Home

*Official* PC Demo Thread *demo spoilers/pic heavy*

Kurgan

What did you think of the single player demo?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the single player demo?

• Awesome! Can't wait for the full game!
    • Good, but it could use some improvement.
    • Not what I was expecting....
    • The Xbox demo was better
    • This has convinced me not to get the game after all

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have an idea about how far into the game the demo takes place?

In the briefing in the beginning the clonetrooper says something like "at least this time we'll take em by suprise" or something don't exactly remember, but that indicates that this isnt your first mission in the game, which is pretty obious too.

Club 'em? Silly people! It easier to just sneek up behind them when your squadies are providing a distraction, and use the 'E' key for that knife thingy, Deffinately not clubbing, and much more fun. Don't you love how there is a little laser windshield wiper that clears the guts from your healmet?

After playing the demo, it was a refresher. It reminded me of the beauties and intricacies of the best Star Wars FPS: Jedi Knight. In comparison to any other FPS out there, it didn't fall short at all. It had badass weaponry, crisp graphics, and a unique musical score (a nice touch considering that every Star Wars game basically rips from movie titles).

The squad element is impressive. Command is easy to manipulate, especially with given formations (Form up, secure area, recall) and suggested operations in the environment (hacking, demolition, sniping). Revive was the most astonishing aspect though; I love the distorted, hazy red mask view of the battle above.

The atmosphere was dark and intimidating. Awesome. The enemies were similarly cold. This quality in the setting and NPCs was a major setback to JO and JA: they were too cartoonish.

I can't wait for MP. I can't wait for this whole game. w00t. LEC gets a clap from me.

RC could be the FPS that will secure LEC's past reputation as a quality game producer.

Rating: 9/10

Originally posted by Kurgan

Here's some pics I took at max settings (and yes, you can bind F12 or whatever to a screenshot key and the bmps appear in Gamedata/System/ just like UT).

Yes, I didn't bother to resize them so they are huge (like 160 kb's), only converted to JPEG. They are also fairly dark, but that's how you see them in-game.

Demo "Special" Weapons

All weapons have reloading except the pistol, which recharges (infinite ammo) much like your first gun in Unreal. The grenades you toss don't seem to have variable throwing power or distance, just fire and forget (like SWBattlefront). The Sniper Rifle has two levels of zoom.

(PS: It's interesting how you can't heal the Wookiee's and they can only use melee attacks themselves)

Then you get to use that Trandoshan Turret that fires missiles, and you get four types of grenades. Thermal Detonators, electric shock ones, sonic grenades and I forget the other type. There's a Republic Gunship in the demo, but it's used in a cutscene, rather than drivable.

Your wrist blade only seems to work using the Trooper weapons, except the pistol. For the pistol and everything else you do a rifle butt or pistol whip attack which seems to be just as powerful, although a few of the bigger guns are slower.

If you're curious what your character looks like in third person, here he is, and here

Fixed the broken links, and here's a pic of the Trando heavy machinegun! So that's all the demo weapons....

I thought that the demo was great, from gameplay to graphics to sound. I was amazed at the variety, coolness, and attention to detail in the graphics, especially the special effects, but what impressed me the most was that on probably my 5th or 6th time through the demo some situations still played out differently, and the squadmates still had (hilarious) lines that I hadn't heard the previous times. You can have just as much fun just messing around with the game and your squad as you can simply playing the game through.

Easily missed detail: the concussion rifle's melee attack electrocutes the Trandos (even if they're already dead).

Archived