Home

Lame, Complaining Newbs on the Board

DieStarWarsGeek

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DieStarWarsGeek

Seems to me all of a sudden there are a lot of new people on the board (<25 posts) that have shown up simply to badmouth the game. This, frankly, is lame.

"BFVietnam is better" "there's so much lag" "The graphics suck"

I think that if the game has as serious issues as this one has (MULTIPLAYER FPS CAP!) I have the right to complain about it. No game in the year 2004 should have that. Battlefield games don't have that and neither do any other online game that I can remember from the past 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that they're complaining after the first day. I mean, god forbid you wait for some patches to come out or the servers to get worked out.

So you're saying it's okay for the companies to rush out products that aren't finished and then we, the customers, are supposed to pay 50$ for it and just quietly wait for a patch when the developers are kind enough to make it? No way. A 50 dollar game should NOT be released if it is not finished. If I wanted to beta test a game, I'd sign up for a beta test.

The big deal is that it IS Star Wars. It's made for Star Wars fans. If that's not enough to keep you entertained, quietly return your copy and leave the rest of us to our enjoyment. Peace.

I love Star Wars. I think that when an exceptional game for Star Wars fans like this one comes out, it needs to be done right. This game really has the potential to be everything I've wanted out of a Star Wars game since I was a kid but don't you tell me I can't critisize it when I clearly have a good reason to do so. If the name Star Wars on the box cover is enough to keep you entertained, quietly return to your copy and let me point out the flaws because I certainly have the right to do so!

I'm not a newb, and I am a die hard SW fan; however, I'll bad mouth the game plenty and with good reason if I want. The ONLY way you get change is by critiquing the game.

Now admittedly the game play, balance and maps are phenomenal. HOWEVER the network support is abbysmal. I realise most of the so called fanbois here are players, not server admins so I can understand their point of view. However, when you are shelling out $100/mth for server rental and bandwidth, would LIKE to host the game but can't because of tha lack of Linux binaries, and refuse to (even though you would really like to) because of the total absence of ANY control over the server and who plays there then maybe you'll understand why so many of us are disappointed. EA may make crappy games; however, they realise that the key to building a community, and keeping a game popular (making for multiple expansions and sequels) is giving them solid server code with control and options on how to run it, combined with providing the community with the tools to improve upon the game themselves. Pandemic and LEC missed this fact, and unless it is rectified soon you can be assured this game WILL die.

I mean which would you rather have, 500 servers without any form of administration on them and with limited player populations where smaktards can run rampant, or 10-15,000 servers, some of which are well administered and where the admins can kick and ban problem causers? And if you think the SP will hold you over I have to laugh. I went through all the SP games the first and second days I had the game. It only takes a couple of hours to go through one of them if that (each is about 6-7 maps and each map only takes about 5-10 minutes to play), and I'm most of the way through all the Galactic Conquest mode. This is an MP game plain and simple, and needs to be treated as such. And until they provide proper server support I know myself and others will keep hitting them on it until we get a solid answer on what we can expect, and when we can expect it. Or we will all, in our own time, throw the game out and not pick it up again as it is a waste of our time, money and resources.

But that's just my view as a server admin.

What, You Don't even own the game and you're bashing someone who already does for their opinion, WHAT A MORON... See it's cheap shot artist like "DieStarwarsGeek" That will be the first one to cry when he has a problem with the game.. Most of these Bashers like this idiot are hypocrates, I see it day in and Day Out, And with no remorse cause on these boards you do not have a face, and so these pimply faced geeks exert the only power they have in the world by bashing others online here.... I hope that Guy Gets The "KeyEntry.exe" Error, I wanna see him come here and whine about it..

Everyone has their own expectations. It's StarWars and BF, people expect gravy. I bought the game somewhat on a whim and knowing it was supposed to be pretty good and haven't ever really played BF before. No expectations, I take it for what it is and it's DAMN ****ing fun. I love playing it.

Someone else expected it to be great, they notice a few bad parts (there are enough to choose from) and decided it wasn't as good.

I agree with both sides here. The game is fun and there's lots of potential to build on. But without improvements this game could die fast and hard. These games are only fun with lots of people, in the long run. It's tough to find good servers right now, which is to be expected but there's NO reason why a community is going to support large servers with the current state of controls, network coding, etc. It's just horrible and one of the major lackings of the game. No way to search for your buddies because Gamespy is gimp! I love the game but it needs improvement if we're all going to be playing it a year from now.

:tied:

Originally posted by Steelhed

What, You Don't even own the game and you're bashing someone who already does for their opinion, WHAT A MORON... See it's cheap shot artist like "DieStarwarsGeek" That will be the first one to cry when he has a problem with the game.. Most of these Bashers like this idiot are hypocrates, I see it day in and Day Out, And with no remorse cause on these boards you do not have a face, and so these pimply faced geeks exert the only power they have in the world by bashing others online here.... I hope that Guy Gets The "KeyEntry.exe" Error, I wanna see him come here and whine about it..

Even if someone disagrees with your opinion you keep the talk clean. Refrain yourself from flaming or suffer the consequences.

First warning Steelhed :)

Pad

Understood Pad... I personally, Once I got Around the install problem, Am Impressed by this game, One oF the best "Right outta the box" gaming experiences I've had.. Single-player is awsome, Multiplayer is just a little bit laggy, But again one of the best I've seen for launch day, Granted the technology is moving along, the genre is no longer breakthrough so I would expect cleaner releases as time goes on.. A patch or two for MP and this game is a gem... Whats funny is, It seems most Starwars freaks play the RPG type games that Lucas has been producing for quite a while, They don't usually play BF1942, or Tribes etc, But now they get to see their favorite thing, Starwars on a real battlefield... Very Impressive... As well as Very Immersive... You get a real Starwars Feeling when playing this.. One Of the First Games That I left the Music on even on Multiplayer...

What I find amusing is that many of these complainers are prominent members of the Galatic conquest BF1942 community. Don't get me wrong, I love GC and I haven't played BF yet but I will VERY soon.

So I'm taking all the complaining with a pinch of salt, most of the folks eg. The preacher have their heads stuck up their arses with Galactic conqust.

;)

was already mentioned in this thread, but no one seemed to notice it.

in multiplayer on PC you are *LOCKED* at MAX 20 frames per second. there is no way to change it. altering your TPS will not increase this number, tps is directly related to the server/client talking to each other. why is it locked at 20 fps? no word yet.

this has nothing to do with your rig, either. rigs getting 80+ fps in single are still locked at 20 fps in multi.

this alone is reason enough for many to "badmouth" the game.

Excuse me but i think that was a VERY unneccesary (SP) comment and i did NOT deserve that at all.

infact i would like you to point out one of my posts that i have made regarding the Game, where i for no reason flamed the game, or did not have any evidence or thought to back it up.

i believe i have always stated my points objectivly clearly and conscicley, and likeing Galactic Conquest has nothing to do with it. we all paid money for the game at the end of the day you know.

i believe you owe me an apology for that because i have done nothing but offer a fair and objective review of the game as it came out.

im sure alot of other people who have read what i have written will agree with me, that all i did was offer fact, and my opinion in a nice and formative way.

Originally posted by elorei

was already mentioned in this thread, but no one seemed to notice it.

in multiplayer on PC you are *LOCKED* at MAX 20 frames per second. there is no way to change it. altering your TPS will not increase this number, tps is directly related to the server/client talking to each other. why is it locked at 20 fps? no word yet.

this has nothing to do with your rig, either. rigs getting 80+ fps in single are still locked at 20 fps in multi.

this alone is reason enough for many to "badmouth" the game.

Mine doesn't lock at 20 FPS, I have no idea what everyone is talking about. That reason alone I should ignore that reason (heh). Try setting the tinker before being mr brainic.

I will seriously have to leave this board becuase of all the bashing. This is one of the greatest games I have played (and I've played many). It goes beyond what I imagined it to be. I seriously have no idea where these bad thoughts are coming from. I don't see why no one can find a good server? It takes me 10 seconds to find one then 10 seconds to join the game. Then I have a great gaming expirince. The interface is fine, everything works. The only issue I have is some times people warp like crazy but generally its smooth.The real grip I have is that there is no sound when someone chats, and you sometimes miss the messages. I should probably come back when people who are done bashing it get tired and go back to playing BF if they want, I won't miss you, there are plety of servers around to join and people to play with out you.

Mine doesn't lock at 20 FPS, I have no idea what everyone is talking about. That reason alone I should ignore that reason (heh). Try setting the tinker before being mr brainic.

Can you verify this? How are you verifying it? My framerate seems low. Not smooth. It's not juttery (because it maintains the same frame rate) but the overall framerate definitely seems lower than 30. Someone has shown this with Fraps. (FPS counter/demo recorder for games)

I agree the game is good but there are some necessary changes that need to be made and the more we gripe the more they realize that things need to be changed.

Originally posted by Iceman_IX

Can you verify this? How are you verifying it? My framerate seems low. Not smooth. It's not juttery (because it maintains the same frame rate) but the overall framerate definitely seems lower than 30. Someone has shown this with Fraps. (FPS counter/demo recorder for games)

I agree the game is good but there are some necessary changes that need to be made and the more we gripe the more they realize that things need to be changed.

My FPS seems smooth, 30 and above. If I knew how to check FPS I'd know for sure. I haven't run into a problem on the net where I sayed the framerate was weak.

It's not necessarily weak (I wouldn't have thought anything of it if someone hadn't shown me) but there are times when I think "this can't be taking advantage of my hardware". There are no bottlenecks in my system and I notice SOME framerate loss where I can distinguish what I should see and what I am seeing. Particularly with quick movement viewed from a distance. It's basically unnecessarily locked at something below determinable level and thus kind of silly (everyone knows 30 FPS is what we naturally detect). User should have teh option to change this.

Not horrible but something that just isn't wise. The game is not demanding, let us run our FPS at something atleast on par with 30.

First of all If I see one more BS "I can understand you say it sucks on PC" immuh flip out.

IT DOSN'T SUCK ON PC.

The game is better on PC than both consoles, this coming from somebody who OWNS it for PS2 and PC and has played X-Box live's version for a good 3 hours.

I won't go into the reasons again, i've already beaten it to death in other threads. Just remember....

FPS=PC>CONSOLE

to quote somebody's sig "those blasts are to accurate for a controller, only a mouse and keyboard are so precise".

-----------

Also, I've played online with the PC version +5 hours now and havn't noticed a hint of slowdown or poor framerate. Not sure how to bring up an frames per second display, but I assure you its not less than 30 fps. I'd say I was getting at least 60 with a full server half people half bots.

Originally posted by DieStarWarsGeek

Seems to me all of a sudden there are a lot of new people on the board (<25 posts) that have shown up simply to badmouth the game. This, frankly, is lame.

"BFVietnam is better" "there's so much lag" "The graphics suck"

I don't know what game they're playing, because I think the game kicks ass. I don't know why they suddenly decide to log on here and knit-pick all the details about the game that really aren't that bad. It seems to me they wanted something new, and when they got their game it was just like all the other games they play and now they're mad about it. Of course it's like the BF games. Of course it doesn't have doom3 graphics. What were these people expecting?

Not to mention the fact that they're complaining after the first day. I mean, god forbid you wait for some patches to come out or the servers to get worked out.

The big deal is that it IS Star Wars. It's made for Star Wars fans. If that's not enough to keep you entertained, quietly return your copy and leave the rest of us to our enjoyment. Peace.

SWB: 9/10

Well, I guess I am one of those people. I payed $50 bucks for this game and, IMHO as a long time gamer, all I got was Quake 2 with SW skins and some vehicles. This game is nowhere near in the league of BF '42 or any game I have seen released in the last 2 to 3 years.

Sure, it is Star Wars FPS but as a PC game it is TERRIBLY outdated and poor performing. Firstly, who in thier right mind creates a PC FPS shooter that will not run at better than 30 FPS??? My God I would give up gaming if I had to run games at 30 FPS. Aside from just lookin bad it is so choppy you cannot hit things accurately and it is just irratating. I can run Doom 3 or FarCry on the highest of settings and average over 60 FPS but with this dog I get locked at 30 FPS. What a TOTAL joke.

The GUI is terrible, looks like something from an X Boz and the control binding is flakey and a total pain in the but to operate. The server list stinks and is unreliable and then we get to the game graphics. This game looks TERRIBLE. I mean this is 2004, nearly 2005 with game engines like CryEngine (FarCry), Source (HL2), Doom3, Refractor (BF series), and they offer things this game cannot ever touch.

I realize you all may love Star Wars but love Star Wars or not you hav eto admit, objectively, that this game is outdated and for $50 is a total ripoff.

Originally posted by SITH_ShadowCat

Mine doesn't lock at 20 FPS, I have no idea what everyone is talking about.

Uh, Einstein - on the main site board the developers acknowledge that by default the game is locked to 20 FPS but that can be cahnged to 30 FPS, no more.

That is simply unheard of in PC gaming and TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Star Wars or not, good gameplay idea or not - as a PC title this game is a joke.

- PC Multiplayer Frame rate lock – The framerate lock is set to 20 by default. You can set the values to 15, 20 or 30. To change the settings, go to the main menu and select Options/Online Options and then change the “Ticks per second” setting. - lec_webjedi

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5196&tstart=0

im taking back my copy if a patch isnt out in a week and im buying warhammer dawn of war. in the mean time i will be downloading the starwars mod galactic conquest for bf1942, which is pretty much the same thing swb tried to pull off except gc is ten times better with 50 vehicles and space maps(deathstar!!!) and the advantage of being on the battlefield1942 engine. oh did i mention it was free too?

ps....the name galactic conquest was unoriginally borrowed from the starwars mod created by prolific games and put into swb.

is this an honourable mention to the mod or just a big kick in the nuts for the modteam at prolific games?

You decide!!!

and yes i may be a complaining newb but i am in no means lame, unlike this game.

Archived