Home

Does ROTS have a few too many coincidences?

Nancy Allen``

I can accept that C3PO was a droid young Annakin had built and later he joins up with Luke, that Yoda was established as the greatest Jedi of all time, ect, but there are a few things that are a little hard to swallow. Such as, Yoda just happening to fight alongside Chewbacca on Kashyyk, or 3PO and R2 just happening to be placed in the care of a 'General Antellis.' Has anyone else picked up on these? Do they bother you as well, or is it just me?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Captain Antilles, and 3PO mentions in ANH that their last master was Captian Antilles (no relation to the better-known starfighter pilot). I do agree that the whole prequel trilogy is far too saturated with references to the OT to be even remotely plausible.

jeez are you people slow?

Nice.

But I agree with the rest of your post only because it's a blatant fact we all know.

I always thought that the C3PO thing was a coincidence but I guess Lucas has said it's told from the point of view of the two droids so perhaps it was necessary.

Yoda and Chewie is a small coincidence, because of the fact that he and Chewbacca never meet in the OT.

Captain Antillies, absolutely no coincidence there, C3PO states that he was their previous master in ANH and at the end of ROTS we see when he aquires the droids, makes sense.

Lucas probably just wanted to see if he could top himself with all the coincidences he already put into the first trilogy (especially the last two movies, and especially Jedi).

I guess you could try to explain it all thematically as "the will of the force" moving the pieces into position for the final endgame, etc.

On the other hand, all the continuity problems to me suggest that Lucas spent all his time making up ideas and making sure the new FX shots looked the best. He probably figured his multi-million dollar book/comic franchise could catch anything he missed (and how they try!). ;)

It seems he wanted to just free himself of any constraints and then not worry if the pieces didn't quite fit. Then the agonizing (for us old timer fans) process of re-creating the original movies to match this new precedent (we figure he did it backwards). Oh well!

But yeah, concidence on top of coincidence. That's Star Wars for ya.... ;)

I'm totally with Kurgan. I felt the same way.

Most of it I let slide. The only thing that really bothered me was having Chewbacca in ROTS. He's made out to be an important Wookie. Just having the Wookie planet was enough for me to know his roots but having him actually in a position beyond just a normal warrior was too much. Created more questions than answers.

Yes... But it doesn't keep me awake at night.

:joy:

For all of Lucas' talk about SW being an update of old Flash Gordon/ Buck Rodgers sci-fi serials,.. it seems in actuality far, far closer to the Arthurian legends, where everybody's lives were hopelessly entwined.

He obviously painted himself into a corner, having to make the story thread he concocted with Ep. 1 match with the ending part of the series he already wrote, and was forced to fuse them together. Somewhat gracelessly, in places.

It answered questions, Trouble. Now we know who Chewbacca was, he wasn't a "normal warrior" (what ever gave you that idea), he was very high up.

Yes he was definately very high up. See Tarful was one of the Wookafarians (note the dreads) and they were known to share the ganja. Chewie wasn't really of great rank, he just smoked a bowl now and then with ol' Tarf while they listened to some reggae music. Yoda of course supplied them with some of the finest green (he IS green after all) whenever he came to visit. Yoda's robe is even made of pure hemp (when he lost it, it totally demoralized him, remember?). He's always been a great fan of the root leaf. It helps explain the crazy stories and bad memory too!

Yes he was definately very high up. See Tarful was one of the Wookafarians (note the dreads) and they were known to share the ganja. Chewie wasn't really of great rank, he just smoked a bowl now and then with ol' Tarf while they listened to some reggae music. Yoda of course supplied them with some of the finest green (he IS green after all) whenever he came to visit. Yoda's robe is even made of pure hemp (when he lost it, it totally demoralized him, remember?). He's always been a great fan of the root leaf. It helps explain the crazy stories and bad memory too!

lol, Irie.

• 3 weeks later...

Now what were talking about again?

Oh yeah...

Hey! I am amongst the most devoted fans to the films, and I'm not sure that I've ever heard anything that alludes to Chewie being of ANY rank. I can assess that there's a reason WHY he's not infantry, but Lucas himself confessed that Chewbacca is in fact the RUNT of his litter, and-- as we can now see in Episode III-- amongst OTHER Wookies as well. HE's really NOT a warrior type, despite the impressions we may have had of him all these years. He's technically brilliant, perhaps, and COULD even have been a bit of a tactician. This might have given him rank (again, which I don't know anything about). Regardless... Yoda spoke of having good personal relations with the Wookies, and-- considering Yoda's stature-- I'd bet that those relations were with high-ranking Wookie officials. So if it's KNOWN that Chewie was of rank, then-- to me, anyways-- it only seems RIGHT that Yoda might know of him... not wierd, not coincidental, nor hard-to-swallow.

3-PO being made by little Anakin... Now THAT's just kinda cute, I suppose... It makes things a bit more intimate, and REALLY pulls for suspention of disbelief.

Not to get all wierd on you, now, but in all actuality, I simply cannot deny the immense degree of SYNCHRONICITIES in my life on a very regular, FREAKISHLY common basis. I can assure you that if anyone were to be mindful of such things in thier own life-- and I mean adopting a state of awareness and receptivity to such things throughout the day-- that they would be astounded as well at such "coincidences". It utterly astounds me to see such things that I cannot explain, but they're a part of our lives, and we rarely pay any attention to them, oftentimes ignoring or deliberately disregarding them as too freaky to really take seriously.

"Your focus determines your reality."

............................................................Qui Gonn Jinn, Episode I

"Our meeting is not a coincidence. Nothing happens by accident."

............................................................Qui Gonn Jinn, Episode I

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

............................................................Obi Wan Kenobi, Episode IV

Once again, I completely see what Kurgan sees.

"Your insight serves you well."

............................................................Obi Wan Kenobi, Episode VI

Hey! I am amongst the most devoted fans to the films, and I'm not sure that I've ever heard anything that alludes to Chewie being of ANY rank. I can assess that there's a reason WHY he's not infantry, but Lucas himself confessed that Chewbacca is in fact the RUNT of his litter, and-- as we can now see in Episode III-- amongst OTHER Wookies as well. HE's really NOT a warrior type, despite the impressions we may have had of him all these years. He's technically brilliant, perhaps, and COULD even have been a bit of a tactician. This might have given him rank (again, which I don't know anything about). Regardless... Yoda spoke of having good personal relations with the Wookies, and-- considering Yoda's stature-- I'd bet that those relations were with high-ranking Wookie officials. So if it's KNOWN that Chewie was of rank, then-- to me, anyways-- it only seems RIGHT that Yoda might know of him... not wierd, not coincidental, nor hard-to-swallow.

Databank states that Chewbacca was a member of the Wookiee High Command.

I can buy the coincidences in ROTS; after all, it is explaining what went on before. Of course, you are going to see people and events you know about being mentioned. I think the PT handled them better than the OT. I remember thinking ROTJ was way too contrived: Darth Vader just happens to be Luke's father; Leia just happens to be Luke's twin sister; and the worst of all, the Empire just happens to be building a second Death Star!

I can buy the coincidences in ROTS; after all, it is explaining what went on before. Of course, you are going to see people and events you know about being mentioned. I think the PT handled them better than the OT. I remember thinking ROTJ was way too contrived: Darth Vader just happens to be Luke's father; Leia just happens to be Luke's twin sister; and the worst of all, the Empire just happens to be building a second Death Star!

Correction: Luke being Vader's father was introduced in ESB. ;)[Edit: strike that, reverse it] Let's just say the PT builds on the coincidences and contrivances of the OT and makes them even more crazy!

Correction: Luke being Vader's father was introduced in ESB. ;)

Okay, if you're going to nitpick about tiny details, get the details straight. Vader is Luke's father. In case I have to spell it out completely so you can understand, I was meaning that the details about it were told in ROTJ. Yes, the revelation is made in ESB, but the confirmation comes in ROTJ.

Okay, if you're going to nitpick about tiny details, get the details straight. Vader is Luke's father. In case I have to spell it out completely so you can understand, I was meaning that the details about it were told in ROTJ. Yes, the revelation is made in ESB, but the confirmation comes in ROTJ.

My bad for the typo, quite humorous of course. ;)

Anyway, no need to get upset about it, but let's face it, ROTJ didn't introduce the contrivance, ESB did, so you can't blame that on ROTJ.

Should ROTJ just have ignored the fact? Or should have Obi-Wan just said to Luke "well, the guy was lying, obviously, just forget about it."

I'd say the "big reveal" in ESB was not just a "tiny detail" merely it was the bombshell that was expanded upon in the next movie. So if you're going to use the "Vader is Luke's father" thing against ROTJ, it's really not fair, since ESB was the one that created it in the first place (contradicting ANH and making Ben into a liar). Blame ESB for making Obi-Wan a liar, ROTJ just gives us Obi-Wan's rationalization for the lies he told Luke in ANH.

My bad for the typo, quite humorous of course. ;)

Anyway, no need to get upset about it, but let's face it, ROTJ didn't introduce the contrivance, ESB did, so you can't blame that on ROTJ.

Should ROTJ just have ignored the fact? Or should have Obi-Wan just said to Luke "well, the guy was lying, obviously, just forget about it."

I'd say the "big reveal" in ESB was not just a "tiny detail" merely it was the bombshell that was expanded upon in the next movie. So if you're going to use the "Vader is Luke's father" thing against ROTJ, it's really not fair, since ESB was the one that created it in the first place (contradicting ANH and making Ben into a liar). Blame ESB for making Obi-Wan a liar, ROTJ just gives us Obi-Wan's rationalization for the lies he told Luke in ANH.

Archived