Home

Need help editing a mod made by someone else

Clone L68362

This is new to me...I downloaded KT because I wanted some custom robes for my PC, and I wanted a brown skin of Revan's cutscene style robes. I found one by RedHawke, and put it in my override, and I open KT, go to BIF, templates, Items, and just where I think it should be (it's g_a_mstrrobe07a.uti) under g_a_mstrrobe07, I don't see it. I also think I need to download other tools to edit this once I find out where it is.

So, my question is...what exactly should I do?

And yes, I have permission from RedHawke to modify this.

You will not find modded items in the BIF's tree of KT... that contains only the stock game items.

You have to go to 'file' and 'open' then surf to your override and open the particular .uti in question from there, then edit the items properties to taste and save it over my original in your override. You can do the same for all the items that come with my mods, put your own spin on things. Fred Tetra really spoils us rotten with KT.

Most importantly have fun! :D

And yes, I have permission from RedHawke to modify this.

Technically you don't need permission to edit any file I made on your end for personal use. ;)

You would need permission to release it for download though! :D

Ugggh, I tried to open it but got one of those error things (where it says if you click continue it will attempt to ignore the error blah blah) So then I tried out GFF editor because I thought I might need that, opened it, and still couldn't do anything...

Oh, and now KT isn't showing anything at all when I start it up...the whole tree is gone.

Edit: Nevermind, fixed KT. Well, at least I did something right.

Ugggh, I tried to open it but got one of those error things (where it says if you click continue it will attempt to ignore the error blah blah) So then I tried out GFF editor because I thought I might need that, opened it, and still couldn't do anything...

I have the same problem too, but it will eventually come up if you try to open it several times.

You can also right click any UTI., go to "open with">chose program> browse.

Before you hit the browse botton, check the "always open with" box.

Then click "browse." Find the exe. for Kotor Tool. Usually its in C:\Program Files\Kotor Tool.

Now all you have to do is double click any extracted UTI. and it opens automatically!

Just a little tip to save time! :)

1- Open KotOR Tool.

2- Press Crtl + O on your keyboard (The equivilent ot File->Open GFF File...)

3- Open the GFF file in the openFile dialog.

4- Make any changes and save the file.

5- Don't bump, you'll get the thread closed.

Also, the GFF editor is a part of KT, not KT itself, so I'm suprised that it worked at all for anyone.

I tried opening it 10 times...nothing.

Do you have the latest release of KT?

Do you have the KT option on for checking the override for 2da files?

I opened the robe uti's in question just fine on my end before I posted the response above. ;)

I'm bored. If a bump is what I need to get some more input, then that's what I'll do. Sorry.

Wow! You are quite aware of the Forum Rules, that is fairly obvious, and you actually go so far as to flaunt your breaking of them! What makes you immune to the rules?

This is a Forum not IM, you will have to wait more than a few hours for a response, people come on at different times, sometimes you might have to wait days for a response, that's purely common sense.

Please don't do that again, it can actually drive those who would try to help you away. (Not to mention get your thread closed as Jmac stated above)

Ok jmac, step 3 is where you lose me. openFile dialog? Whatever that means...

Maybe there's something else I need to put in the override that came with your mod RH

Also...I said I was sorry :o...I had to wait 3 and a half hours and I highly doubted I would get any more responses considering how far down it had gone. I'm just getting frustrated. :(

Also...I said I was sorry

I saw that, but honestly where does it say it is ok to break the rules as long as you say you are sorry?

I must have missed that part.

:o...I had to wait 3 and a half hours and I highly doubted I would get any more responses considering how far down it had gone. I'm just getting frustrated. :(

3 1/2 Hours is far from long enough on a Forum to reasonably expect an answer! So the thread was going down the page, this doesn't mean it won't be read. This is all no excuse to break the Forum Rules!

You must learn some patience there Padawan. :ben:

Now lets not have any further discussion about this "bumping" incident of yours, back on topic.

Ok jmac, step 3 is where you lose me. openFile dialog? Whatever that means...

Just a guess but I would think that was the "Open File" window?

In that window go to your KOTOR override and open the file you select.

Maybe there's something else I need to put in the override that came with your mod RH

Since you seemed to ignore my questions the first time...

You do have the newest version of KT, and have it set to look for 2da files in override right?

You have to have KT set to read the 2da files in your override or some of my robe/armor items will not open properly, and give you a crash. Especially those with the "a" at the ends of their names. Those have a custom disguise property and KT will need to read the appearance.2da from your override that came with my mod. ;)

To activate this go to "tools" then click on "options" and click on the "other" tab and you will see the checkbox for this there, make sure it is checked and click "ok"... :)

I hope I finish typing this before you leave Hawke....

I'm doing everything you guys are saying. Here's exactly what I'm doing:

Open KT

Ctrl+O

Go to Override, double click mstrrobe07a

Error thing pops up.

Repeat 50 more times

I have the newest version and it's set to read 2da's in the override. The only things in my override are the mstrrobe07a and the appearance2da that was in that same mod.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT?!?! :blast5:

The only things in my override are the mstrrobe07a and the appearance2da that was in that same mod.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT?!?! :blast5:

I really can't say, since you don't have everything from my mod installed I really cannot predict what will happen, as I do have everything installed and it opens fine here.

Though I personally don't see where you are doing anything incorrectly, that is the only difference I see.

Try this, with my appearance.2da in your KOTOR I override...

> Open KT

> Go to BIF's/Templates/Blueprint, Item...

> Open g_a_mstrrobe07.uti (The Stock One)

> In the items Properties Editor double click on the gray row end that has the * on it...

> In the Properties Box select the Property "Disguise" at the bottom...

> In the SubType Appearance select "Unique_Darth_Revan02" see if it even shows up there. Add the property by clicking the 'add' button.

> Go to the Item Description tab at the end of Star Forge Robes add a space and a capital "I" making it "Star Forge Robes I"

> Go to the General Tab and add an "a" at the end of the 'Tag' and 'Template ResRef' entries. (g_a_mstrrobe07a)

> Click Save and save the file as g_a_mstrrobe07a.uti over the one of mine in your override.

Go into the game cheat for the robe and see if it works. Then see if you can open that uti file from KT then you can edit to taste.

Note: Along with the uti and 2da files you will also need the N_DarthRevan02.tga in your override as well or you won't have the texture. ;)

Ok, I did all that and things are starting to progress. Thanks for helping out people. However, when I go to change the Defense bonus, I can't set it higher than 5. Hmm.

I'm gonna go test it out real quick, then I'm gonna go get some sleep. Thanks a ton for the help so far guys. I appreciate you being patient with me.

Ok, I did all that and things are starting to progress. Thanks for helping out people.

You are welcome! :D

However, when I go to change the Defense bonus, I can't set it higher than 5. Hmm.

:eyes8: Higher than 5! Now what were you saying about someones items being too powerful? :xp: J/K! :D

Give in to the uber-item darkside! It is your destiny! :emperor:

Seriously though, you can add another Defence property in so if you want say an 8 bonus you will need one property at a 5 and a second at a 3, I believe they will add together and will work fine. ;)

Also, I don't have a saved game with a Jedi character so...how am I gonna be able to test it right away? Is there a way I can give myself the Jedi Defense feat?

KSE would be your best bet here... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't started a game yet, I've been working on something else, but I hit a problem again. I want to use Bastila's Revelation Robes (well, actually the LS/DS robes made by Kazeite) which has an appearance.2da file, but the robes you helped me make need that appearance.2da file too. So, I got the Revan robes working, then downloaded everything for Bastila, then I went to the 2da editor and did what it said (change the envmap from default to CM_Baremetal and save.) When I save it, it wants to save over the appearance.2da file for the Revan robes, so how do I get these to go together? I tried just changing that thing to CM_Baremtal and not saving over the one for Revan, but then it just goes back to default.

Jeez, that was a lot. Hope you guys followed that.

Silly Clone! :roleyess: How is the changes going to be made if you don't save the file after editing it? :D

You just open up the current working Revan Robes appearance.2da* in your override, and edit Bastila's line towards the top with the CM_BareMetal in that one envmap cell, like the mod instructs you, then save it... yes, you have to overwrite the original 2da file for it to work.

Then just put all of the other mod files in your override. You should be good to go.

* Always make a backup of the last working 2da file before editing, in case of emergency you can easily recover. ;)

Archived