• TIE Interceptor
    • TIE Bomber
    • TIE Advanced
    • TIE Defender

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Vagabond

Just a brief off-topic comment: I have to defend Shok_Tinoktin on his usage of the word "ugly". In the expanded universe, the term "ugly" does refer to a spacecraft pieced together from the various parts of other spacecraft. So, while his usage of "ugly" was correct and not intentionally offensive in describing primalunderdog's favorite snub fighter, it is easily understandable how his comment could be misinterpreted as an insult.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :cool:

Yeah, maybe I was a little fast on the trigger there as I'm not a EU fan and never heared the expression. I guess you do lean something new everyday afterall. ;)

Sorry for that Shok.

Originally posted by rcsquirrel900

in an unshielded TIE, but the frontal cross-section is usually equal to the rear cross section, and i know many people who like to pound away at the back of a ship*cough cough*

thats why the more maneuverable Defender has the advantage, you can shake them off your back.

btw, .:CoupeS:. thanks for pointing it out, I never would have realized that it could be misinterpreted.

In response to those who said that i only play that oneSW game, or that i don't study fighter tactics, are very ver wrong, that is all i do with my time, ii am either playingsome SW flight sim or reading about strategies. When alliance came out, it was an overall improvement on the other XW and TF games. Thus, it is valid to say that the most effective CURRENT strategy is to link lasers and ions, which is what was implied.

However, i know from looking at many posts from this thread alone that assumptions get you into trouble on forums.

When flying as an Interceptor(and i've flown every ship in all the games), the most effective strategy IMO is a combinatioin Hit and Run and a little nibble on the tail. What you do is weave your way in from a front/side angle, taking potshots as you approach. When you get next to them, you turn sharply into the rear of their craft, you likely get a linked shot to hit if you time it right. Then you weave your way out and repeat.

IMO, whenever i attempt this with a defender, i get hit because of its NEARLY equal size from all angles, so weaving doesn't do much but make it harder for them to aim(whereas in an interceptor, all sides are different(except for oposing sides--front/back, left/right, top/bottom) so weaving in gives them a constantly changing moving target.

Furthermore, the defender seems to have a distinct lack of handling at its higher speeds, so you have to slow down anyway to hit them that one time from the rear. Thus, it loses its massive speed advantage, which then brings the two on nearly equal footing(at equal speeds, they seem pretty evenly matched)

All in all, in speaking about the strategies that seem to work best IMO, the interceptor has a distinct advantage over the Defender.

rcsquirrel900, are you actually flying against people, or just the computer? I can see how your tactic might work against a human once, but a good pilot would adapt quickly. Also, "nibbling" at a competent human pilot flying a fighter with shields, would simply manage the energy such that their shields were equalized to minimize your strategy.

Also, consider that, while you appear to have developed a technique that you have found some measure of success with in the TIE Interceptor, perhaps you simply haven't found that winning combination with the TIE Defender yet.

Like I said, I don't really like the TIE Defender as it's not very challenging and boring for me to fly. But it's got great weaponry, and is lightning fast. With that kind of speed, a pilot can easily get behind a target and unload with several full-linked blasts, or outrun any pursuer.

The only rebel ship that can keep up speed-wise, with creative energy management, is the A-wing. Unfortunately, it takes an A-wing a bit of time to chew through the shields of a TIE Defender due to its less-endowed armament, and with an adept TIE Defender pilot, the A-wing may soon be outdistanced by the TIE Defender's superior speed.

However, on those occasions when you score a kill against a TIE Defender, the taste of victory is very sweet indeed :cool:

I try to fly against humans as much as possible, but there in no good counter to my strategy, as i am very difficult to hit and the weaving is very adaptive. If you know a good way to counter this, please let me know. I did run into some people who did what you said about the shields, except it would either make them slower or weaker. If they are slower, you can can get more hits in while weaving and on the turn in. If they are weaker, you can weave less, because they dont have as much firepower, and you will get n more hits that way.

True, i haven't found such a winning strategy with the defender, i was just comparing the two by how i do against them using my strategy or using them with my strategy. I presume that i would appreciate the defender more if i found a strategy with the same effeccts as my interceptor strategy, i was being a little closed minded, thanks for the jolt:D

Favorite: B-wing

Best: Tie-Defender.

I always liked to put all my tractor beam and engine power into my shields, and then wait till an approaching/leaving fighter was in range for a lock-on with my concussion missiles. most fighters will swerve away either left or right once they hear they're getting locked on, but I guess which way they'll go and I fire lasers in that direction :) Then if I miss I pump power back into my engines and we battle the rest of it out.

It worked about 10% of the time (I know, that's not very good, but it's fun :D)

Just a quick aside to see how everyone else feels: when I host a game of X-Wing alliance, I turn off all missiles, and only leave on standard proton torpedoes and space bombs, to try to stay truer to the space battles seen in the movies. One thing I can't stand about X-Wing Alliance is how dogfights often become a "game" of dodge the missle, which is very tedious, in my opinion, which equals = not fun.

I don't find it that fun to spend all my time trying to dodge missiles either, but I take a different strategy. I get rid of warheads all together (in the case of a strict dogfight, which is what I enjoy the most), that way all the fighting is in laser range, and you have to line up a shot, not get a target lock. I am uncertain if this is the case in XvT or XWA, but in TF, the missile boat had a powerful enough tractor beam, that it could anchor another starfighter in place. For example, you could lock onto a Defender, and take away its every advantage, then obliterate it with the huge stock of warheads that it carries. Wasn't the Missile Boat designed to take down the Defender? I know its not in the poll, but I was just thinking about it.

I doubt the Missle Boat was designed to take down the TIE Defender since both are Imperial ships :cool: The only reason I like to leave on the heavy warheads is because they're not very useful in dogfighting - a granny could dodge one - but they are useful in strike missions against capital ships, which I think are fun. I love setting up several Rebel and Imperial capital ships in a missions so I can watch them broadside each other...it's sweet :cool:

if you open up the ship list document in XWA, you can unlock everything, and everyone knows there is nothing cooler than to se up 15 SSD next to eachother, and be in a TF, all you have to do is hit each one once, then when they broadside eachother, you get credit!!!! or you can try flying an interceptor between them and hope you don't get squished.

If anyone gets bored of the same old same old of dogfighting, have everyone in some versionn of a shieldless tie, have everyone fly into the hangar of a base, then you blow it up and race out:Dlast one alive wins

its great B/C you can either shoot at everyone, or just gun it

I doubt that has anything to do with it, otherwise the Gun Boat would be qualified as a starfighter. :)

But it's a Gun Boat which is why it's called that. ;)

EDIT: By the way, I've always favored the X-Wing myself, just because I consider it a good all around fighter.

I do think the TIE Defender is a killer though. :D

The gunboat and missile boat are both starfighters, but I dont expect all of them to make the list. The reason I brought up the missile boat, is because there was so much talk about the defender, and in TIE-Fighter, the missile boat is designed to take it out. Not that I want it on the list, I just wanted to discuss it.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

The gunboat and missile boat are both starfighters, but I dont expect all of them to make the list. The reason I brought up the missile boat, is because there was so much talk about the defender, and in TIE-Fighter, the missile boat is designed to take it out. Not that I want it on the list, I just wanted to discuss it.

umm, aren't they both imperial...

Archived