Home

TSL Restoration Project: website up!

Probably people with computers.

It's their mod. I imagine that gives them the right to invite whomever they want to be beta testers. The criteria above seem pretty reasonable. Perhaps you'd be happier if they add fuel to the fire by inviting everyone that's bashed and whined since they announced the project?

Anything else?

What are you implying?

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't want everyone beta testing, they want people who they feel will be responsible and won't abuse the privilege of having the mod for a time. Just because they're taking precautions doesn't mean that they're all of a sudden going to release this very talked about mod to a select few people just for kicks.

They don't want everyone beta testing, they want people who they feel will be responsible and won't abuse the privilege of having the mod for a time. Just because they're taking precautions doesn't mean that they're all of a sudden going to release this very talked about mod to just a few people just for kicks.

So, where in my original post did I mention the Beta Testing?

So, where in my original post did I mention the Beta Testing?

It didn't. But it was really strongly implied that you were responding to that particular bit of information, both here and at the OE boards. Besides, it wouldn't make sense in any other context (unless you're randomly speculating that the mod may be a private release).

• 2 weeks later...

Is this mod going to restore unused music? There's quite a lot in the music folder that you never actually hear:

mus_a_200droid.wav - A comic piece for B-4D4.

mus_a_262sith.wav - Short cue with the Sith theme from KotOR, apparently for something that happens at the Telos Academy (Atris revealing herself to be Sith, or being killed by the Exile?).

mus_a_800.wav - A jaunty action cue featuring the Exile's theme, definitely one the best. Judging by the 800 number it involves either the Battle of Telos or the Droid Factory (I forget how that goes). I'd say to replace Jeremy Soule's reused music on Nihilus's ship, but it might detract from the creepy atmosphere (that music ought to be replaced by some of Griskey's "creepy" music anyway).

mus_a_800core.wav - Droid planet/factory?

mus_atris.wav - Theme for Atris. Maybe for key scenes involving her. I'm not sure if this was unused, it's been a while.

mus_kreiadark.wav - Used in the launcher and cutscenes, but not game proper. Then again, those uses might be enough.

mus_nihilus.wav - Music with the new Sith theme. The bridge of Nihilus's ship seems the obvious choice (though it would help if the music didn't start until the actual confrontation began). Most of this piece is used in one of the cutscenes.

mus_s_darkshort.wav - I don't remember hearing this anywhere. It's a short excerpt from mus_a_711.wav, which is the trial on Korriban.

mus_s_kreiadark.wav - Where would this go? I think it would make an awesome effect to place this music on Kreia's line in the Jedi Enclave right before she zaps the Jedi masters to death.

mus_s_revel.wav - Not sure, was this used?

mus_s_romance.wav - No ideas. There wasn't really much romance, right?

mus_traya.wav - Traya's Theme - new music and a choral remix of the Goto's Yacht music. I recommend the core of Trayus Academy.

In addition, there are cases of music being poorly implemented:

mus_a_800b.wav is used during the Battle of Telos segment, but I think it is a theme for the HK-50 droids: it also appears subtly in mus_a_100.wav (the Peragus station music) and that's where the first HK-50 droid is. Anyway, it sounds rather rhythmic and repetitive, droid-like. I would recommend placing mus_a_800b.wav in whatever restored droid planet/factory material there will be, and putting mus_a_800.wav in the Telos station segment.

mus_a_900alt.wav is used peculiarly in the Dantooine cave. You can recognize this music as being based off the Sith theme from the first game, so why is it underscoring a hunt for lightsaber crystals? It's later used in Trayus Academy, which is obviously its proper location, judging by the 900 number. The Kinrath cave could use mus_a_610.wav (Jedi Enclave basement) or mus_a_400.wav (Dxun wilds), for example.

mus_s_lightshort.wav is only used to introduce whatshername, the administrator on Dantooine. It could have more uses, perhaps used instead of mus_s_lightside.wav in minor cases because mus_s_lightside.wav is a little overkill. Speaking of mus_s_lightside.wav it always fades out halfway, before the triumphant ending chord.

mus_s_positive.wav is only used after the adventure in Nadd's tomb. Could be better implemented (but not too often, since it's a very bright piece in a very dark game).

As mentioned before mus_sith.wav is from the first game, and I would recommend replacing it.

Just thought I'd bring this to your attention as it doesn't seem to be mentioned on the web site. And sorry for all the pompous "I would recommends," hehe.

It has been a while since they gave us a rundown on the obsticles they have faced. I noticed some slight advancements in progress, and some new additions to their project. Since this is only a hobby, I can understand that life comes first. Dashus is in college, and I can see his point of view. College and life first, and then modding on free time. I do pretty much the same thing. One of my mods has taken some time to complete, for I have become confronted by college and life. A few months ago, I decided to read a mess of their posts in their 'Official Forums'. As I gained prestiege in mod making, I started to respect their hardwork. Like any puzzle, there are alot of pieces to fit together. When you think you have something done, there is allways a small piece that needs tweaking. Some times you find something new, and then you make slight changes here or there... It is all part of learning and piecing things together...

• 2 weeks later...
Just a question, I read in your mod there'll be a lot of ways to kill party members, will you leave one without any loss in the Exile's group?

Yes.

Are there going to be any little extra tidbits included wit hthe Restoration patch' date=' besides the patch itself? Since one of the Team Gizka members is the "contributor of unrelated and crazy ideas". It would be neat to see some improvements. Or some nice extras.[/quote']

Vel needed a title that was both shorter and more official than "Friend of Aur's Who Sits in the IRC Channel and Makes Us Laugh on Occasion." :p

We'll be releasing some of our internal tools as we get closer to release, yes, but there's not really any "tidbits" besides the mod.

I just wanted to say thanks for doing this restoration! I just finished my 2nd game of Kotor 1 and today installed Kotor 2 for the first time. I installed the patch and the improved movies and audio and then went to look for any good mods to start the game with that would not unbalance it.

Needless to say it did not take long for me to discover that the game was released in an unfinished state :( Since I hate to play unfinished games and once complete I am sure I will totally enjoy this one I will wait till you guys finish before I start my first game.

What a shame that such a good game, and one that got very good reviews would be released in such a state. It seems odd coming from the people who comprise Obsidian and Lucas Arts. Usually these are the people who try to get things right from the start! I am especially upset with Lucas, making them release a product that was not ready. It seems like odd behavior from that company.

Anyway your page is marked and I will check it regularly. Thanks again to your whole team. You guys remind me of the CO8 guys who fixed ToEE, another unfinished product that could have been special when it came out.

Archived