Home

Why did Jango clone himself?

Pad

I accidently watched epII again last night and when I saw the cloning part on Kamino I wondered why Jango had made an unaltered clone without growth acceleration of himself: Boba.

Was it just so someone followed his footsteps or are there maybe other reasons?

Well, let's see, I don't think he wanted to take care of a wife when he was traveling all over the galaxy tracking down bounties...plus his wife (and possible children) would be in constant danger.

Also, like ET said, he probably wanted someone who was as genetically exact to himself as possible to carry on his legacy, ie. a clone.

We probably will never know the true reason(s) unless we get a look into Jango's head (which has sadly been seperated from the rest of his body). :(

Originally posted by Darth Dex

I don't know about you people, but I played Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, and Roz, who dies, always whatted him to settle down and have a kid.

But Darth Dex that is Roz and this thread is about Jango and his reasons for having Boba made. :confused:

Of course, the legacy stuff is true, but then, maybe he wanted to see himself from a diffrent angle. He may be experimenting "what ifs...", to see how he would have been. If had lived long enough, he may have wanted to see how he and his clone were diffrent, depending on the enviroments and peoples that affected them.

He didn't want to end his days in an old folks home on Tatooine. He wanted his young lad to look after him. If he'd known he wasn't going to make it to his pension he probably wouldn't of bothered (which would have changed everything of course).

• 1 year later...

He created Boba(according to comics and BH) to carry on Jasters(assuming I spelled it right) legacy. Who is Jaster? He was his master. Daxter took the orphan Jango under his wing and made him a fighter. He was the finest of Mandolorian. Boba wasn't just there for Jango nor Jaster even but all of the Mando culture that Jaster gave to Jango.

Good point. Perhaps they figured giving him a kid was cheaper than part of his pay (which was "considerable"). They talked him into it somehow, perhaps. I guess the guy was a big softie after all.

When you're evil, having a kid is a great thing. A small mind to corrupt to your evil will, etc...

You guys mention great points but you leave out one important one. To go along with passing along his legacy and all that wife/kid/danger crap he also did it for the F***ING MONEY! Remember when what's her face mentioned something about a hefty sum?

No, I'm sure that Boba was a stipulation written into the deal by Jango himself on top of the money. It goes a good way to explain why he would still be hanging around Kamino rather than chasing down fugitives.

Another point, Jango must have been told to create the instruction videos for the clone army since they all have his accent. Accent is created my your surroundings, not your genes. The cloners must have seen that creating an unalterted clone for Jango was a good way to keep him tied to Kamino (to instruct the clones, give them training, etc), so it wasn't that big a deal for them.

Boba is Jango's son, basically. Untainted from even his own genes. How massive of an ego boost is that? To have yourself to mould from birth, surely if Jango wasn't beheaded Boba would have grown to be even more brilliant than he was.

I think that the key to this is in Bounty Hunter. There's one key line in it that can be traced to his decision.

You won't live forever...

Or something like that. I think it's when Jango's just stolen the Slave 1. Based on this, I think that his reason for getting a clone is a tribute of some kind to Roz. If he got a clone, he could technically live forever. I think that this one line sparked his will get create Boba.

...Until his clone dies (or gets eaten by the Sarlacc, of course). :)

[EU Fan]Heathen! He survived the Sarlacc! This was approved by Lucas!!!111[/EU Fan]

Seriously though, why would he "live forever"? It's not like he was somehow able to transfer his soul into young Boba (don't even try it, EU hacks!) and his mind was his own.. no flash brain implant of his memories (EU hacks, I'm warning you..! Don't get any ideas!).

If you mean in the sense "he would live forever in his children" then the same could be said of any person who ever had kids. Carrying on their genes or their legacy or their memory that their children had of them, etc whatever. But you don't need cloning to do that. ;)

Apparently infertility does exist in the Star Wars universe, so that even a wealthy Senator and his family have to adopt a child. So it's not inconceivable (pardon the pun) that Fett was simply unable to have a child on his own...

Anyway, if he "lived on forever" in his progeny, then the Stormtroopers were his real legacy, not Boba Fett, as they continued on, as far as we known, even to the NJO. I mean did they ever stop cloning Stormtroopers? Did the Imperial Remnant, when they joined with the New Republic to form whatever it was they called their new galactic union, exterminate all their remaining clones and destroy all their clone facilities? Granted the Stormtroopers-as-clones is a retcon thanks to Lucas's prequels, but there you go. It has to be explained somehow. As far as I can tell, some of Fett still lives on...

According to Lucas they still use Clones in the OT era and "recruites" and "conscripts" of non-clones are a relatively new phenomena. He specifically cites the Trooper who bumps his head on the door in ANH as a descendant of Jango!

Mmm, of course he could've used the army to continue his legacy, but I think he wanted to make an attachment to the one that would carry it on. I think he was aiming for a bounty hunter clone more than a soldier when it came to his mark upon the galaxy. Sure, the army was bigger and more obvious, but perhaps he didn't want to be super famous.

Archived