Home

Eu:njo

Sharpshooter

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jaden Malip

And what exactly what would you be standing on in space?

If you push it with a greater force than its planets gravity its gonna move. It's simple physics.

What you also seem to be saying is that if an asteroid his the moon it wouldn't move.

I'm talking about a single being. Not an asteroid. And yes I know if you apply more force than the gravity of the planet it will move. But we're talking about a single person and a large moon.

Originally posted by Jaden Malip

If you push it with a greater force than its planets gravity its gonna move. It's simple physics.

Perhaps you fell asleep during physics class? Because since we're talking about crashing a moon DOWN on a planet, you would have to apply force greater than the Centripetal force caused by it's orbit, or 1/2 * mass * (velocity ^ 2)

Lets just assume it's a really small, slow moving moon...50,000 KG moon moving at 50 Km/h. You would need a force of 62,500,000 Newtons to bring it out of orbit, and this is a TINY moon that's moving in a ridiculously slow obrit :dozey:

However, if you were talking about pushing it OUT of orbit, you wouldn't really need a force equal to gravity to accomplish it, just put your force in the direction of it's orbit. If you speed up it's orbit the centripetal force will increase to the point where it will break orbit quite easily, since you only need a small increase in speed anyways, because the velocity is a squared component.

I ususally do fall asleep in physics, screwed up in the exam too. The weirdest thing is, my physics teacher used to do weapons tech in the government. She kept going on about all this stuff that she probably can't say!

Back to topic:

Shatterpoints is amazing, Cestus Deceptions pretty cool, but not as good. I wanna get the one where it has Anakin's Jedi Knight trial with Neeja Halcyon.

My favorites have always been the Zahn series, you know all the Thrawn stuff. Mostly because I just love the whole tactician stuff. How he can read the peoples art to know how they would react to situations, that just sealed the deal for me haha. I've read every single one of those EU books between the end of Empire Strikes Back, all the way to where NJO starts, I read the first book of that series, haven't read anymore after that...

Originally posted by yaebginn

the vong pulled it out of its orbit.

You don't seem to realize the amount of force that would be required to accomplish such a feat :dozey:

Now, while I usually don't nitpick details like that in Sci-Fi....someone brought up the ridiculousness and then somebody tried defending it. I'm merely proving a point.

• 2 weeks later...

where there's njo bashing I smell ET....

:p

I've had this debate in the EU forums endless times. People will either like NJO, or not like it at all..... Do we need to argue over it ? :p

Ah , Zahn. Yes, he gave us great characters, to be sure, but the man cant write *about them* His characterisations are cartoonish at best...

is it only me who thinks the "Luuke" and "Joruus" ideas are freakin *more stupid* than ewoks defeating the empires supposedly finest troops.... ?

secondly, to explore a characters mental anguish and battle with pain and torture, Matt Stover spent a *whole book*, in the unforgettable Traitor...

Zahn, in the Thrawn trilogy, doesnt bother with this, he uses caps lock instead :

YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER !!!

Hmmm, lets see, I think Mara must be in mental anguish..... :p

pfft...zahn, gimme Mike Stackpole, James Luceno, Aaron Allston anytime ... What Zahn needs to do is pull his finger out and stop writing about Thrawn - his hand, his foot, his buttcrack or the OFP.... :p

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

where there's njo bashing I smell ET....

And wherever there are prostitutes, also there is Astrotoy :dozey:

Honestly, Zhan is a Science Fiction writer, through and through, and he's one of the best Sci fi writers ever. Science fiction at it's heart is a lot less about intense characterization and lot more about super cool crap happening. ;)

Originally posted by ET Warrior

And wherever there are prostitutes, also there is Astrotoy :dozey:

Honestly, Zhan is a Science Fiction writer, through and through, and he's one of the best Sci fi writers ever. Science fiction at it's heart is a lot less about intense characterization and lot more about super cool crap happening. ;)

both of those are sound points :D

although I thought it was refreshing to see the EU books dealing more deeply with characters, not just space battles and cool crap all the time, which was getting damn boring :(

mtfbwya

Archived