Home

Who have more of a tactical advantage in space Imps or rebels

Jason91

Who have more of a tactical advantage in space Imps or rebels because the imps have the sd's but have to depoly tie fighters from either sd's or space stations. Yet the rebels may not have the do not have the sd's but have the mon cal crusiers and have the x-wings jump into space all ready 2 fight. But unfortuately lack the tactical forces to wage pure war on the ground :(

the Imps are a trained army therefore should know tactics slightly better and killerluk u try using the interdictors(sp?) against me and I will blast them out of the sky.

MON CALAMARIS own they have 3 shield generators unlike the imps!!!!!

you are no match for the power of the empire :p shields will only help you so long mhwoaooa

and yes i mean using the interdictors as a main tactic

'Remember Luk the force will be with you, always' I would like to see the interdictor beat a mon calamari! its like 2 times smaller It will be crushed. that or red squadron will own you!

yeah but if we have a 1on1 (SDvsMC) while my first generator is destroyed yours is gone and I can begin damaging you muhahahahhahahahhahahhahhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahaaa!

They both have different tactics, uncomparable.

Rebs: guerilla warfare, hit and run and that's it.

Imps: they just occupy everything they can and hope to run into them that way.

These tactics are used everywhere and it's obvious none of em work. See now with the USA in Irak. Is it going anywhere? No. How long has it been? Very long, especially for a country like Irak

They both have different tactics, uncomparable.

Rebs: guerilla warfare, hit and run and that's it.

Imps: they just occupy everything they can and hope to run into them that way.

These tactics are used everywhere and it's obvious none of em work. See now with the USA in Irak. Is it going anywhere? No. How long has it been? Very long, especially for a country like Irak

Not comparable since the Empire isn't hamstrung by having to worry about civilian casualties.

• 4 weeks later...

Space battles *should* be reasonably even ... I mean, the Demo highlights the effectiveness of bombers when used properly to disable systems - and as the Rebels hold the better bombers (and starfighters in general) that should counterballance the Imperials capital ship superiority and make things fairer ...

Well... both teams have their own unique advantages, but as some of you have pointed out it isnt the team that is better, it is the player. If you know how to use your fleet wisely and know all the special abilities and you exploit them than you can easily beat a fleet that is twice your size.

For example, in the demo I sent the millenium falcon to the Vegresso Asteroids alone. I managed to destroy everything with one single unit. Technically speaking the imps should have won, but since I knew the advantages of the millenium falcon and knew its ability and I was smart enough to take advantage of the map itself (such as nebula fields) I managed to win.

Ultimatly it depends on your strategy rather than the units you have, or don't have ;)

I've gotten the hang of using the Rebels now, can destroy pretty much anything the demo throws at me with no losses. Using Chris' mod allows you to feel a little more about the game and how it will play. It's interesting, i think Imperials have strength of numbers, but i don't think they have many special abilities. While rebels each unit has a special ability. I'm going to enjoy flanking the rebel scum with my tie fighters and bombers and luring the rebels into a classic trap. I think the first thing you have to do as Imperials is be aggressive. You can't allow the rebels time and space. You need to box them in.

Or, you can use a unit as a tempter, bring their forces out, and flank them from behind with bombers to take out their prized ships. Bombers are surprisingly effective, espically against the larger ships.

Timing with this game is everything, and for Rebels it's knowing when to strike, the ships do move gently, they don't ever 'anchor'. So if a player ignores a unit for too long it will stray into open space and become a juicy target. I find this order to be the most effective: Shield Gen, Engines, Hanger, Weaponary. The more ships you disable, the more chance you have of winning. You could even let the ships live but keep them disabled. Giving the opposite player a fake lifeline.

Theres so much potential when it comes to the space battles. Can't wait to destroy you all with my cunning :D

I disagree with the above. I've played the demo an awful lot now, and have messed about with all kinds of tactics. As long as the rebels know what the enemy have, and build the appropriate units, they will win easily.

The smaller Imperials ships are awful to fighter squadrons. I've been able to take out 12 of them with eight squads of xwings and 8 squads of awings, with minimual loss. It gets tricky when the Imperials have a fair few of those small anti fighter ships. Those are a real pain in the ass, they take down fighters so easily.

I find ignoring the fighters and bombers and concentrating on the larger ships the best tactic. I tend to build a fair few corvettes to help protect the larger vessels. Use the long range missile ships. If you have 3-5 of those they take down Star Destroyers in no time. The larger ships should be a screen and take on the large Star Destroyers, using the missile ships to produce a barrage effect. The fighters should go in and take down the smaller ships, ignoring the fighters. While corvettes protect the larger ships from bombers.

First goal as Rebels is to take down the anti fighter ships though. If you don't you'll lose big time. Y wings aren't really needed, i find their armour to be pretty weak. But if you do use them, they need to go in fire and then fall back straight away.

Well, the Empire basically pumps out fighters and bombers in space for free, Which i think is an Advantage, basically with tartans, stardestroyers and maybe some broadside ships, you've got a complete, working fleet, the Rebels need to get their fighters and bombers extra.

Has any ever seen the Just Shoot Me episode(yeah I know no one has cause you all hate it) where they had Mark Hamill Luke Skywalker guestar? he was following one of the characters from the show around harrassing him an in one scene when he was replying to a phone call and mark said at the end Copy that Red two... yeah that sounds pretty lame lame now but t'was funny as heck when I saw it.

Anyhow onto my point

MON CALAMARIS own they have 3 shield generators unlike the imps!!!!!

yeah but in some cases they only delay the enivitable

Imps. only just though.

The fact they deploy fighters and bombers effectively, free of cost and unit cap, is a major plus. If you have anti-fighter ships in your attacking fleet then your on a winner. Use the anti-fighter frigs and heroes such as boba fett (who seriously owns the hell out of fighters) to kill their fighter screen, batter their anti-fighter capabilities and your bombers can reap wonderful chaos over the remaining ships.

I think Imperials have the edge for now, Their Patrol ships power up ability can destroy many ships. Ive had a group of 5(= to 2 victory class SD) patrol ships destroy a Mon Calamari ship and Lost 3 of the Patrol ship. The SD's were obliterated, Then again, the Y wings are really strong against the SDs, So it goes on the arsenal you have when you enter space.

• 2 months later...

cough cough cough, do you know that ISD's have more firepower than the MonCals? Check it in the hardpoints XML file, so even with more shield generators, the ISD still launches bombers and fighters. MonCal get owned

Corellian Gunship wolfpack > anything else

I wish I could remember who in these forums recommended this strategy to me, or remember which thread it was posted in. Maybe they'll come by and claim this strategy, because it's certainly theirs and not mine originally.

With ten gunships and nominal reinforcements (ten or less) I've been able to beat any Imperial fleet on hard difficulty. And my kill ratio is extraordinarily high.

I use concentration-of-fire on the biggest enemy units (i.e., ISDs), then attack-move through everything that remains, then kill the space station last (if I'm the attacker). I might snipe the hangar if it's a lvl-4 or 5 station that's generating Acclamators. Otherwise I ignore it until everything else is dead.

Archived