Home

Global.jrl tool request

ChAiNz.2da

tk102: Split from Original thread

Thanks for the heads up Darkkender, that's one less step getting these to work out :thumbsup:

semi-somewhat related.. (don't worry, I've already finished it), but just a note to anyone else attempting this... and especially to you Fred Tetra, I appreciate your KotOR Tool so much more now :D

What am I talking about you wonder? A little thing called merging the global.jrl. I think this should be an official "curse word". What a pain in the arse...arrgggh! And you're forced to use a GFF editor to do it...ick...

How in the world you modders kept your sanity before KotOR Tool is beyond me, my hat's off to those that endured the modding "Good Ole' Days" ;)

Now, since I cursed so much last night merging that thing, I feel obligated to go wash my own mouth out with soap... hehe

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

What am I talking about you wonder? A little thing called merging the global.jrl. I think this should be an official "curse word". What a pain in the arse...arrgggh! And you're forced to use a GFF editor to do it...ick...

Haha this is the best way to learn :D I did all my mods with a GFF editor, even the dialogues (and I am not the only one) :whacked: ... this is how started bothering tk102 for a dialogue editor :D

How in the world you modders kept your sanity before KotOR Tool...

What? :nutz3::nut:

Actually ChAiNz, the global.jrl isn't that hard an edit, as the node numbers aren't refrenced so that shouldn't matter, so merging them should be a simple copy and paste operation, then just renumber the new nodes in the combined global.jrl correctly.

As far as I can recall, only the nodes quest tag is refrenced by in game dialogues, and then the assigned quest numbers for that quest tag are sub-refrenced, to change the Journal Text, so merging global.jrl files should not be a very difficult proposition... even with a GFF Editor. :p

But, it has been awhile so I could be wrong... I used and still use EwaldTheUnimaginative's GFF/TLK Editor, a Java App. and it works wonders. ;)

Originally posted by Darth333

Haha this is the best way to learn :D I did all my mods with a GFF editor, even the dialogues (and I am not the only one) :whacked: ... this is how started bothering tk102 for a dialogue editor :D

Agreed! :D

This is the ultimate way to learn KOTOR modding. I strictly used a GFF Editor on just about everything until after I made my Recruit mod, that was a sure fire challenge and a great learning expirience. Then of course Fred Tetra made some quantum improvements to KT, and around that time, along with tk102, we got 2 dialog editors to use too! :)

What? :nutz3::nut:

*Nods head in agreement... and a hollow metallic rattling sound is heard!*

:nutz3:

Oh! Please don't get me wrong, it wasn't 'hard' it was just tedious. Though I'm curious on the whole "copy-n-paste" suggestion. When I tried to copy-n-paste between 2 different .jrl files...well.. no can do :confused: (with GFF Editor that is). Please, if there is a way to do this, point me in that direction that would be a godsend! :D

I had to copy-n-paste existing entries/nodes within the same global.jrl and then re-edit the values to match the entries from the 'other' global.jrl (similiar to editing appearance.2da files).

In any case I got it to work, but if there is an easier way it would be most appreciated. If I can merge enough of these .jrl it would be available for anyone once done. Modders could use it as a base to build on, and mod-'ees' could use them as well for compatibility issues ;)

Oh! Please don't get me wrong, it wasn't 'hard' it was just tedious. Though I'm curious on the whole "copy-n-paste" suggestion. When I tried to copy-n-paste between 2 different .jrl files...well.. no can do :confused: (with GFF Editor that is). Please, if there is a way to do this, point me in that direction that would be a godsend! :D

I had to copy-n-paste existing entries/nodes within the same global.jrl and then re-edit the values to match the entries from the 'other' global.jrl (similiar to editing appearance.2da files).

With the program GFF editor I'm not familiar with it's limitations but do you have NWNeditor ChAiNz.2da? If not PM and I'll get a copy to you. I can have multiple sessions open with it in GFF edit mode and copy nodes from one field to the next. However I have noticed the lack of ability to copy and paste between multiple screens in many of the tools we use such as the 2da editor which is frustrating. I suppose you can probably copy nodes in GFF editor much like the copy lines function in kotor tools 2da editor, that is to copy your node for one global.jrl file close that one and open the one you plan to copy it into and add it in that way.

Originally posted by Darkkender

With the program GFF editor I'm not familiar with it's limitations but do you have NWNeditor ChAiNz.2da? If not PM and I'll get a copy to you.

Kewl, thanks Darkkender...that might indeed help being able to have multiple sessions open. GFF Editor is limited in that aspect. I have to open 2 different occurences of the prog (which may explain why the copy/paste feature doesn't want to work).

Is NWNeditor an included tool with the NeverWinter game series or was it a third-party editor that's no longer available? If it's included with NWN, I probably have it, just never looked for it...however if it's a 3rd party thing, I'll PM you my addie. Thanks again! :)

Is NWNeditor an included tool with the NeverWinter game series or was it a third-party editor that's no longer available? If it's included with NWN, I probably have it, just never looked for it...however if it's a 3rd party thing, I'll PM you my addie. Thanks again! :)

It's a GFF/ERF editor but the download link is now dead.

It's a GFF/ERF editor but the download link is now dead.

ahhh...R.I.P. oh "would-be-very-valuable" link ;)

thanks Darth333, I've PMed Darkkender to "beg" for the program .. heh

Kewl avatar BTW. So does this mean you've gone "Jolee" on us?

:: EDIT ::

Hey Darkkender, I tried to PM saying "I've got it now, you can do 'that thing' ", but your PM box is full.

Though I'm curious on the whole "copy-n-paste" suggestion. When I tried to copy-n-paste between 2 different .jrl files...well.. no can do :confused: (with GFF Editor that is). Please, if there is a way to do this, point me in that direction that would be a godsend! :D

Try this one out, it is the GFF Editor I use, get it here.

Darth333 asked me about it then found the above link, it is the one I use and if I recall correctly you can have two (And Many More) files open, they come up in tabs at the top, and copying nodes from one and pasting to the others is quite doable. :D

Originally posted by RedHawke

Try this one out, it is the GFF Editor I use, get it here.

Darth333 asked me about it then found the above link, it is the one I use and if I recall correctly you can have two (And Many More) files open, they come up in tabs at the top, and copying nodes from one and pasting to the others is quite doable. :D

Much thanks to all of you! :D Now I have 2 new toys to play with! (actually 3, I got my copy of your new mod RedHawke....nice!)

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

So...

If you wanted an editor that was specifically designed for Journal files, what would be the essential and nice-to-have lists of features?

I've never made a journal entry before, but I'll take a crack at it. Maybe the more experienced peepz will fill in my blanks :D

Looking at the global.jrl the entries that look important (and this isn't an insult to your intelligence Fred, this is the 'simple' term version for my reference... heheh I'm quite sure you know what you're doing)

String

Comment = ????

Name = Journal Entry List Name

Planet ID = ?????

Plot Index = ????

Priority = ????

Tag = call name used for script/dlg/action etc.

Entry List

End = end of quest / quest completed??

ID = Progression State/Order of Journal entries

Text = Journal Description Field

XP Percentage = is experience awarded and/or if so, the multiplier??

Me personally, I'd like to see as many "toggled" options as can be utilized (or your time/desire allows). ie - is experience awarded yes/no

Also, whenever text is required (entry name, description, etc.) just plain text fields or boxes arranged in a 'logical' order. ie - Journal entry name 1st, Entry Content 2nd, blah blah...much like the layout you used in KT's Item Editor > Description Tab

Having never done a journal entry, I'm sure I left out tons of stuff, and only exploit my ignorance by posting this ;) but maybe it will give the other's a 'headstart' on proper methods or includes.

Thanks for at least thinking about this Fred. I owe you a copy of TSL since you never gave me info on being able to donate to KotOR Tool development. (so now you have to give me an address...hehe) :p

It's true, I knew what the fields were :)

I figured having at least an editor form to make updating/creating entries would be nice.

I wasn't sure what would be the best way to manage a long journal of entries, however.

One way would be a treeview, with the main journal nodes as the top-level nodes on it and the various entries as child nodes.

Another would be a grid view, with the main journal nodes each having a row. Double-clicking the row would open an editor for that entry's children. Click on a row (child) to edit it or pehaps editing it in situ would be OK, though the text part might be hard to do that way.

Of course, if I use the grid, I can support XML import/export easily, which can make merging entries easier, too.

How about some more feature requests/ideas? It is easier to add them during the design phase than later on.

Archived