Home

Why does the computer want to lose?

Lord Pickle

I got EaW the day it came out and I have been playing single player exclusively and a have to say the A.I. is pretty damn weak.

Why is it that in galactic conquest the computer will attack and conquer a system then sit back and stop?

It doesn't try to push deeper into my territory. All I need to do is to build up my forces and hit his weak planets. In the time that it takes the computer to try and take another planet I can usually take three or four of his. The A.I. seems incapable of attacking multiple planets in quick succession. So it becomes a case of building up my fleets and ground forces then pushing through the entire galaxy with only one major land and space fleet.

It’s even easier as the Empire if I set it to level 5 since as soon as I get the Death Star its basically impossible for the computer to destroy it in the 90 seconds before I can blow up the planet. Then I just go from planet to planet just annihilating any Rebel bases.

I even set the game to only level one but the same problem the A.I. seems content to take a planet then "rest" for a while. Plus as the Rebels the Imps seem hard pressed to stop my raid parties which usually consist of 3 airspeeders. Hopefully multiplayer doesn’t let me down.

MP surely won't let you down ;)

Now, the problems with AI you mention are already known (if you make a quick search you'll find plenty of threads about it). The main complaints/facts are that the AI will not attack planets with space station at Tech 3 and above and it willl make fleets consisted (only) from Tech 2 ships, meaning corvettes etc.

Since we have not access to LUA scripts that describe the behaviour of AI, what we currently do is to find alternative ways to make it be more aggressive, cheat more and make bigger fleets. EaW:TR will hopefully offer a more challenging AI in v2.1.

I just got the game today and my first impressions of the AI are not very good. I at first had it set on medium because I didn't know how hard it would be, and I easily beat the computer in the rebel campaign's first few levels. But it's still fun I think :D

Archived