been around in Marvel comics before japanimation was even thought of, no need to argue because there is absolutely no resemblance whatsoever between Blade and D except what all of those types of characters have in common: they kill vampires!!!!!!!!! that and they are part one themselves.... : )

Originally posted by Nalukai

Guys just to clear this up Blade has been around in Marvel comics before japanimation was even thought of, no need to argue because there is absolutely no resemblance whatsoever between Blade and D except what all of those types of characters have in common: they kill vampires!!!!!!!!! that and they are part one themselves.... : )

you speak of what you do not know. :)

anime has been around since the 60's. kthxpwnd.

aight youre right... Dr Osamu Tezuka did start his first animation Co in 1958, and Blade's first appearance was in Tomb of Dracula #10 in 1972... but D was made in 1985 so there is still no way that Blade came from D's concept.

Originally posted by Nalukai

aight youre right... Dr Osamu Tezuka did start his first animation Co in 1958, and Blade's first appearance was in Tomb of Dracula #10 in 1972... but D was made in 1985 so there is still no way that Blade came from D's concept.

wrong, D's movie appeared in 85, the story of him is ever so much older. :)

my qualm isnt even that Blade or VHD is older. As an expression of art, VHD appeals in aesthetics and style. As I said, VHD is inspired by classical art, Blade is inspired by more long coated pseudo gothic hollywood comic book dreariness..... I dont mind the blade movies that much, but theres not much style there, just pimp-mobiles and karate kicks... As far as animation goes, anime has style, its *art*, I am really pressed to think of anything equivalent that comes from the US, the two nations just have a different way of artistic expression in animation.....

Sithy, keep fightin the good fight ! :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Dont say "nobody" when you just mean *you*

Im glad you dont care because that shows how totally devoid of cultural awareness you are. Have you been outside of the US... dare I say have you been to Florence, Venice or Rome.....when these beautiful artworks were being produced by these Italian artists, most of the rest of europe, and the world was still in the dark ages.... This statue is the embodiment of the renaissance, which is the wellspring of the ideals that have shaped modern western society and creative purpose.

now, if that hasnt made any sense, just let me know, so I can come up with a 'dullard' version of it.....

*bows to Sithy*

mtfbwya

First of all, yes, I spent 5 years in the Navy and seen all sorts of things....outside the USA thank you.

Second of all, I have seen ALL KINDS of anime, including VHD, and it has little to nothing to do with Blade, or vice versa, so you can stop that argument there.

Three, whenever you try to be an itillectual, it just sucks. 3/4ths of all of your posts are designed to get a reaction out of someone. As a Supermod, I look at things like that. Especially when you bring my name up in such a freqent manner.

True, after watching tons of anime, I still can't get into it, but I DID try. It's just not my thing. It seems fake, corney and silly to me. Not EVERYONE on this forum is a die hard anime fan, nor do we HAVE to be. I like things that are fun, be it comics, cartoons, games whatever. But honestly, just because something is based on a damn statue, does not mean that it is cool, and by that same token, something based on a comic does not mean it is cool either. This is about matters of opinion, and not attacking one another's character because of our beliefs. Heed my warning, else you WILL be sorry. And yes, it IS possible to disagree with someone on here without your typical stereotypical nonsense.

, yeah THAT kind of stuff. Get off your high horse and join this little realm I tend to call reality. Welcome to the internet. Just because someone does not agree with you, does not give you the right to insight an argument. This thread was about a trailer for Blade III, and your first post was about how Blade ripped off of VHD which was also imposible. The next post on this thread had BETTER not be argumentitive or I'll close it down. This sort of thing takes place in the Senate forums where they have serious discussions about touchy topics. Honestly, arguing about a movie trailer and why it sucks compared to some anime flick is just plain rediculous. :rolleyes:

....Three, whenever you try to be an itillectual, it just sucks.

Firstly,

I dont know what you mean by itillectual, im assuming you're trying to spell 'intellectual' but are having a "bad spelling day" :D *reports this to resident spelling nazi, ET*

Secondly,

you seem to be taking things a tad personally groovy. Theres no need to close this thread just because we have a difference in outlook. This little realm called *reality*, are you referring to LF, or how things should be *according to you*. I really ain't bothered if ppl hate anime, or like coco pops.... Reality has naught to do with Blade or VHD.....

It seems myresponses are stereotypical..... (firstly, a daresay you know much about me at all)...... But, regarding stereotypical repsonses:

lets see...a navy man, likes movies featuring a guy with a supercool attitude doing martial arts, kicking ass, throwing fancy vampire killing weapons, driving a pimped out car, all decked in leather and sunglasses. all of this being more cool than a similar character that was inspired by classical art...apparently based on some statue, that was created so many centuries ago, that nobody even cares any more? what was I thinking, no-one cares about classical art anymore !

Thirdly,

I really dont see the harm in discussing the aesthetics in anime vs a movie like blade because their characters *are* very similar, but not in presentation. I find that type of discrepancy to be very intriguing , it reflects something about the artists producing them and the audience consuming it. This isnt necessarily something reserved for the senate chambers, or arent we allowed to discuss and debate in here......

Fourth & Forsemostly,

btw : BLADE 3 TRAILER ROXXORZ W00T !

Finally - dont get mad at me grooveh, I love you man.... I just like rufflin philiosophical feathers(but in a manner that doesnt use swear words)....

mtfbwya

PS - I gotta get my high-horse/unicorn back to ET by midnight, can I go know.... :p

pfft ! they obviously dont teach art appreciation in IL......

VHD was inspired by Donatello's(not the turtle, the sculptor!) sublime masterpiece in Bronze - "David" (created 1444-1446)

donatello_david.jpg

Bah. Donatello understood little of sculpting the warrior. His David is influenced by Estruscan bronze figurines, but he would have done better to open himself to the influences of the Hellenistic triumph of Greek works that evolved from simple, formulaic Kouros borrowed from the Near East in the 7th century BCE to the unparalleled detail of The Gaul Killing Himself in the 3rd century BCE.

If VHD was "inspired" by Donetello's David, then surely the image and emotion and honor of Gaul and warriors like him lent inspiration to Blade, an honorable warrior in the tradition of ancient heros like this Gallic chieftain, who had the courage to take his own life rather than submit to his enemy.

In the end, VHD is a cartoon... Blade is a cumulative work acting, physical prowness/skill, and creative challenge of providing the illusion that actual people are performing what is viewed on the screen. I'll take a cartoon on Saturday morning anytime, but late at night in a Dolby/THX Theater I want Blade.

Not to mention that Guillermo Del Toro Director of Blade II said that there was "ALOT more of Wesley Snipes in the Blade character than he imagined. Wesley Snipes has definitely taken a love for this character which he has brought so much to. I am really exited that he is returning for the third film, most major actors drop out after the second (IE: Robocop) but Snipes is haning in on this ride, and has even become an executive producer.

So what started off as a mediocre Marvel Comic character, eventually became Stephen Norrington's vision, which was built upon by Guillermo Del Toro, and is being expanded upon by David S. Goyer, who wrote the screenplay for Dark City (another one of my top ten favorite films) The only constant driving force in these films is Wesley Snipes who has basically adopted and tailor made the character to what he is. Not to mention that his interaction with supporting actor vetren Chris Cristopherson (Whistler), is the perfect buddy movie type relationship. Something that Hollywood has got away from. This is very exiting, I can't wait until it comes out. :D

Originally posted by SkinWalker

Bah. Donatello understood little of sculpting the warrior.....

If VHD was "inspired" by Donetello's David, then surely the image and emotion and honor of Gaul and warriors like him lent inspiration to Blade, an honorable warrior in the tradition of ancient heros like this Gallic chieftain, who had the courage to take his own life rather than submit to his enemy.

SkinWalker, I feel like Ive been mind raped ! You started off that post wonderfully, with a valid insight into the classical inspirations of renaissance sculpture(I'd like to know your refs actually), and turned it into an ad for Blade ! How dare you sir ! :p

btw, the reason I directly link Donatello's 'David' to VHD isnt merely because I think so..... unlike your *extremely* lengthy bow drawn, comparing a hellenic masterpiece to a superhero flick...umm...

*clears throat*

I am a *huge* Final Fantasy fan (many already know this) Anyone who is crazy about FF and its visuals/characters will know that the artist who created this unique look is Yoshi(taka) Amano. Many moons ago, I was reading an interview with Mr Amano, mainly discussing his visuals for the FF games, especially FF9(my fave). Within the context of his interview, and when discussing FF9, he describes often being inspired by history and culture-specific themes. In FF9 there are clear inferences to renaissance europe (Burmecia, Alexandria), all the way to central america(madain sari, conde peita). Mr Amano expnaded on this point saying that he is fascinated by classical art, particularly sculpture. He noted his original illustrations for VHD, which were revised for the 2001 feature "Bloodlust", drew heavily on Donatello's David, of which he has a deep admiration for, unlike you obviously Skinwalker ;( So, I gave the reference to Donatello, not because I thought it was cool, but because it is what*actually* inspired the artists that created this anime character and the associated feature. I beg to see parallels between Blade and anything else apart from a cool comic book character....(which he is)

but great points of discussion though ! (If only our other mods were as clever)

*cheers Skinwalker* :D

mtfbwya

well, based on the original incarnation of blade, i'd say the main inspiration was Shaft, or some other blaxploitation hero.

I think that all the comic books companies were attempting to create black characters to cash in on this trend in the 70s... almost all of which were total cariacatures that failed.

The Vampire Hunter D saga began in 1983 when Hideyuki Kikuchi wrote the first Vampire Hunter D Novel. He then went on to create a total of 12 novels spread out over 19 volumes. Their success grew and it was inevitable that an animated production was not far off.

In 1985, the first Vampire Hunter D novel was adapted into a 75 minute long OAV. The character designs had been drastically simplified to allow for easier animation. Fairing well in Japan, D was dubbed and released in the United States by Streamline Pictures where it became a runaway success. Despite the poor dubbing the movie quickly joined ranks among Akira and Bubblegum Crisis as classics.

In 1998 the second Vampire Hunter D movie was released in Japan. It is based off the third D novel "Yôsatsukô" (Demon Deathchase). With advances in animation procedures and CG art the character designs hew more closely to Yo****aka Amano's (Final Fantasy, Sandman:The Dream Hunters) original concepts.

just for info :D

Originally posted by toms

...just for info :D

great stuff man ! Thanks for the info ! :D Thats what I call a valid contribution...especially nice hearing VHDs full history :)

*cheers Toms*

Toms, have you ever been to Whitechapel, London(and dont say "yes - in Monopoly !" ) :p

mtfbwya

great stuff man ! Thanks for the info ! :D Thats what I call a valid contribution...especially nice hearing VHDs full history :)

VHD?

Awww ****, can you get infected with that by just saying it?

I hope not :mad:

OH NO MY SCROT!!!!

*realizes he is way too late for this thread, but continues anyway*

The fuhg is everyone stressing about this VD guy from Japan?

from what I've seen, I agree with groovy...micky does look like him, almost mirror image actually. Cept I think the cartoon looks bettah :rolleyes:.

Blade was created in the 70's people, and is still going strong.

And yes wesely is the best person for the role...hmmm this give me an idea.

I wonder who else would make a good blade?

and if anyone says Mr thriller I will personally make this muffin in my hand analy intrude your poop shoot.

Try me :mad:

Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir

*realizes he is way too late for this thread, but continues anyway*

I wonder who else would make a good blade?

yes, troop, you are too late if you [huge pun]wanna be startin somethin[/huge pun]

:p

Heaps of dudes could play blade, its not really his delivery of superbly written dialogue that makes those movies popular or enjoyable... so anyone could play him, like Samuel L Jackson, Vin Diesel, Will smith, Ving Rhames, Sabretooth etc

:D

mtfbwya

he is a pretty one dimensional wise cracking action hero... so a lot of people could play him pretty well. Although snipes has done as good a job as anybody.

I just wish they would give him a LITTLE more depth, or a TINY bit of character development to make me care a bit more about him. BUt that is the script's fault, not the actor.

Archived