Home

Bloodmine Shaft - CTF, huge and vertical

wedge2211

Here's a look at a map I've been working on now and then for upwards of a year. A showcase thread has been active for a while on Map Review, you may have seen shots there. In any case, the Bloodmine is a large capture-the-flag map designed around a vertical mine shaft, with the red flag base on the lowest level and the blue flag base on the top.

First, some older shots to tantalize you and establish things, before I showcase the most recent (ie, done today) work:

shot0138_small.jpg shot0134_small.jpg shot0143_small.jpg shot0145_small.jpg shot0151_small.jpg shot0157_small.jpg shot0193_small.jpg

Now on to the new stuff:

___

shot0208_small.jpg

The latest shot from the bottom of the main shaft. I've added distance fog for a dirtier, hazier look.

shot0209_small.jpg

Latest shot from the top of the main shaft. You can see some added machinery, which moves around and can alter the playing field to a limited extent.

shot0210_small.jpg

A piece of the aforementioned machinery, which tracks back and forth across the shaft.

shot0211_small.jpg

Moving upwards from the bare-rock areas, we have a control room with an experiment in fan-shadow-faking.

shot0213_small.jpg

A better look at Lasse's favorite passageway.

shot0214_small.jpg

A secondary control room on the topmost level of the mine complex. The glass panel in the foreground is an accurate map of the whole mine, collected from Radiant screenshots. I've yet to decide if the map will convey any useful CTF information...

shot0215_small.jpg

The control center/blue flag base. The flag will stand on the podium to the left, under which runs a passage connecting the cargo holding bay and the docking bay. More control panels and displays still to be added, along with cieling lights.

shot0216_small.jpg

The (rudimentary so far) docking bay, with cargo transport at the ready. I'm gonna add clutter to the floor.

___

Okay...that's about all for now. Enjoy the shots, my friends, please comment on them, and await the release of the map! I am hoping beyond hope to get it finished by the end of January. This map has been slowly eating at me for so long...and I expect it will be my Jedi Academy finale--but who knows, with this gone, I might be able to recover my mapping mood long enough to produce some small duels or something. (Probably not, but you never know.)

Anyways...comments on the shots would be appreciated!

Jolly good work. The corridor shows real architectural genius :p

Maybe you could allow some scripted (or just entity based) control of some of the machinery. Thus, a cunning player could wait near the controls and when a gullible player walks down the path, the wily player could doom him to a deus ex machina death.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you know, Mongo, mine shafts do tend to be rather circular. It's not a natural cave, it's been drilled. Note the boring marks on the rock texture... The lights in the central shaft are also regularly spaced on beams and struts, how much less random could I get?

More shots:

shot0221_small.jpg Some holding tanks

shot0223_small.jpg Ore processing and packaging

shot0225_small.jpg Air circulation and ventilation

shot0226_small.jpg A small control room

shot0227_small.jpg The cargo bay, now complete with cargo!

shot0230_small.jpg The hangar bay, now more developed

• 2 weeks later...

Before you release I strongly suggest that you start map construction threads on these two boards:

http://www.firetrill.com/forums

http://www.chopshopservers.com/forums

>95% of the knowledgeable, experienced JA CTF players go to one or both of those boards. Mappers from within the CTF community have greatly benefited from the suggestions, criticisms, and testing that their maps have received. If you want input from players who play hard-core CTF and really understand issues like speed routes, bottlenecks, weapon spawn points, amount of health\shields\ammo on the map, etc. those are the places to go.

Just be forewarned that they are a somewhat opinionated and rude bunch. You will have to have a thick skin. Be prepared for some "your map looks nice, but gameplay sucks" to just plain "this map sucks" comments. But then they will tell you how to make it better, and the feedback is invaluable.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, wedge released a map--!

http://www.pcgamemods.com/10328/

Go download and enjoy!

Amidala, I appreciate the sentiment, but at this point I'm more interested in just getting the thing outta my hair - it's been sitting on my HD for over a year now and it's WAY beyond the point where new WIP threads could possibly be helpful to me. Unfortunately, you posted jsut after I started my closed beta. Hopefully, the map's good enough for many CTFers.

Archived