Home

Are we being ripped off?

JDKnite188

Are we being ripped off?

Why do I ask? Well, let's make it clear that there are only 15 maps in this game. In comparison to other games such as UT2k4 and even JA, this is horrible for multiplayer. There aren't too many game modes either; I heard of two.

I am not going to spend about $50 for a game of just 15 maps. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was released for free with 6 maps!

OK, first, it has sixteen maps. And secondly, this is just another thread to criticize a game before it even comes out. And we have no idea how much effort was put into these maps. They could be the best looking maps (and biggest) for all time to come. and besides, look at some other games, Splinter Cell: PT, Mechassalt, they dont have alot of maps, but they are both really good games. And the two game modes are supposed to be really good and very deep :p

Please note that this game's maps are sized well. JA's map number isn't really impressive either. You also need to take into account that having such large and detailed maps creates more work when you're dealing with bots. Bots don't just drive themselves, they need preset paths to fallow. If you remeber a little game called Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, you'd know that the game has about 5 multplayer maps that are really small. Back to JA, most levels are small (duels) or feel copy & pasted (CTF). The only impressive levels are the ones that were released later for download, and the siege maps (which there are only 3 and with no bot paths). 16 large levels complete with advanced bot paths, and who knows what other large things details, and you've got more then enough. I play alot of siege on JA and don't complain the least about only getting 3 levels, so to me, Battlefront's numbers are a blessing.

There I feel better now. :)

u know what? I hate these types of threads. before you post anymore, i would like you to check out the planet videos. The graphics are gorgeous, the lighting effects comparible to splinter cell, the terrain beautiful, and over-all shine wonderous. I myself have neverseen a more spectacular mmo game. Iv heard that some maps ar eup to four kilometers (real distance) in space!

I'm hopeful to the point I don't want to jinx the game and set my expectations to a level where no matter what I'll be disappointed.

16 maps is kind of low but BF1942 was released with the same number 2 years (yes, 2) ago!!!. Through updates, expansions and my favorite... user made maps I've got about 30 great maps now even though 7 are ones I made.

Anyway 16 will hold me for about 3 months.

for starters, dont be ungrateful. Asteroids had like, one level and I still play that. (got a wicked high score,too) stop whining. It may have only 16 different levels, but think pf the possiblities. You can play with four different factions, and with 5 differernt classes in each faction, you can play online until you beat it, and constantly be challenged by people online. You can even create new games. I've heard races with speeders, speeder bikes, tauntauns, hailfires, tanks, at ats, atsts. and dogfights with the ships. chicken with atsts. co-op play (on a console) I mean, think of the possibilties before you start whing. are we getting ripped off, NO! Even if they gave us 5 maps, they dont force you to buy the game. You guys can complain about how bd this game is gonna be all you want and you can mod the crap out of it, but for me, I'm gonna appreciate the wicked awesome game and play it for a long time.

EDIT- new game idea! one guy is drvng a speeder bike, and the other guy tries to shoot him off. AND, one guy is in a vehicle, any kind. and the other guy has a rocket launcher, and the rocket man (elton john song woo) has to shoot the guy in the vehicle. while the vehicle guy has to swerve, dive, loop, or whatever to avoid getting hit. I just hope the missiles dont have a tracking system.

I dont want to hear this nonsense, for starters, you dont even know how big the maps are, start whining when you have the game, the less whiners the better :rolleyes:

BTW, the now 16 maps will be increased, patches, expansion packs, etc.. free maps created by map-makers

16 maps is a very fair number. Other people have mentioned games with the same number or less. Also keep in mind that most players just play on the same 2 or three maps over and over again. Imagine how many people will only be playing on Hoth and Endor?

How many people playing Rainbow Six 3 for XBOX played on any maps besides City Street Large and Warehouse? Crimson Skies had something like six maps when it was released (more now available for download), and it's still a great game to play.

Also look at SOCOM I believe it only had 12 maps for the first game and it did just fine. It doesn't matter if there are only a certain number of maps, there are numbers of posibilites, you don't have to follow the same way everytime your shots will be different almost everytime you shoot.

Originally posted by Dragnarr

I hope the tracking system only works vs flying vehicles, It's said that it's all too easy to take down some of the Vehicles in the game with the rocket launcher, could any demo player confirm this?

yeah the rkt launcher can only track vehicles

*sigh* Im not sure if my texts are getting read properly, over 50% of the time people quote me and still don't understand what I mean :) .

So it seems Rocket Launcher targets all vehicles, isn't that a bit too easy then? And as we all seen in the videos it's damn easy to shoot other infantry with that thing aswell, Im just hoping they get to balance everything out when the game is released

I apologize for my n00biness. Understandably, I shouldn't criticize or badmouth a game that hasn't been released. I still believe that I have some valid ideas.

Originally posted by DieStarWarsGeek

I'd like to reinstate the point Tyler makes. You say look at UT2004, do you even play it though?? There's tons and tons of maps now, because people made them. Same thing will happen with SWB.

I have played all the games that I mentioned (RTCW:ET, UT2k4, JA). For your information, let's look at the numbers for the standard UT2k4 game without the Community Bonus Packs and other unique mods:

6 Assault maps

9 Onslaught maps

(Battlefront will be a combination of these two game modes, considering Assault's objective-based gameplay and Onslaught's large maps and numerous vehicles)

20+ CTF (Capture the flag) maps

20+ DM (Deathmatch) maps

I stopped counting; there are more like the game mode "Invasion" and "Last Man Standing" that I didn't bother to list. My point is proven, though. In the list above, there are more than 50 maps. "Quality over quantity" is a true I statement, but UT2k4 combines both.

As for the numerous ideas about SW:BF mods, note that the technology isn't mainstream for modding in comparison to something like the Quake 3 engine. With documentation resources limited for mapping and scripting, it isn't going to be easy to jump into the editor and start mapping. Also, these maps, as noted by several posters, are HUGE; these maps probably won't be done in a few weeks. Next, the larger the game community, the larger the mod community. Without knowledge of the future success of this title, don't expect tons of modders yet. Finally, we have no idea if there will be patches or expansions.

Originally posted by SITH_ShadowCat

Please note that this game's maps are sized well. JA's map number isn't really impressive either. You also need to take into account that having such large and detailed maps creates more work when you're dealing with bots. Bots don't just drive themselves, they need preset paths to fallow. If you remeber a little game called Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, you'd know that the game has about 5 multplayer maps that are really small. Back to JA, most levels are small (duels) or feel copy & pasted (CTF). The only impressive levels are the ones that were released later for download, and the siege maps (which there are only 3 and with no bot paths). 16 large levels complete with advanced bot paths, and who knows what other large things details, and you've got more then enough. I play alot of siege on JA and don't complain the least about only getting 3 levels, so to me, Battlefront's numbers are a blessing.

There I feel better now.

In the days of JK, multiplayer was considerably an evolving concept. There wasn't even an in-game browser in JK! As for JA, I felt that the CTF maps were an improvement on the JO ones (all 4 JO CTF maps were fun, though) with larger environments and improved architecture. The Siege maps seemed

to be a "rush" job; they were ugly. I remember seeing light panels in siege_desert that weren't tiled properly. The objective-based gameplay mode was a great idea, though. Indeed, it is a blessing that the siege mode is heavily expanded with BF.

btw Hex_is_me I viewed most of the planet videos in the past few weeks. No doubt, they are beautiful.

I originally brought this topic up because I see the latest Star Wars games only aiming to hold the fanboy base; LEC hasn't provided innovation for its games in the past few years to expand the community to other players. When JK came out, there was a storyline, setting, and character base that was never seen in the movies. Now it seems that every Star Wars game has a Hoth level.

BF:v only came with I believe 12 maps, 4-6 of which are actually repeats and it sold quite well.

As for the "the maps are huge they won't be done in a couple of weeks". Wrong.... BF:V has been out since what.... February I believe? And the EoD total conversion to it is almost completed with 13 new maps, and the kits and code completely changed for realism, and pretty much every model replaced.... In 6 months 7 guys have completely changed BF:V (and anyone who played the EoD Mod for '42 knows it is quality along the lines of DC). If one guy can't do a good map in a couple of weeks for SW:Battlefront then perhaps they shouldn't be modding.....

As for UT2k4 yeah it has ALOT more maps... Kinda different though, you don't have to worry about balance in UT2K4, all you have to worry about is fast gameplay with asthetically(sp?) pleasing surroundings. When you are making huge maps in a game where not everyone is using the exact same arsenal and vehicles you have to offset and weaponary balance issues with tactical balance so that if the Rebels have no access to vehicles and the Imps have AT-STs and the like (i.e. Endor) the Rebels can still win by using their surroundings. Thus maps take much longer to make and it is far more important to work out every little detail prior to release than delaying release (or setting it WAY in the future), losing money (due to spending more time developing), and giving maybe 10 more maps.

This is NOT some run and gun FPS, it is first and foremost a strategical FPS game, and they have grossly different requirements than the avg. FPS. Get used to it because I don't know of one Strategical FPS with large number of combatants at once that EVER released with more than around 15-20 maps (i.e. DC, EoD, BF'42, BF:V, Tribes, Tribes II, etc.), and it appears for the most part that Strategical War FPS's are the next big thing.

quit bein a bitch and understand that number of maps doesn't make the gameplay or the game itself suck. Not to mention it appears these maps are rather large, take that into the comparison before you go off complaining about it. If you don't like it, fine. Don't come into our forum and start some anti-battlefront whatever revolt. Noone cares that you aren't going to buy the game. kthxbai.

Archived