Home

File Structure Discovery

Shimaon

Greetings fine people of Holowan. I am sorry to inform you I have returned.

^^

Anyhow, while making a new mod (finally), I happened to notice something that as far as I'm aware, has changed since KotOR I... If you put any files in a folder within Override, then the game still finds it and uses it. Basically, this makes mod organization a snap. I haven't read anything about this, so sorry if it's old news.

-Shimaon, the Forgotten One (heh)

Hmm, interesting. Unfortunately that means that at least a couple of us (T7 and I for instance) will have to break the habit of creating subfolders in the override when we want to hide files from the game. But I agree -- that does make for better organization.

Welcome back Shimaon!

Originally posted by Shimaon

Greetings fine people of Holowan. I am sorry to inform you I have returned.

^^

Anyhow, while making a new mod (finally), I happened to notice something that as far as I'm aware, has changed since KotOR I... If you put any files in a folder within Override, then the game still finds it and uses it. Basically, this makes mod organization a snap. I haven't read anything about this, so sorry if it's old news.

-Shimaon, the Forgotten One (heh)

Definitely interesting news! Once I'm through playing 'legit' and go into "mod-mode" I'll have to experiment with this. Thanks for the tip Shimaon... oh BTW, what's the 'skinny' on your new mod, any juicy details to release yet? ;)

tk102 - That's actually how I discovered it, heh. Things in my "Unused" folder were appearing ingame, so I did some quick testing and figured out what was the cause. Thanks for the welcome.

:)

ChAiNz.2da - Yep, I play through it like that too, and I just finished my legit game today, heh. If you will recall, my mods tend to be amazingly simple, heh. Until I figure out how to model (been trying again and again), they're going to stay that way. The only one I really have lined up replaces Mandalore with a Mandalore model without the helmet (kind of a spoiler, so I'm not really saying what it shows, heh). The mod is so simple that I'm almost positive that someone else has probably done it already, so right now I'm trying to see if that is the case before releasing it, heh.

In other news, I've had the urge to make a few areas for awhile, so we'll see, but until then, you won't find anything too extravagant from me.

^^

Originally posted by tk102

Hmm, interesting. Unfortunately that means that at least a couple of us (T7 and I for instance) will have to break the habit of creating subfolders in the override when we want to hide files from the game. But I agree -- that does make for better organization.

A .zip or .rar archive would still work wouldn't it?

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

Chances are that the file loader stops looking once it has found the file it requires. If I were writing it, I would probably look in the top level of Override first, then start recursing into the subdirectories. After all, why go looking any further than necessary? :)

KMM does something to that nature. I break down my mods into subfolders automatically. whenever I tweak them I put them in a sub-subfolder. I discovered that kmm would grab all of the extra's in that folder and add them as well even if I didn't want it too. So I had to start being careful.

Now Mav we all know what we have to do if we end up with more than one of the same type 2da. We merge them.:D

This is one of the reasons I highly recommend we all start off and try to have merged 2da's with other mods ahead of time that way everybody has it easy.

@ Darkkender

DUHHH!! LOL j/k I know we have to merge .2da files I was just curious as to how the game would handle seeing two of the same .2da file in the override folder, seeing as you could store them in different sub-folders.

Archived