• TIE Fighter
    • TIE Interceptor
    • TIE Bomber
    • TIE Advanced
    • TIE Defender

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name of the topic is best snubfighter, while your question asks about the favorite - there is a distinct difference.

My favorite is the Y-wing, but the best is without a doubt the TIE Defender - if you pump all the shields and tractor beam power into the engines, you end up with something that goes insanely fast, with decent armor, and killer weapons. There's nothing else that can stand up to that in terms of best.

the poll is for favorite, but i wanted the thread to allow room for a discussion on best

The biggest problem with the Defender is it's large cross-section, which makes it a very very big target. In addition, all the Beam and Shield equipment create excess weight that allows for a disadvantage in atmospheric situations in cooperation with its large size. Also, it has a very poor laser alignment, two on top, two on bottom does not allow for a very merciful field of fire in reference to the ships controls. Whereas the Interceptor was two left two right. It is also smaller and more lightweight.

All in all, shields are for losers

Originally posted by rcsquirrel900

The biggest problem with the Defender is it's large cross-section, which makes it a very very big target.

Incorrect, at the high speeds that combat ensues with the Defender, cross section is irrelevant, any of the TIE Fighters are guilty of the large cross section on a side shot, so is the X-wing Y-Wing, and B-Wing, head on is how you fight with a TIE.

With the Defenders raw speed if a dogfight ensues you can just leave the fray, and then come back for head on attacks.

In addition, all the Beam and Shield equipment create excess weight that allows for a disadvantage in atmospheric situations in cooperation with its large size.

It has no more of an atmospheric disadvantage than any other Fighter in Star Wars, ever hear of Repulsorlift technology (Anti-Gravity), weight becomes completely irrelevant with AG systems, Repulsorlift systems are in all Star Wars Fighters.

Also, it has a very poor laser alignment, two on top, two on bottom does not allow for a very merciful field of fire in reference to the ships controls. Whereas the Interceptor was two left two right. It is also smaller and more lightweight.

:eyeraise: The top wing houses 2 Ion Cannons, the 2 lower wings house the 4 laser cannons, and 2 Warhead launchers that fire from the bottom of the cockpit orb, just to round out the aresenal.

The Defenders laser cannons have a similar firing profile to an X-Wing. They just fire from a lower firing angle.

And lastly, the only other comprable fighter with that much raw firepower would be the B-Wing. And the only one to match its speed would be the A-Wing, or Tie Advanced.

All in all, shields are for losers

We'll be sure to put that as your epitath on your headstone in the New Republic or Imperial Cemetary on Coruscant.

:D

.... where is the option none of the above :p or the option: OTHER!

my all time favorite is the N-1 Nubian Starfighter. the beauty... the style... it just glides..

N1.jpg

and my present date fighter:

The Dune Lizard Medium Hutt fighter :p

(for JTL only :p)

hutt_fighter_medium_s01.jpg

Wraith 8

In my experience in a defender, the best offensive weapon combination is two ions linked with two lasers, with does not provide a good firing line.

and yes, someone please put that on my epitath

Originally posted by RedHawke

Incorrect, at the high speeds that combat ensues with the Defender, cross section is irrelevant, any of the TIE Fighters are guilty of the large cross section on a side shot, so is the X-wing Y-Wing, and B-Wing, head on is how you fight with a TIE.

With the Defenders raw speed if a dogfight ensues you can just leave the fray, and then come back for head on attacks.

It has no more of an atmospheric disadvantage than any other Fighter in Star Wars, ever hear of Repulsorlift technology (Anti-Gravity), weight becomes completely irrelevant with AG systems, Repulsorlift systems are in all Star Wars Fighters.

And lastly, the only other comprable fighter with that much raw firepower would be the B-Wing. And the only one to match its speed would be the A-Wing, or Tie Advanced.

We'll be sure to put that as your epitath on your headstone in the New Republic or Imperial Cemetary on Coruscant.

:D

i was not referring the weight as a gravitational disadvantage, i was speaking of the additional force a heavier object has at an equal speed, which would cause a loss of maneuverability

and i was speaking of the frontal cross-section, where the advanced has the advantage, and you don't fight head on with a TIE, you weedle away with our better vacuum maneuverability until you can take them out, or slash and run

Pleas avoid double posting, use the edit button instead. ;) - coupes

and i was speaking of the frontal cross-section, where the advanced has the advantage, and you don't fight head on with a TIE, you weedle away with our better vacuum maneuverability until you can take them out, or slash and run

If you dont fight head-to-head, than how is the frontal cross-section a disadvantage?

Originally posted by primalunderdog

I was reading a book and a pirate gang made ships from TIE and the republic wing design.My favorite was the TIE Y-wing.A TIE cockpit,mounted between 2 Y-wing engines.Other than that mine is the defender.

Your favorite is an ugly! And of all the uglies, the TIE/Y-Wing hybrid. lol. That cracks me up.

The ultimate weapon. It combines the speed and agility of a Y-Wing, with the weapons and shields of a TIE.

btw, TIE-Defenders are awesome (best Imperial starfighter). I also like the Missile Boat when it comes to Imperial fighters.

Shok_Tinoktin, tastes are hardly a debatable matter so don't mock other's choices. Saying it's ugly is only your opinion, what's ugly to you might look nice for someone else and vice versa. ;)

I personally like the A-wing also, I like the hull shape and the speed and manuverability.

Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.

Shok_Tinoktin, tastes are hardly a debatable matter so don't mock other's choices. Saying it's ugly is only your opinion, what's ugly to you might look nice for someone else and vice versa. ;)

I personally like the A-wing also, I like the hull shape and the speed and manuverability.

I'm sorry, it sounded worse than I intended it to. An ugly is a combination of pieces of various ships that are patched together. I was not saying that it was ugly, I was saying it was an ugly. I should not have assumed that everyone knew that. I was not attempting to insult his opinion, I was just saying that I found it funny.

btw, good pick with the A-wing.

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin

If you dont fight head-to-head, than how is the frontal cross-section a disadvantage?

Exactly! :)

I don't think rcsquirrel900 has done much fighter combat, outside of the one Star Wars game he seems to be referring to, you couldn't link lasers and ions in the LA X-wing and the TIE Fighter series of simulators, or has he studied any actual fighter tactics, if he had of, he would realise in a second that his arguments about the subject aren't very valid... oh well... :D

Back on topic:

Flying for the Empire: TIE Defender

Flying for the Rebellion: A-Wing

Just a brief off-topic comment: I have to defend Shok_Tinoktin on his usage of the word "ugly". In the expanded universe, the term "ugly" does refer to a spacecraft pieced together from the various parts of other spacecraft. So, while his usage of "ugly" was correct and not intentionally offensive in describing primalunderdog's favorite snub fighter, it is easily understandable how his comment could be misinterpreted as an insult.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... :cool:

Archived