Home

Graphics Cards

Darth Groovy

Please list some good graphics/video cards for the pc. List both NVidia AND ATI, but please do not turn my thread into a battle of the graphics cards.

I'm looking to get a new tower with my income tax, and I want something more pc gamer freindly. I want something that will play games like Half Life 2, Battlefield 2, and FEAR. My compy is coming up on it's 4 year anniversary, and a new tower is necessary. I pretty much know what I want under the hood, EXCEPT which graphics card. I want to start shopping and pricing before I get anything.

Thanks in advance,

Grooves

well for half-life, look on ati card boxes and they say like preferred graphics for half-life(which are usually the x700's and x800's) theres also the new x1800 xt...dunno wut ur budget is...don't get all-in-wonder cards.

for nvidia, maybe the 6800 ultra or the 7800 gtx (dual 6800 ultras dont make much difference between the 7800 gtx)

get PCI. better to get 512 mb.

hope that helps.

6800GS 256mb? I've been thinking about getting one myself in a month if I'm lucky.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130002&ATT=14-130-002&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

So, in the space of less than a year, you will have upgraded from an FX5700 to a 6600GT to a 6800GS?

Hardly seems practical.

EDIT: If you're upgrading, just mail your 6600GT to Grooves :p

I say...if you don't know then just go to Dell.com and customize a Dell XPS and get the bes graphics card that you can get.

I have no idea who you are, but you deserve... horrible things.

ATI's X1000 series has Shader model 3.0, finally. Just browsing Newegg and reading reviews will effectively teach you invaluable things about computer hardware. ATi has the best budget cards. This is not a fanboy statement, it is a fact. NVIDIA dominates the high-end market, but for value, ATi has some pretty rivalling cards. NVIDIA has next to nothing decent under 200 dollars.

Oh, and that requires a minimum of 350W PSU.

ATi rocks for power. Their cards use less and less power as they advance, they are starting to phase out the use for the power connector as fast as it came in. NVIDIA needs a nuclear reactor to keep their card sufficiently happy.

It's pretty much for mainstream and HTPC (Home theatre PC) crowd.

Yeah avoid the 7300 series, they dont look too good. And only has 4 pipelines if im not mistaken. You're better off with 8 or more. The 6800GS is a good choice, although you might want to wait for the new GeForce 7800GS to be released before making your final decsion. But if you cant wait any longer, go for the 6800GS. You shouldnt go wrong with it either.

I haven't used the video-in/video-out yet, myself. But, once you see it run HD process, you know it can handle any multi-media process.

If you're refering to the S-Video-type connector, then it sucks, unless of course you're powering a 13" monitor at 640x480. In terms of a HTPC that you use for HD, you should be using DVI-D anyways.

Also, you have to give Dell credit for this. ;)

If you're refering to the S-Video-type connector, then it sucks, unless of course you're powering a 13" monitor at 640x480. In terms of a HTPC that you use for HD, you should be using DVI-D anyways.

Also, you have to give Dell credit for this. ;)

Right, but how long would it take for the eye blood to drown you from sitting less than a foot away from the screen?

Archived