Home

Mercenary Crew: Age of the Empire

starmark2k

Link to the Discussion thread (timeline, Character Sheets, etc…) http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=159114&page=1&pp=40

A couple of notes before we start. Although they are sometimes unavoidable can we try not to do one line posts. Also can you try to work in where you are exactly on the ship in your posts, it will prevent confusion.

So lets get going, I’ll do a small prologue as told from my characters P.O.V…

The Clone war ended with a Republic victory, although that’s up for Debate. Within 24 hours the Republic became the Imperial Empire, the Jedi were all but destroyed and the Supreme chancellor named himself the emperor. Palpatine with his right hand man, Darth Vader, Set about subjugating the Galaxy. Planets like Kashyyyk were the planets that felt the fall brunt of the tyrannical racism of the New empire, Slavers moved in months after it was formed. Any one found to have any kind of link to the force are either killed or never heard from again.

My name is Nic White and like most people I hate the Empire. I’m a smuggler, thief and all round good guy, I do whatever it takes to hurt the empire in my own small way. I got my self a ship, The Echo, and the best damn mercenary crew there is.

We tend to fly under radar never taking on anything that will cause too much unwanted attention. Well that was until 10 years after the clone wars ended, when we got a whole heap of trouble in the shape of a Jedi…

The Echo was In the Hanger of the commercial station simply known as A12- 76. A12- 76 was controlled by a small corporation, that refuelled and re-supplied ships that need it. The station was just off the Hydian Way trade route; this made it a prime location for smugglers and other criminal vessels.

Nic White Stood on the cat-walk opposite the loading ramp, He was looking down at the ‘Hanger hands’ walking in and out of the ship moving the Cargo the Echo had just brought in. He was watching them carefully making sure they only moved the smuggled goods rather than the ships supplies.

Two of the ‘Hanger hands’ were moving a large box, one of the men obviously had a bad grip and dropped his end of the crate. The Sound of the crate hitting the metallic floor echoed around the cargo hold.

“HEY!” Nic shouted to get the mans attention. “Be careful, half these boxes have high yield explosives in them and I do not want to be scrubbing pieces of your brain off the wall.”

The ‘Hanger hand’ simply waved in agreement and picked the crate up again and took it out of the ship.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sabotage!" shouted Oliver, while he cleaned the room. Oliver did always clean his room often, but this time he shouted desperatly. "Who has taken my bacta spray!? If the second time!".

He shouts something like: "If i find the man, who did this" or "They have stealed it!". But suddenly there is very quiet in his room. Very quiet.

He was tall and surprisingly attractive For a human, anyway, Ryshana thought to herself. He had been following her for some time, and by now, Ryshana was sure that he was an Imperial operative. He had started following her after the breakout at the Coruscant prison center. Now on board an illegal refugee transport, she was on her way to Dantooine where she had heard the Rebel Alliance was hiding out. On the way, the transport would have to stop for supplies at a station of some kind, and that meant a small, out of the way station since the transport didn't want to be detected by the patrolling Imperial Fleet. It was an odd feeling, though, for Ryshana since she knew that she had to take care of him. However, it wasn't just a simple matter of killing him quietly or by exposing him to the masses of illegal refugees being transported with her. It just wouldn't be the proper way.

Instead, Ryshana decided to get a bit creative. In the small mess hall, Ryshana could feel him watching her, although she knew that he was being very discreet about it. Well, so it begins.

When the pilot, Jack, wasn't in the bridge he was in his room either using his punchbag or trying to get some sleep in his bed. His room was pretty empty, just a bed in the corner and a punchbag in the middle. He didn't even have any wallpaper on the walls, there was just metal. His room really repersented his personallity, cold and empty.

At this moment Jack was trying to get some shut eye but he kept having the same nightmare over and over again. It was alwase the same nightmare, it was his past haunting him, torturing him for all the wrong doings he did when he went missing. The dream started off him in a primative village on a grassy green, the village was full of children running around in laughter, people picking the flowers that decorated the green and people chat between one enough. After a minute or two the scenary changed, the once grassy green was now a burnt wasteland, the wooden houses were now turned into burning rubbel and the people were corpse. Only a young, beautifull women stood before Jack and said in a weak voice Why Jack? Why? and then infront of Jack she began to burn alive to a crispe.

He then woke, sweating and his heart beating like mad. He got up, put on a tee-shirt and tousers and left to get a cold drink.

"G'mornin' Cap'n," Jana said, sounding fairly happy overall. Her apparent happiness was not false. They had a job and that always put Jana in a better mood... not to say she was continually in a bad mood, but...

"What're we carrying this time?" she asked. "Known or unknown?"

Nic looked over at Jana and smiled back at her.

"I don't know once we have all these weapons unloaded we'll have to go and look for a new job." He told his First Mate before turning and looking back down at the cargo bay floor. He noticed another 'hanger hand' pick up one of the ships supply Crates. "For the love of... Hey you!" The Hanger hand looks up. " Only take the crates with the numbers on them." He turns back to Jana "show me a competant hanger hand i'll give you 2000 credits."

"Ah," Jana laughed. "I guess I woke up earlier than normal... I usually come out here when they're loading... not unloading."

She looked down into the cargo bay and chuckled at Nic's challenge.

"They do seem to hire the idiots, don't they, Sir?"

"Yeah." Nic thought for a moment, he was trying to remember if any of his contacts opperated on A12-76. After a few moments he looked back up at Jana. "Does Zeek still live on this station or has he retired?"

Nic and Jana knew Zeek back when they were a couple of freelancers, He was the kind of man who had his fingers in every pie going. If any one has a job for them he would.

In a hurry, Oliver runned outside the ship, and runned directly to Nic. Oliver looked rather unpleased, and there was no doubt, that he had drinked. His walk are not very stabile, and his cheek had a little red colour.

"Do you know Captain, where my bacta spray is? It's netiher in my room nor the medbay"

Nic looked over at Impe, he could smell the alcohol before he even knew Impe was approaching him. "Impe we have a whole crate of them down there." Nic points at the Hanger Floor. "Look get some sleep, I'm sure it will turn up later."

Nic then turned to Jana "O.K, let's go meet Zeek, I hope he's in the cantina."

After ordering a small bit of "food", Ryshana decided to go sit down with the operative. "Well, it seems that I've caught your attention," Ryshana stated with a smile while sitting down at the table across from the operative. "Umm, e-excuse me??" he managed to stumble out while setting down the newspad. "Spare me the ignorance; you've been watching me since you got on board. And I must say that I've been finding it difficult not to watch you right back," she replied.

"W-what do you mean?"

"What do you think it means? You have a good build and a handsome face.."

"Well, that doesn't always mean anything..."

"Sure it does. Come on, you can't tell me that you don't work out every once in a while.."

"Well, uhh, yeah.."

"And you can't tell me that you're not watching me because that's what you've been assigned to do."

With the operative at a loss for words, Ryshana suddenly became very serious and continued, "So, let me clarify something for you: don't mess with me." Suddenly, she felt the ship drop out of hyperspace, and the intercom crackled to life. "This is your Captain speaking. We're stopping at Station A12- 76 for supplies. If you want some time to relax in the local cantina, then go right ahead. Just keep in mind that we'll be heading back out within 3 hours. That is all."

Concentrating on the operative, Ryshana looked at him straight in the eyes. "You never saw me," she stated. "I never saw you," he replied.

"You have absolutely no idea who I am."

"I have absolutely no idea who you are."

"Good," Ryshana stated quickly. Before the operative could repeat himself, Ryshana very quickly released a small amount of the Force against his head, knocking him out. To everyone else in the mess hall, it looked like he passed out. Getting up again, Ryshana went to entrance ramp to leave.

Heading for the cantina, Ryshana ordered a drink and sat down for a moment to collect herself.

"Fine Captain, i'm going to bed then". Oliver turns around, and going back to the ship, while he whistle an unknown song.

Suddenly hears a very happy shout: "I found it! It was under the...". Then there was totally silence.

1 miute later, Oliver goes to medbay, while carrying a little, black box with lots of bottles. On the box there stands: "Medical stuff".

When Jack was on a station or a planet and just suffered the nightmare he would head out to the cantina. Today was no different. He went to the local cantina and ordered the strongest drink he could have that wouldn't kill him or render him unconious. While in the hanger he noticed both his captain and the first-mate enter and a twi'lek enter. He didnt know why but she seem to catch his eye the most, he just had a strang feeling about her.

Nic and Jana Walked into the Cantina, He noticed that Jack had also walked in, Nic gave him a little wave although he knew Jack would not return the favor. Nic looked around the room nothing really caught his eye, there were a couple of rodians playing pazzack, a twi'lek sitting and having a drink on her own and all the average clientale to this kind of place.

Nic eventually saw a old grey haired and slightly obese human he was talking to a sullustian and smoking a Cigar. Nic and Jana walked up behind him and waited until the sullustian walked away. "you know those'll kill you." Nic said refering to the cigar.

"Look i don't need some..." He said as he turned around and saw Nic and Jana "we'll i'll be a rancors Aunty. Nic White."

"Hi Zeek, it's been a while." Nic said as Zeek turned to Jana.

"And if it isn't Jana aswell, So Nic when are you too going to get married?" Zeek asked

This comment shocked nic and it took him aback a little.

"Well..."

It wasnt often people heard Jack laugh but today was an expection. When he heard what the old man said, and the drink may of had something to do with it, he let out a small laugh. Jack was only sitting behind Zeek so he heard the converstion.

Cloud Strife sat in his room, pondering where Sephiroph, the soldier who killed the love of his life, Aerith Gainsborough, is. "When I find you, Sephiroth," thought Cloud. "I will make sure that you will suffer." Cloud's room was filled with some mechanic books, tool, various ship parts, some droid parts, some dueling wallpaper, a holo-tv, and a bed/couch combo. He kept a picture of Aerith under his pillow to remind himself of his goal: kill Sephiroth and and avenge Aerith's death. He kept having dreams of her death every night after she was killed. Cloud probably suspected some of the crew members seen him thrash in his sleep. He decided to go to the cantina and get some good Jawa Beer. He left his room and headed to the cantina.

zeek Laughed out loudly. "So what brings you two here anyway."

"We're looking for some work, Wondered if you got any going." Nic asked

Zeek thought for a few moments "this is your lucky day, I've got just the thing and it's legit, Pays real good to."

"sounds interesting, Tell me more."

"it's transporting Swoop bikes from alderann to nar shaddar."

"Alderanns a two day flight, We kind of need the creds a bit quicker than that."

"Hey, as i said the pay is real good and i heard you just brought in a load have weapons."

"yeah, but Jana here made me spend the money on upgrading the weapons. Apparantly we can't opporate with 20 year old weapons." Nic said doing a bad impression of Jana for the last part."O.k But its near impossible to get to alderann thiese days since Organas, Limited traffic around the planet."

"I have a contact in the port authority, It will be fine."

Nic thought about it for a second before nodding his head. "Alright, We'll do it."

"Good i'll set the wheels in motion." Zeek said as he walked away to his office. Nic turned back to Jana.

"This could be good, Alot of people are struggling to get to Alderaa. Let's take a few passengers with us. I'll inform the transport co-ordinator tell him have three rooms availible."

"Tell him I'll be here," Jana told Nic. "Have him send people to me. I'll screen them and decide if we want them or not. Let's try to fill up all three rooms, yeah?"

She approached the bartender and said, "Hey, listen. My name's Jana Vincent. If anyone comes in here asking for me, point them my way, ok?"

"Sure, sure," the bartender said dismissively. Jana nodded and found a seat backed up against a wall and sat. Based on experience, she never sat in an open area... to easy for people to sneak up behind you. She had a scar on the back of her neck hidden under her hair as proof of her lesson learned.

Nic Left the cantina and headed to the transport co-ordinators office...

10 minutes later Nic walked back into the Echo he had made the arrangements so any potential Passengers would go see Jana in the Cantina. He often lest Jana to do this as she was better with people than he was. He preferred to deal with the crooks he found them far more predictable than the 'Civilians'.

Nic walked up to the common room and sat at a table.

Just leaving the station’s gym, Beryl stretched her arms high over her head, clamped her fingers together, then tightened her grip while she rolled her shoulders forward until she heard the comforting ‘pop’ of her knuckles. “Ah, nothing like a good sparring match to get the blood pumpin’!”

As soon as they had docked on A12-76, Beryl had taken the opportunity to check out the station’s fitness facilities while the Echo’s cargo was unloaded. She liked keeping active, hated waiting around, and let’s face it, watching a bunch of idiot dock workers scratch their heads, and often their backsides at the same time, while they tried to figure out which crate to load or unload was like watching paint dry. Besides, where else on this station was she likely to meet a good-looking guy to spar with?

She checked her chronometer. There was probably still enough time for a quick drink and to win a few credits at cards. Too bad this station wasn’t big enough for a swoop track. High speed and the possibility of winning some credits? What could be better than that?

She headed off to the cantina.

“Uh-oh.” Jana was sitting at one of the tables, back against the wall, with a perfect view of the entire cantina. Beryl rubbed the bruises on her knuckles she had just earned from her latest sparring match. Jana didn’t approve much of fighting for fun. And Beryl could do without the ‘look’ right now.

She backed herself out the door and headed back to the ship. If Jana was alone in the cantina, that probably meant they would have a job soon. And quite possibly passengers. Yich! Passengers could be such a pain.

She found Nic in the common room. She smiled. Looks like there was an opportunity to get that drink and quite possibly some credits after all.

“I believe you still owe me fifty credits, chief,” she said, grinning mischievously as she plopped down unceremoniously in the chair opposite him. “Or, was it the other way around?”

Twenty minutes, one and a half drinks later, Jana was approached by her first potential customer.

"You're Jana Vincent?" the man asked. Jana nodded and leaned forward.

"And you are?"

"Anyone knows me calls me Buster," he said. Jana was not impressed.

"I take it that's not your name," she suggested. 'Buster' winced.

"No, it's not, but it'll do, right?" he asked hopefully. "I mean, all I'm looking for is passage to Alderaan. That's where you're headed, right?"

"Right," Jana said hesitantly, "but we like to be selective about our passengers. I'm sure you understand."

"Oh, sure," he sighed. "Fine. Name's Ubir Gayin."

"That's better," Jana said with a false smile. Ubir missed the fact that her smile was not genuine and relaxed.

"So I can go?" he asked.

"What's the reason you're wanting to go to Alderaan and can't use Empire transports?" Jana wondered. Ubir flinched.

"I... don't like crowds," he muttered. "Empire crams people in."

"That they do," Jana said in mock sympathy. "So here's what I'll do. I'm sure there are a lot of people interested in passage to Alderaan. If you leave me a way to contact you, I'll let you know if we pick you."

Ubir left a comm number with Jana and she rolled her eyes as she watched him go. A real 'stinker', she decided. She deleted his comm number from her datapad and ordered a third drink.

Cloud walks into the cantina and looks around. He sees stormtroopers pass by him. "Stormtroopers," Cloud thinks as they pass. "Ruthless and evil. The Rebel Alliance is doing the right thing and standing up to them." As Cloud walks in, a stormtrooper yells "Halt!" Cloud look back at the stormtrooper. "What do you want?" Cloud says to the buckethead. "I am making sure you're not with the Rebel scum." The stormtrooper tells Cloud. "Go ahead, Imperial. Check away. I'm not a Rebel." said Cloud. "Very well. Stand still." The Stormtrooper scans him and checks the database for his bio. "Hmm. An engineer/smuggler. Not a good combination. You are free to go for now." The stormtrooper walks away. Cloud then sits at a table and bets his glass of Jawa Beer.

Jana caught sight of Beryl's in/out manouver and also managed to see a few bruises. Though Beryl was no longer in sight, Jana gave the 'look' anyway. She'd have to talk to Beryl about this. Several minutes later, she watched Cloud and the Stormtroopers. She overheard a little of their conversation and decided she'd have to warn Cloud about being rude to the current military force.

"Miss Jana Vincent?" someone said, breaking into her thoughts. She focused on the man and almost immediately decided she didn't want him boarding the Echo.

"That's me," she said, eyeing his Alderaan Police uniform.

"I can't help noticing you seem to be quite taken with my uniform," he said. "A problem?"

"No problems," Jana answered, smiling at him and making a concentrated effort to stop staring at his uniform. "It makes sense, you wanting to go to Alderaan, but why not on an Empire transport?"

"Circumstances won't allow it," he answered. "Forgive me. I'm Captain Elliott Wade, Alderaan Police."

"Circumstances?" Jana wanted to know.

"Circumstances I cannot speak of," Wade answered evasively. Jana smiled. She knew what that meant.

"We've carried passengers like you before," Jana told him. "You've got a 'friend' with you."

"You have worked with people like me before, haven't you?" Wade asked, relaxing a little. "Yes, there is the little matter of a 'friend'." He leaned in closer. "Wanted by the Empire, but Alderaan Police want him bad enough we'll deal with people like yourself to keep him out of their hands."

Jana's smile faded and Wade realized his mistake.

"I didn't mean..." he stammered. Jana's smile returned.

"I know what you meant," she told him. "We'll reserve two rooms, one for you, one for your 'friend'."

He began to stand, but she pulled him back down. "Your 'friend' gets loose on our boat..." She left the threat unfinished and gave him their assumed departure time.

"Get there at that time and we'll be leaving shortly after, ok?"

"We'll be there," he promised hastily. Jana nodded and watched him leave. Two rooms filled, one to go.

Archived