Home

Moderation issues

MdKnightR

Edit: this discussion has been splitted from "the Milk thread" in Ahto - d333

It seems kind of odd to me that my poll about underwear was closed but this one about milk remains open. D333 sited that my poll would lead to nothing but provacative and perverse discussion, but I think that milk could easily go the same way. If mine was closed for being spam-like in nature (even though that was not my intention), then I believe that this one should be also. I vote that moderators be consistent when closing down polls on trivial subjects.

I call a vote of no.

And why not be consistent? You just closed "what are you eating right now?" but "what are you listening to right now?" is the oldest spamfest in the forums. Now while I am not asking for that one to be closed, it is food for thought and I think that is a perfect example of the lack of consistency. Are there no rules that moderators have to live by?

Please keep in mind that I post this message in earnest and, while fearing that I may be dismissed (or worse, banned) for speaking my mind, I think something like this should be brought to light.

And why not be consistent?

Because consistency is over-rated.

You just closed "what are you eating right now?" but "what are you listening to right now?" is the oldest spamfest in the forums. Now while I am not asking for that one to be closed, it is food for thought and I think that is a perfect example of the lack of consistency.

The difference between them is no one (me) cares that you just ate a pizza and it was good. Posting about what you're listening to right now at least leads to conversation or member bonding.

Are there no rules that moderators have to live by?

Only on Friday night, "You have to give a safety word".

Please keep in mind that I post this message in earnest and, while fearing that I may be dismissed (or worse, banned) for speaking my mind, I think something like this should be brought to light.

K.

If you have comments about moderation actions, please post them in the feedback forum instead of cluttering the threads with off-topic discussions. I am splitting your posts from the thread (edit: mine and IS' as well).

The milk thread was a bit weird but harmless and somewhat amusing (though I am not sure anyone would enjoy having 10 similar polls on the first forum page).

The undies poll was not leading to any discussion and many of our members felt uncomfortable with it and frankly there's no point in asking teenagers what undies they wear.

The food thread: we have a pretty recent cooking thread and "what is your favorite meal" thread not too far in Ahto if you want to discuss food. But the closed "what are you eating right now" thread would have more than likely generated a grocery list with no interest at all. The music thread is different as music topics normally interest people.

There's no straight line that can be traced. It's a matter of judgment and we take into account the quality of discussion as well as the clientele of the forums.

Edit: BTw, you qualified your own poll as trivial...

Okay, since trivial polls have been reaching a fever pitch, I figured I would add to the madness.

Just because I called it "trivial" doesn't necessarily mean that it was worthless. If you look at a lot of what we discuss here in the forums, you will surely find an overabundance of trivia.

As for the "there's no point in asking teenagers what undies they wear," I concede on the issue. Now it is quite obvious to me that I didn't exercise judgement before posting that poll. I often fail to acknowledge that a good portion of our members are still minors since so many of us are adults here. For that, I apologize.

Still, the milk thread should qualify as SPAM IMHO. It falls right in there with the "what are you eating right now?" thread as being a discussion more suited for the "cooking" or "what is your favorite meal" thread.

Also, I have a legitimate question. If a Super-Moderator does something out of line, who is there to give him/her the proverbial slap on the wrist and stern warning? There have been a number of times that I have seen a certain Sup-Mod (that shall remain nameless) say things that would have warranted a warning (in the least), but nothing has been said.

Still, the milk thread should qualify as SPAM IMHO. It falls right in there with the "what are you eating right now?" thread as being a discussion more suited for the "cooking" or "what is your favorite meal" thread.

No thread is automatically spam. Well, some are, but that's rarely the case. They evolve into a spamfest. Up to now, the milk thread hasn't seen a significant amount of spam, since it remained on-topic for the most part.

I can't find the mentionned "What are you eating now thread?" but I'm more then certain there was a good reason to close it.

You also have to take into account that moderators are judges and not simply police officers who enforce the law. Each judge has a different interpretation of what spam is and a different level of tolerance.

Also, I have a legitimate question. If a Super-Moderator does something out of line, who is there to give him/her the proverbial slap on the wrist and stern warning? There have been a number of times that I have seen a certain Sup-Mod (that shall remain nameless) say things that would have warranted a warning (in the least), but nothing has been said.

Admins I think. I don't think I've ever seen a Super-Mod really go out of line. Like I said, there's a tolerance level for anything. Some members have a lower level of tolerance (which leads to people thinking you're hostile when you're not). I do get that a lot...

Anyway, mods don't have to be angels afterall. We're all human.

First, there has to be a need for a new moderator which can vary in nature - policing the forums is not all, sometimes we may look for a member with specific knowledge. When there's an opening we look at the potential candidates, their posting history, knowledge of the topic, etc. and we approach once there is a consensus.

Insane Sith can be a little to blount at times, but that's no reason to go complaining becasue he closed your thread. He's a moderator - no, a Super-Moderator - so, honestly, what right do you have to question his judgement? He's closed a few of my threads, but he had good reason. For example:

I recently started a thread asking people about thier religous beliefs. In retrospect, that was possibly the stupidist thing I've ever done. Something like 80% of the wars in history have been started by religous arguments. I could have started an internet war if Insane Sith hadn't closed it.

I don't mean to offend anybody, but you need to lighten up.

Insane Sith can be a little to blount at times, but that's no reason to go complaining becasue he closed your thread. He's a moderator - no, a Super-Moderator - so, honestly, what right do you have to question his judgement? He's closed a few of my threads, but he had good reason. For example:

I recently started a thread asking people about thier religous beliefs. In retrospect, that was possibly the stupidist thing I've ever done. Something like 80% of the wars in history have been started by religous arguments. I could have started an internet war if Insane Sith hadn't closed it.

I don't mean to offend anybody, but you need to lighten up.

Insane Sith didn't close one of my threads, Darth333 did. She showed me the error of my ways and I appreciate her candor. The only reason that I mentioned I.S. was as an example of a lack consistency in the moderation of threads. It wasn't because he closed one of mine. Get your facts straight before you try to play moderator yourself ;).

BTW, I have the right to question his judgement because of something called Freedom of Speech :xp:

Insane Sith didn't close one of my threads, Darth333 did. She showed me the error of my ways and I appreciate her candor. The only reason that I mentioned I.S. was as an example of a lack consistency in the moderation of threads. It wasn't because he closed one of mine. Get your facts straight before you try to play moderator yourself ;).

BTW, I have the right to question his judgement because of something called Freedom of Speech :xp:

Sorry, I guess I should know what the thread is about before I post. But still, There's no need to be insulting. These guys work hard, and they don't deserve to be insulted or have their moderating abilities questioned.

BTW, Freedom of speech doesn't exist here. We have no rights as non-moderators:xp:

Sorry, I guess I should know what the thread is about before I post. But still, There's no need to be insulting. These guys work hard, and they don't deserve to be insulted or have their moderating abilities questioned.

BTW, Freedom of speech doesn't exist here. We have no rights as non-moderators:xp:

I never said they don't work hard. You are reading far too much into my statements. Most of the moderators do an outstanding job and I don't believe that I insulted any of them. I stated an opinion, simple as that. Freedom of Speech does exist here in the forums because if it didn't, there wouldn't be any forum. A forum is precisely the place for free speech. And we do have rights here. If we didn't, there wouldn't be a need for moderators. Some moderators temper their judgement with compassion (like ChaiNz) and others rule with an iron fist (Insane Sith), but the fact remains that we do have rights. We have a right to a pleasant posting environment without people starting up inflamatory threads or comments. I have a right to express my feelings on any issue. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Pretty cool and reasonable way of doing it. Maybe one day I can qualify. Overall, I think my record is good. I think I have only been "called out on the rug" twice in almost 1000 posts.
No need to self promote. It is not taken into account. ;)

Freedom of Speech does exist here in the forums because if it didn't, there wouldn't be any forum. A forum is precisely the place for free speech. And we do have rights here. If we didn't, there wouldn't be a need for moderators. Some moderators temper their judgement with compassion (like ChaiNz) and others rule with an iron fist (Insane Sith), but the fact remains that we do have rights. We have a right to a pleasant posting environment without people starting up inflamatory threads or comments. I have a right to express my feelings on any issue. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Did you not see the smiley at the end of my post:xp:? I was kidding. I know freedom of speech exists here, and I know we have rights.

Tell me, does your leg hurt yet?

I believe that there is no need for a Feedback Forum. The moderators are already doing us a big favour by even tolerating our presence and having patience for our lack for self-control. But some moderators could be honest about things like: Who do ehy don't like, or do they clasify the world into stupid and smart people and so.

I know that some people are surely insulted by this, but I had to say it... And so I apologise.

Archived