Home

The un-accessible dock (EMI)

Udvarnoky

I'm bored, so I just thought I'd post about this.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but have we ever discovered the real reason why the dock area in EMI was blocked off in the final game? It is only shown right after Guybrush and Elaine get off their honeymoon boat (which means you don't get to hear the great music from that area unless you have a ridiculously slow computer or you download it off The SCUMM Bar :-* ). The location can be entered in the demo, but the demo only featured some CMI tracks for music as placeholders, and the area just doesn't seem as interactive as pictures like this would suggest.

I dunno. I just always though it was interesting. The area was apparently useless puzzle-wise, but was it really that much of an intrusion? Did it somehow take up too much space? Your thoughts?

EDIT: Edited two years later to fix the broken links. ¬¬

Didn't know that. What track is it that was its background music, specifically?

This is an interesting subject actually. Grim Fandango had plenty of hidden backgrounds and dialogues which couldn't be accessed in the final game.

Since the engine is pretty much one in the same, I assume somebody's gone through and done similar checks of the EMI resource files?

If you bend your imagination enough, you can just imagine such music being in MI2, this showing this as an almost, nearly tru MI game.

That and the fact that it has MI in the title, is made by the same company, uses a lot of the same characters and harks back to past plots.

But apart from all that, it's in no way an MI game.

Archived