Home

Found out why JA+ "features" are so crappy

RpTheHotrod

As everyone knows, they encourage admin abuse, exploits, decreases saber skills, increases spam, destroyed any skill in map navigation, encourages laming, etc...

I found out why Slider implements this.

I was talking to someone (a girl) that talks to Slider. She said she "made" him add another feature.

Pretty much...Slider is taking what a girl says and throws it into his mod.

Talking further to this girl....she admitted that she doesn't even duel. She has no clue what a butterfly or even what sweep is. She says all she does is do full force duels (meaning spamming grip/kick the whole time).

Well...there we go. Now we know why it's all horrible. Slider listens to the suggestions by people just because they are girls...even though they have no experience in actual JKA gameplay and have no idea how to work game balance.

I have the convo saved if you want it.

She claims the features are "cool and fun". She thinks pull/kick spamming people and laming them is "fun". She also thinks the stuff like /amkiss is "soooo coool"

This was my response

RpTheHotrod says:

yes, it's all "fun".....always is. Go to counterstrike and use a wall hack

RpTheHotrod says:

it's fun

RpTheHotrod says:

takes ALL skill out

RpTheHotrod says:

but sure is as hell fun!

RpTheHotrod says:

taking the easy route is always more fun

RpTheHotrod says:

having a command to slay everyone in the entire server would be fun

RpTheHotrod says:

fun isnt always best

Clueless Girl: thats the funniest thing i ever heard

Clueless Girl: GAMES WERE MADE TO HAVE FUN

Clueless Girl: FUN is the reason why people play a game

RpTheHotrod says:

yes but you must balance it

RpTheHotrod says:

otherwise you have abuse

RpTheHotrod says:

rules are there for a reason

Clueless Girl: ye and i balance it just fine ty

RpTheHotrod says:

slider took out all the rules set by the developers themselves and said, "lets all have an orgy fun h4x0r party!" Now you see admins teleporrting all over the place, abusing their powers

RpTheHotrod says:

peopel grappling hook all over the place

RpTheHotrod says:

people jetpacking all over the place

RpTheHotrod says:

you actually time something perfectly with a NORMAL kick (not the jk2 spam kick)

RpTheHotrod says:

what happens

RpTheHotrod says:

are you rewarded with a kill

RpTheHotrod says:

no

RpTheHotrod says:

they just grapple away to safety

RpTheHotrod says:

there is NO counter to grapple

RpTheHotrod says:

seeing it's instant

RpTheHotrod says:

you cant cut the grapple

RpTheHotrod says:

slider gives everyone "get out of jail free" cards. Lamers are rampant

RpTheHotrod says:

anytime yo utry to kill them

RpTheHotrod says:

they grapple across the map

Here's the best quote:

Clueless Girl: i dont like duels i prefer force fights

and she's "suggesting" features to slider and slider accepts them and implements them...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ill yust say this anyone that talks to slider and gives him GOOD! adice will probally get something added

*i helped a litle whit the weathere stuf some time ago*

maby you can come whit some idears to go agains admin abuse and all

and yes i know ho that girl whas becouse there are only 2 famous girls doing jka and only one not dueling that many ;)

Originally posted by Amidala

...Third, I have nothing personal against slider. My only problem is with his mod and how it enables and encourages behavior that drives players away from this game that we all love (if we didn't love it we wouldn't be arguing like this).

And, as far as I can tell, he is not a bad or evil person, and he is probably actually a pretty nice person in real life. I think he has been very restrained with me despite the merciless scorn I have heaped upon his mod, so I thank him for that.

Actually, I think part of the problem with JA+ is that slider is too nice a guy. He doesn't like to say NO when people suggest really dumb features. He is too eager to please some of the worst segments of this community, and that is his downfall. You see, if your children only want to eat candy and ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you, as a responsible adult, have to realize it's not in your children's best interests to grant their wishes and feed them nothing but candy and ice cream until they are obese and all of their teeth rot and fall out. You have to say NO. Even if slider is saying NO to 90% of the stupidest suggestions for features for JA+, 10% are still being added.

http://www.pcgamemods.com/forum/topicdisplay.php?t=95971&page=5

Clarification. Slider did the code work for the majority of the stuff in the trailer as far as I know. Granted, there is OJP material that you can see in there but most of the stuff is Slider's. I'm actually impressed with what he's come up with from what I've seen in the trailer.

The only issue I have is that Slider hasn't submitted any of this interesting stuff to OJP after using OJP material. It's not a huge deal, but I'd still like to see Slider contribute something.

- Razor Ace

Originally posted by Nokill

ill yust say this anyone that talks to slider and gives him GOOD! adice will probally get something added

*i helped a litle whit the weathere stuf some time ago*

maby you can come whit some idears to go agains admin abuse and all

and yes i know ho that girl whas becouse there are only 2 famous girls doing jka and only one not dueling that many ;)

I have given him several good suggestions ( and every single reply after my suggestion was all thumbs up ). Slider responded saying that his mod is fine already and perfectly balanced.

So no...if you got a good idea to suggest, it's doubtful it'll be implemented. It has to be "fun and unbalancing" to have consideration to be implemented.

Slider isn't really a bad guy, it's just that he has no common sense or experience in balancing gameplay. He adds "features" that are "fun" while ignoring the consequences of implementing them.

I'll repost what someone once posted

The core of the problem is this....every other FPS ever made on the Quake engine had a responsible mod making community, and a competitive minded player community. The modding community made mods to improve the competitive aspect of the game, which is what the players were looking for. This was not so in JK series. Modders like Slider (huge delerious newbies when it comes to the game) are quite clueless about the game from a competitive standpoint and were totally irresponsible in what content they added to their mod. They were totally unconcerned with the competitive aspect of the game, and instead catered to their own RPG desires. Their mods truly did ruin the gameplay of JKA on any competitive level whatsoever. Their mods are centered towards dumbing the game down for newbies, and giving bitter kiddie admins tools to take out their e-rage on superior players.

The mods made by Slider stand as the worst things ever to happen to this series from a competitive standpoint. They are complete clueless newbies. If you play on one of their mods, know that you are playing a mod made by someone without even the slightest understanding of game balance. If you are simply looking for a mod that will add JK2 style flip kicking without altering the core balance of the game, and still retaining all of the complex competitive aspects, get Xmod. Here are a few alterations to the basejka game which show the extreme newbishness of the creators of these mods:

1) 0 force regen. This is standard with their mod. The legit competitive setting determined by raven is and always has been (even in jk2) 200. By setting it to 0, it allows extreme spamming, and makes lightsiders all but invincable (on 0 regen you can heal 100 points every 5 seconds...LOL..newbies). Also, it removes all percision from the game. On legit settings every last move you make has to count. If you foul up a pull kick and miss, you will pay for it by losing precious force. In 0 you can just spam over and over and you never get penalized for sqrewing up a move since you can do it again over and over and know you will get your force back basically instantly. Retarded. A skilled player such as myself is basically invincable with lightside on 0 regen.

2) Absorb + Protect at the same time (WTF LOL). When I first saw this I was laughing my ****ing ass off. As if their mod didn't already unbalance everything enough in favor of lightsiders, now they make this stock. For you newbies out there, in the base game you cannot absorb and protect at the same time (for damn good reasons). Thanks, newbie modders. This just goes to show how clueless these modders are.

3) Grapplehooks and Jetpacks. Rubbish. The JKA maps are so great. They have so many little tricks and movement tactics. These maps were never meant to be played with these cheats, and these cheats make them extremely retarded. Raven intended players to have to master skills like wall climbing and strafe jumping. They intended players to actually have to learn to navigate maps the legit way. By adding these cheats not only do you make everyone invincable in an FFA, but you totally ruin map navigation. Idiots.

There are tons of other ridiculous tweaks these newbs made to the out of the box game. Including tweaks to sabers and blocking. I don't really feel like getting into it, as I feel my above points clearly showed what morons these guys are.

Despite the insults, it's all true.

People like slider act before thinking...and someone like that...especially adding things just because "omg omg it's a girl!", is definetly NOT someone you want on a development team of any sort.

well im trying to let him make a special version of ja+ that will leave almost evrything normal exept the duel start health and more duels at the same time and the plugin stuf ;)

and don't forget most of the servers make the dmg configs themselfs and slider his dmg stuf is not all that difrent from base jka

*it has been tested*

only the headshots and stuf is pretty iritating and you do his a lot faster in some conditions

ill keep you peeps posted

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

http://www.pcgamemods.com/forum/topicdisplay.php?t=95971&page=5

and what really ticks me off is how Slider shrugs it off and blames it on the community.

He sets the crappy settings ON by default. He says if the admins wanted it off, they could turn it off.

Fact

Admins don't know HOW most of the time and....

Fact

even if they did, they are too lazy to change the server settings.

If slider wants to play it smart, he should make all the bs stuff off by default (ie grapple hook, flipkick, 0 force regen, jetpack, etc...) and let the admins turn them on if they really wanted it on.

and nokill, what I'd like to see is the COMBAT SYSTEM of BladeMod (that's the BWN server mod) for FFA....with perhaps maybe some admin abilities like JA+....but NONE....of JA+s "gameplay" features.

I thought BladeMod was just a modification of the .sab files. There's no new COMBAT SYSTEM, right?

Anyway, I understand why Slider turns features on by default. People aren't very good about reading manuals so they normally won't see your cool/new features unless they are on by default.

let me say you would be impressed how people are tuning all the mods JA+ options like they want.....

i even often see server that only enable 20% of the ja+ cool new things.....

they twick everything in the server.Cfg

that is why i made the trailer....

and this is quite interesting the number of emails i received asking me how to enable some attacks i coded in the 1.3 version of the mod when it is now 2.3......

so most people even don't know things that are default on but the main admin remove them and nobody knows them

For your girl thing, let me explain to your matchist behaviour that the amkiss is made mainly for movies and funny rpg lovers.....

NOw let me say that i will not read all your comments analisis taking all my world and quoting all my single word to show i am wrong.....

you will also take i am sure plenty of comments in other forums, spamming this topics until making it unreadable

go ON

this is what you best do

It never ceases to amaze me that the best coder in JKA history has terrible grammar and spelling. Even worse is that the said best coder has made terrible mods that have completely killed a game and made it all "warm and cuddly," for lack of a better term. The mod is completely biased in favor of the "honorable leet bow players who know their skill," and completely against the people who cut the crap and play the game.

My main question is pretty simple. Why? Why do you continue to do this, slider? Have you not seen how bad the servers are? I've been banned from some obscene number of JKA servers for "being teh unhonorablez lamzor" and whatnot, and not to my suprise is that almost all of these were equipped with JA+.

I've been banned from servers just for winning, but I've also been teleported around and into death zones just for beating a clan leader. Whoops, I didn't bow. To the abyss with me! There was a reason that Ravensoft took out certain features, and yet here you are crusading to put them back in. I personally enjoy grip kicking, but it gets a bit tedious trying to kill someone who can just grapple to safety, and who can just hit the emote button to avoid dying.

Tell me this, Slider. Why do you make these features that you know will be abused? If the admin wanted them off, he would turn them off. Unfortunately, thanks to you, no administrator would EVER disable their trusty /amslap or /amthrowplayerintosomestupidplacebecauseicouldn'tkillhim.

Sure, it's their house and their rules, but that doesn't justify what YOU have done. You have given them nukes, taught them how they work, suggested that they use the weapons to their fullest, and yet you expect them to just "turn it off?"

The players are the ones getting screwed out of the game. I haven't played anywhere but ChopShop for the past half of a year, and that's because I've been banned from servers armed with your crap. If I haven't been banned, it will be because I haven't gone there. I'm convinced that Amidala is the only person who has half of a brain left in this world.

Another thing you failed to note is that often times, turning off your damages doesn't do jack squat. By this, I mean that even when your multiplayer saber damages and crappy moves are disabled, the damages are still different from the default ones. While you think that the MP damages are "better," you have to keep in mind that such a thought is YOUR opinion, and not that of the entire rest of the community. Your added moves and added commands have been put there because YOU don't know how a game was meant to be played, and so you are going to turn off the instant kill of a misplaced butterfly, and YOU are going to make it so you can take a squat instead of getting killed. Such at gripthrowing? No problem! Just teleport them into a hole. Suck at defending from a gripthrow? No worries, we'll just grappple and jetpack to safety. Hell, you can even set a single command to do most of these if you have half of a brain with the console.

Slider, the reason your mod isn't good by ANY standards is because you listen TOO much from the community. Most of the people who you are going to talk to have become pissed off because someone hit them while they were drinking a cup of tea. Most of the people who play the game like a normal person don't bother to talk to you, and for good reason. The game WAS just fine. It isn't anymore, and I guaruntee you a handful of us have you to thank.

And so I will. Thanks, Slider! You've wrecked what was once a fairly solid game, and you've made it a pain in the ass for the rest of us who just want to go in and kill, and ignore the new concept of a 3D Chatroom with pretty graphics. You're the best!

Archived