Home

Better Guns?

Darth Greg

Now, before I get started, let me just say that I know what your all thinking, what's the point of realistic guns in a game where you just end up as a ultra bullet proof jedi master anyway, right? While this idea would seem, on the surface at least, to be correct, ranged weapons could be greatly improved. Let's face it guys, the guns (blasters, ranged weapons, w/e lol) in the KOTOR series are next to totally useless. Their sooo damn useless that I personally make a point of giving every non-jedi member of my party a melee weapon as a matter of course. And yes, that includes Carth and Atton. They just in general fire too slowly, have too little range, do too little damage, and have some of the worst accuracy issues that I have ever seen in a game. Now I'm not talking about turning KOTOR into Halo here, so bear with me. :nut: My wish list for ranged combat in KOTOR 3 would simply include the following:

1.That the range and damage of ranged weapons be doubled, so that non-jedi charecters wouldn't have to run up within 10 feet of each other just in order to attack, and then to have to wail on each other for like 5 minutes just to get a kill. *cough* *cough* Battle of Koonda *cough* *cough* In addition, this would make heavy armour and energy shields required attire for melee charecters.

2.That ranged charecters maybe move around a little bit while firing, and that ranged combat be in real time. I realize that this last one would probably be extremely hard to implement, so I'd be happy enough with first one. :xp:

I dunno...the only ranged weapon(s) I would even touch in my TSL game were a pair of heavily uped Mandalorian Rippers, and that was only because they looked cool. :xp: I don't think any ranged weapon in either game aproaches the damage potential of say...a Trandoshan or Sith War Sword. Ranged charecters also tend to be forced into melee situations way too easily due to their limited range, which really limits their overall effectiveness as support troops. The close combat feats of TSL were a nice touch, but still not quite enough in my opinion. lol

Apparently you never equipped Mira or Atton with dual mandalorian disintegrators. My Jedi never got any action because the enemy would drop 10 feet from the party from blaster fire. OF course the weapons were upgraded to the hilt, they had all the blaster feats, etc, etc. I got around the problem (for the most part) by not dual-wielding any of my characters.

Certainly, the PC's party members can become fairly powerful with ranged weapons, but they still never quite compare to party members who specialize in melee combat. I remember that I once got Mira, the Handmaiden, and Canderous to such a high level with two hand weapon fighting and flurry that I had leave them on the Ebon Hawk, because my Jedi wasn't getting any action. :xp:

Certainly, the PC's party members can become fairly powerful with ranged weapons, but they still never quite compare to party members who specialize in melee combat. I remember that I once got Mira, the Handmaiden, and Canderous to such a high level with two hand weapon fighting and flurry that I had leave them on the Ebon Hawk, because my Jedi wasn't getting any action. :xp:

I was responding to this part specifically:

Ranged charecters also tend to be forced into melee situations way to easily due to their limited range, which really limits their overall effectiveness as support troops.
I think my point stands.

I'm sure that there are some melee weapons that are on par (or better) with the more powerful blasters, however there's not too much risk from a melee opponent if he/she/it is dead before it even gets close to you. At that point you have to consider the blaster wielding NPC with almost 0 chance of getting hit compared to the melee wielding NPC that had to go toe-to-toe in order to do damage.

I love that OE wanted to correct how under-powered ranged weapons were in KotOR, however I think the pendulum may have swung too far the other way in this case. Not by much, but just enough to make it overkill (IMHO).

Well particually in KotOR, I find that if I give Carth all three two-weapons feats, plus all power blast feats and equip him with Casus Fett's blaster and the Sith Assassain pistol from Saul Karath, then he is extremely powerful.

I mean, last time I played I actually took him with me onto the Star Forge, where he could bring down Dark Side in around two shots with no cheats or mods.

I love that OE wanted to correct how under-powered ranged weapons were in KotOR, however I think the pendulum may have swung too far the other way in this case. Not by much, but just enough to make it overkill (IMHO).

All the weapons in TSL could be upgraded to overkill. About the only thing that wasn't overkill was a plasma torch. :)

I loved that ranged weapons were better in TSL also.

Well then I don't know what to tell you. I found guns to be more than adequate.

I have to agree. In KOTOR if you give the master gun feats to the characters with guns they do quiet well. I remember playing KOTOR and me running towards the randm sand people warriors only to see them gun downed by Carth and Mission.

Also in TSL the guns I would say are even better, all the different upgradable stuff you can put on them and the gun feat that keeps adding +1 modifiers and gives a negative something if someone tries to block or deflect it, I'm going to play through TSL with just guns one time, something new and different and can be achieved.

There's a little upgrade in the energy cell category that, at the first level adds 1-6 damage. The next level adds 2-12, then the one after that adds 2-20, and the final one adds 2-24. Duel wield pistols with that upgrade and it feels like cheating. I think the guns are good enough. ;)

Archived