Home

PC Voices

Venom750

I can safely say that, after the first couple of runthroughs, I cycle through the dialog pretty quickly in any case, and I think basing the have or don't have arguement on whether a player will listen to the entirety of what's said every playthrough is sophistry.

I'd like to see voice for PC follow the click to say pattern. I don't believe it would be disruptive that way. I'd think the LEAST we should have would be the K1 system.

Personally, I'd prefer it if they kept the formula they have established for the entire series, plus I like to imagine how my character's voicing the lines, otherwise I'd hear it not in the way that I would have imagined my char. expressing it...

With the way it is - I can imagine myself playing out a role much more convinvingly, like I'm there, or that this char. really is a creation of my own, then hearing someone elses pre-recorded voice, no matter how much I may like it.

I totally agree. I like imagining what he/she sounds like, and how he/she sounds...

The problem with voices is how the actor says a line. If they say a threatening line with malice and a "dont mess with me" voice it distracts from my character who would say the same line but subtly so that its quiet and far more violent because its said gently. Its the differene between Palpatine and Vader. Palpy was manipulative SOB and Vader was a hands on bully.

That and frankly even if there was 10 choices of voice for male and female I doubt any would fit my character and how I see them.

If they say a threatening line with malice and a "dont mess with me" voice it distracts from my character who would say the same line but subtly so that its quiet and far more violent because its said gently. Its the differene between Palpatine and Vader.

The problem with that line of thought is that the response to the line would be set by the same people who'd have set the tone of the line, whereas the response to the same words delivered in two completely different "tones" would vary considerably. For instance, if the writers decided that a line was delivered with forcefulness and you decided the line was delivered with quiet menace, the response from the NPC would still be something like "hey, simmer down, no need to shout!" Which, while in perfect keeping with a line delivered forcefully, would be completely at odds with the same line delivered with quiet menace. IOW, it would be disruptive.

If they say a threatening line with malice and a "dont mess with me" voice it distracts from my character who would say the same line but subtly so that its quiet and far more violent because its said gently. Its the differene between Palpatine and Vader.

The problem with that line of thought is that the response to the line would be set by the same people who'd have set the tone of the line, whereas the response to the same words delivered in two completely different "tones" would vary considerably. For instance, if the writers decided that a line was delivered with forcefulness and you decided the line was delivered with quiet menace, the response from the NPC would still be something like "hey, simmer down, no need to shout!" Which, while in perfect keeping with a line delivered forcefully, would be completely at odds with the same line delivered with quiet menace. IOW, it would be disruptive.

Completely disruptive, which is why I would hate to have a voice for my characters, and having the voice sound just like the writer wanted it to sound like doesnt always fit with who is playing the character. And as the writers arent playing my game I have the final say of how my character would say a line.

Completely disruptive, which is why I would hate to have a voice for my characters, and having the voice sound just like the writer wanted it to sound like doesnt always fit with who is playing the character. And as the writers arent playing my game I have the final say of how my character would say a line.

Erm... so your take is that there should be NO voices in the game? Because, if the NPCs have voices, they're going to be responding to the PC's lines as though they'd been delivered in the tone and with the inflection the writers intended.

Erm... so your take is that there should be NO voices in the game? Because, if the NPCs have voices, they're going to be responding to the PC's lines as though they'd been delivered in the tone and with the inflection the writers intended.

No, as I actually said, and you completely ignored, is the person playing the game decides how their character speaks a line. Their character. Not every character in the game. Please take a note of what I write next time and actually respond to that rather then coming up with a idea that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

I know I personally am going to react the same way if someone tells me to shut up in either a soft tone that extrudes anger by the way it is said or if growled at me roughly by someone. And I bet you would to, if I threatened to rip your heart out and feed it to you in a soft menacing voice you would not likely react if Prime yelled it at you and pointed his finger at you. Your reaction, and thus the NPC's reaction is likely to be the same no matter how the line is said.

The NPCs who are controled by the writers, and to a greater extent who ever is recording the voice overs for the game, means they can decide how the NON-player-character reacts to the line, my darkside characters on the other hand are more of the conniving smart non loser type of evil who, like I said, would say a line in such a way to suggest s/he didnt just mean what s/he said but would follow through without hesitation. Being forced to listen to a dumb brute type of voice ranting like a child would distract from my game and would annoy the crap out of me.

I dont mind the things like in K1 "now you see me, now you dont" style things worked fine. I and many others would have no problem with that. But my character is MY character and reacts to situations in ways I decide, not the writers or voice actors.

@jackal;

Interestingly enough, I did read your post and I did respond to what you had written. I simply thought it was based upon a completely unfounded concept. I have now reread your original post and your diatribe following my response. I have studied both, and still maintain that your contention is utter bollux. While you can no doubt cherry-pick certain statements that would garner a similar response no matter how they were couched, you can find just as many that simply won't.

Take the simple statement "I need you." Shout it and you get one response, whisper it and, while the basic idea might remain the same (or might not), the response is typically different.

Place emphasis on different words, and you change the meaning subtly.

"I need you." "I need you." I need you."

Now say it sarcastically, and the meaning behind it changes completely, thus requiring a completely different response.

Oh, and calm down, you'll give yourself a stroke!

Personally, I'd prefer it if they kept the formula they have established for the entire series, plus I like to imagine how my character's voicing the lines, otherwise I'd hear it not in the way that I would have imagined my char. expressing it...

With the way it is - I can imagine myself playing out a role much more convinvingly, like I'm there, or that this char. really is a creation of my own, then hearing someone elses pre-recorded voice, no matter how much I may like it.

Like The phantom menace

Archived