Home

My thoughts on MI4..

Ben31

Wow, mucho arguments while I've been away.

Well, I still stick by my "I love COMI" creedo because frankly, I didn't like MI4 as much. With COMI, the characters, places and artistry was rich and developed, a lot of love was put into the game and it shows through. MI4 isn't without it's charms, I did find myself laughing in parts and I have played it more than twice, but I think, simply the amount of stuff you can do on COMI that has nothing to do with completion of the game is great and while MI4 does have this element, not in such vast quantities.

I also like the fact that almost right from the start you have a clear cut goal, that may get fragmented as the game goes on, but it's still there. MI1 had this, even if it changed halfway through the game, by that time you cared enough to let it change, and MI2 also had a clear cut goal from the beginning. And they're all great goals, stuff you can really root for. In MI1, it was the whole "I wanna be a pirate" thing, and who didn't want to be a pirate when playing this game? On MI2, it was a treasure hunt, but a huge one, which is just hugely entertaining. MI3, it was the save the girl from the curse.

But then came EMI, first goal, find deeds to the house... um what? I thought this was a pirate game. It goes on from there to australian land developers and judicial systems. It does finally get onto the ultimate insult, but you only start looking for that on the second disc, giving you a full half of the game doing trivial little things one after another with no higher purpose in mind. I found myself playing it through just so I could play it through. I'm not saying it was a horrible game, as I've said many times before, on its own, it could be classed as a hugely decent adventure game, but I'd definately say it's the weakest in the series.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not? I'm serious. A Monkey Island game is in my opinion not connected to the characters per se, but to the quality of the characters. If you get the piratey theme, the Caribbean setting, that certain humor... that's Monkey Island!

Like i said - "There are certain things that makes the game what it is and to take any of those elements out will rapidly lower it's appeal with Monkey Island fans."

MI's humour, the setting, the pirate theme are all key to the game. But with just them, they are merely a fun pirate game. You need things to relate to the other games and the characters does that. When your playing and you enter a new screen and suddenly your jaw drops at the sight of one of your most loved characters from earlier games.

You see that's where I disagree. And your insistance just played into my hands.

Did EMI have a lot of characters from previous games? Yes, certainly. Elaine, Herman, LeChuck, Carla, Otis, Jojo (kinda), Murray, Voodoo Lady...

Did the fans feel it was a worthy part of the series? No.

They missed a lot of the stuff that was just there in the other games. You can't throw all the stuff that has already been in there into a new game and expect it to be as much as the others. EMI had no mojo. It was what suits do when they want money. Milk the franchise. But they often forget this one ingredient that Neill nailed in his post: Love.

You can tell the developers to make a Monkey Island game. They can look at the art style and try to translate it to 3D (because 3D is so hip). Take old characters and put them there. Take the references to modern life and bloat them up very crudely. If they are just using formulas there will be something important missing.

To follow on from Alien, take a look at MI2, Elaine and Herman were both in the game for very short amounts of time, each playing their part and then dissapearing until needed again. As far as I can tell, those were the only chararcters "re-used" from the first game (oh, okay, and LeChuck, but he's a given, just like Guybrush is) and MI2 still stands as most fans favorite out of the entire series.

Yes, it was nice to see old characters in MI4, but I found it a lot more fun meeting all the new characters in MI3 than "catching up" with old characters in MI4. In a sense, it made MI3 that much more accessible to people who'd never played an MI game (the amount of times people have come here saying they played COMI and absolutely loved it, "now where can I get my hands on the first 2?") as they don't need a whole load of prior knowledge of the previous games just so they can enjoy it as much.

Originally Posted by Ray G. Jones

5 years between the release of the first two games and the third oneOriginally

Posted by Largo LaGrande

Actually Ray it was 6 years between the release of the first two games

You should probably learn to be more precise in what you say. Just so you don't come across like a total dimwit, dongma?

Alien I was being precise by explaining to ray it was actually 6 years between the first 2 games and Monkey Island 3.

Um, even if what Largo LaGrande said wasn't the clearest of statements, i was still easily able to distinguish what he really meant. I'm sure i'm not alone..

Alien all you seem to do around here most of the time is read what people say then call them some silly names and then go on a hypothetical and contradictive rant.

Ben31 easily understood what I said.

Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande

I did say if MI3 is your favourite game in the series you wont like what I say about MI3 if you do not want read what I think of MI3 then dont read.

So that means when you say something and put a disclaimer in there that some may not like it, those people are automatically not qualified to comment on it? Not even are allowed to read it? You write bullshít and I have every right to expose it.

There you go again Alien you briefly read what I have said just like you do with most of us around here and there is no need to swear.

I said what I said in the above quote for the benefit of those who actually read it and also for those who MI3 is there favourite game. Because I was going to say negative things about MI3 to explain why I think it was the worst MI game. I did not say they could not read it.

I could be perfectly happy with any game that played and looked as good as CMI without saying anything about the previous games. I'd be happy even if there were no regular characters like Elaine, Herman, the 3 pirates, LeChuck at all.

Yea we pretty much gather that, would it be wrong to call you simple.

Why not? I'm serious. A Monkey Island game is in my opinion not connected to the characters per se, but to the quality of the characters. If you get the piratey theme, the Caribbean setting, that certain humor... that's Monkey Island!

I can't call myself a fan? I do call myself an enlightened MI fan. One who looks beyond the outside and recognizes the quality of the first 3 parts, just like a lot of other people here (counting_pine for example).

It is very clear your not a true Monkey Island Fan from your first word to your last for example if it’s a game that has Pirates a story with a beginning and an end and has Monkey Island written on the box for it is Monkey Island and your happy.

Maybe my getting rid of Guybrush goes a little far, but I think CMI showed pretty well, that you can get away from previously introduced characters and make it a good MI game. Elaine had little else to do than stand as a golden statue for most of the game, LeChuck came in pretty late. But the new characters in CMI just worked. They were likable and had depth and did fit in the MI setting

I Just think about them: Haggis, Edward, Bill, Murray (a very popular character), Kenny (great music!), Madame Xima, Capt. Rottingham...

Murray is not a new character he has been in all the Monkey Island games

In EMI the first new character that comes to mind is that obnoxious Pegnose Pete, then Ozzie. Beyond that? Not much at all.

There was lots of new and excellent characters in MI4 the

Starbuccaneer's Clerk, Deadeye Dave, Salty the Bait Shop Owner, Planet Threepwood Waitress, the teacher at pirate school, Manatee Operator.

To follow on from Alien, take a look at MI2, Elaine and Herman were both in the game for very short amounts of time, each playing their part and then dissapearing until needed again. As far as I can tell, those were the only chararcters "re-used" from the first game (oh, okay, and LeChuck, but he's a given, just like Guybrush is) and MI2 still stands as most fans favorite out of the entire series.

Yes, it was nice to see old characters in MI4, but I found it a lot more fun meeting all the new characters in MI3 than "catching up" with old characters in MI4. In a sense, it made MI3 that much more accessible to people who'd never played an MI game (the amount of times people have come here saying they played COMI and absolutely loved it, "now where can I get my hands on the first 2?") as they don't need a whole load of prior knowledge of the previous games just so they can enjoy it as much.

Thats right Joshi Elaine and Herman were both in MI2 for a very short amount of time but then did appear in MI2 they had a great impact. MI2 was for me the greatest game In the MI series for its excellent story its characters its puzzles, its magical graphics, music and sounds and it was atmospheric. It was also free roaming I could talk to wally for hours and then go to the bloody lip. Only MI1 and MI2 have all these qualitys MI4 has most of them so i enjoyed it.For me MI3 has few of these qualitys which is why I dont like it as much as the others.

A Monkey Island game is in my opinion not connected to the characters per se, but to the quality of the characters. If you get the piratey theme, the Caribbean setting, that certain humor... that's Monkey Island!

It is very clear you're not a true Monkey Island Fan from your first word to your last. For example if it’s a game that has Pirates, a story with a beginning and an end, and has Monkey Island written on the box, it is Monkey Island and you're happy.

Alien talks about the characters, the theme, the setting and "that certain humor..." I agree that these are important qualities in a Monkey Island game. I also think it's fair to say that this list of qualities can't just be summarised as pirates, a story and the Monkey Island branding.

Also, forgive me if this is taking what you've said out of context:

I did say if MI3 is your favourite game in the series you wont like what I say about MI3 if you do not want read what I think of MI3 then dont read.

I did not say they could not read it.

This seems to be a contradiction.

You're going to have to point out to me where he was in the first two games, because I can't for the life of me remember where he was. I know there was a skeleton ghost pirate in MI1, but his name was Bob.

There was lots of new and excellent characters in MI4 the

Starbuccaneer's Clerk, Deadeye Dave, Salty the Bait Shop Owner, Planet Threepwood Waitress, the teacher at pirate school, Manatee Operator.

The only interesting character I can remember from that list is the teacher. I don't think any of the rest of those characters was anything to write home about. Also, the character of the Starbuccaneer's clerk was taken entirely from the Simpsons.

I was hoping I would be the one to catch him saying that murray was in every game. He debuted in MI:3, and was given a horrible casting in MI:4. It was like they finished the game and forgot to put Murray in so they just made him a bouncer to a building you could never get into. Oh, and because they were running out of time, they only made him with 3 polygons.

Alien I was being precise by explaining to ray it was actually 6 years between the first 2 games and Monkey Island 3.

No, that's not what you said. By ommitting CMI you completely altered the sentences meaning.

...then call them some silly names...

Like what?

...there is no need to swear...

'Bullshít' is a swear word? Grow up.

If only you would put more emphasis on mastering the English language and less time on obsessing about 'bad words'...

It is very clear your not a true Monkey Island Fan from your first word to your last for example if it’s a game that has Pirates a story with a beginning and an end and has Monkey Island written on the box for it is Monkey Island and your happy.

You just don't get it. So I won't bother to explain again.

No.

There was lots of new and excellent characters in MI4

Out of all the characters you mentioned I couldn't remember the look or voice of a single one. Maybe it's me or maybe the characters are just not so memorable.

*cough*

I'd really like to point out that I *never* said there were 5 years between the 2nd and the 3rd Monkey Island game.

In fact I said: "The graphics and thus the drawing style are, of course, noticeable different to MI1 and MI2, but what exactly did you expect with like 5 years between the release of the first two games and the third one?"

Let's focus on the important part of this sentence: "... what exactly did you expect with like 5 years between the release of the first two games and the third one?"

Not getting it yet? Well: "... what exactly did you expect with like 5 years between the release of the first two games and the third one?"

Still no clue? Then maybe you should actually look at the monitor: "... with like 5 years between the release ..."

For the most improbable case that I was talking gibberish, as I usually do, let me explain: I was not trying to say how many years there were exactly between the releases of the two games, but rather trying to focus on the technical development of computer hardware due to the time that has passed by within that ..err.. time? And to get there and because I didn't knew how long it was exactly, also, it really wouldn't matter in that case, I used an approximate value I made up from what I remember.

Okay. Now, and just for the record, let me rephrase:

[...]The graphics and thus the drawing style are, of course, noticeable different to MI1 and MI2, but what exactly did you expect with like, hmmm.. I don't really know, maybe it was 5 years, but even if it'd've been 10 or only 4 years, it'd make no difference, because computers would've been more advanced anyways, so let's say 5 years between the release of the first two games and the third one?[...]

Ya mon. XD

The graphics and thus the drawing style are, of course, noticeable different to MI1 and MI2, but what exactly did you expect with like 5 years between the release of the first two games and the third one

if QUOTE]

Ray dude I am not having a go or trying to be rude or critical but you said in your sentance above and I quote "But What "Exactly" did you expect with "Like 5 years" between the realease of the first two games and the third one.

To be more clear you used "Exactly" loosely or Incorrectly because to be Exact there was there was 6 years not as you said "like 5 years" between the release of the first two games and the third one.

Anyway I don’t mind there is no need to explain or apologies I understand what you were trying to say now this is all off the subject Lets get back to the important matters MI so lets Discuss MI sensibly.

No, that's not what you said. By ommitting CMI you completely altered the sentences meaning.

Alien you said I rearranged the sentance but if you read instead just briefly reading you would notice instead of saying CMI I said Monkey Island 3.

I did not alter or remove anything.

Aliens

'Bullshít' is a swear word? Grow up.

If only you would put more emphasis on mastering the English language and less time on obsessing about 'bad words'...

Alien there is a 4 letter word and your full of it I admit im not brilliant at spelling but I try my best.

No, that's not what you said. By "ommitting" CMI you completely altered the sentences meaning.

Alien you should try mastering English yourself first try practicing how to spell the big words correctly because in your statement above your spelt Omitting incorrectly “Omitting” is one two T’s

Would it be wrong to call you simple.

Ray dude I am not having a go or trying to be rude or critical but you said in your sentance above and I quote "But What "Exactly" did you expect with "Like 5 years" between the realease of the first two games and the third one.

To be more clear you used "Exactly" loosely or Incorrectly because to be Exact there was there was 6 years not as you said "like 5 years" between the release of the first two games and the third one.

Errm. No. I could have said the same using two sentences

"But what exactly did you expect?" and "There were like 5 years between the two releases.."

So "exactly" belongs to the question "What did you expect?" and stands in no direct relation to "like 5 years". "What exactly did you expect?" simply asks (kind of rhetorical) to be "more precise" or "more exact" about your expectations.

And by "like 5 years" I meant "circa 5 years", "about 5 years", "approximately 5 years", which means it could be 6 years or more or less. From a mathematical point of view this might be wrong, but surely not on linguistic grounds.

Anyway I don’t mind there is no need to explain or apologies I understand what you were trying to say now this is all off the subject Lets get back to the important matters MI so lets Discuss MI sensibly.
Yaup. :p

Thats right Joshi Elaine and Herman were both in MI2 for a very short amount of time but then did appear in MI2 they had a great impact. MI2 was for me the greatest game In the MI series for its excellent story its characters its puzzles, its magical graphics, music and sounds and it was atmospheric. It was also free roaming I could talk to wally for hours and then go to the bloody lip. Only MI1 and MI2 have all these qualitys MI4 has most of them so i enjoyed it.For me MI3 has few of these qualitys which is why I dont like it as much as the others.

I'd hate to disagree (heh, no I wouldn't) but CMI had pretty much all of these qualities, and whilst MI4 also had them, not as much as MI3. In MI3, you could, for example, go talk to the barbers for hours about stuff that has no impact on the story whatsoever and then go off to find a gold tooth or something.

Okay, first of all, Largo, learn to use the quote tags. It's not that hard. The board already lets you quote a full post, the rest is just copy, paste and delete. Remember to close each tag you started like [this] with a corresponding tag like [/this].

Secondly, you get all ecstatic because I spelled one fúcking word wrong? One measly fúcking, insignificant letter too much?! English is not even my first language and I'm better at getting my point across than you.

Alien you said I rearranged the sentance but if you read instead just briefly reading you would notice instead of saying CMI I said Monkey Island 3.

I did not alter or remove anything.

Yes, you bloody well did remove the part about Monkey Island 3/CMI/Curse Of Monkey Island. Thereby completely altering the meaning.

Alien there is a 4 letter word and your full of it I admit im not brilliant at spelling but I try my best.

I may be full of shít, but at least I can recognize when a sentence ends and put a period there. It's so basic, better learn it some time soon.

I don't even know why I answer anymore. With every post you make it becomes more apparent to everyone that you are either 9 years old or retarded. And beating either in an argument is not very fulfilling.

Largo, if you're going to get all anal and start picking out small typos in people's posts (which is in itself laughable, considering your own examples of writing in this thread, as well as generally annoying), then at least try to not ignore genuine points that are made in the same posts.

It's comparable to arguing with a brick wall; you spout off a load of rubbish, your points are debated, and then you just throw off a load more without even acknowledging that your last ones were proven invalid. If you're going to try and argue, do it properly instead of wasting people's time.

Honestly, and you asked Alien if he is a true Monkey Island fan? I'm beginning to wonder whether or not you've even played the games, and are simply igniting arguments like this to pass the time. Murray was in MI1 and MI2? You've basically destroyed any credibility that you might have had with that tidy statement.

Don't forget the 3-Pirates with the rat and Stan (who was in all four).

Fair do's, but Stans more of a running joke than anything else (we need someone to sell something, we have stan) and the 3 Pirates were very short lived in the first one, this was really just their big break, I hear they're doing broadway now.

Largo, if you're going to get all anal and start picking out small typos in people's posts (which is in itself laughable, considering your own examples of writing in this thread, as well as generally annoying), then at least try to not ignore genuine points that are made in the same posts.

It's comparable to arguing with a brick wall

Thirk please read before pointing the finger I was not the one who was picking on peoples typos that was alien. Firstly I am not an annoying what I said About MI3 might annoy those who’s favourite game is MI3 but that was the whole reason why I said “I did say if MI3 is your favorite game in the series you wont like what I say about MI3 if you do not want read what I think of MI3 then don’t read” I am one of the most polite people you will meet in these forums I live and breath Monkey Island I might annoy people accidentally.

Anyway the whole point of this post is to discus MI4 and do we think it was the game that ruined the series my favorite game is M1 and MI2 and I also like MI4 but I didn’t like MI3 as much as the others and so I think MI3 was the worst of them all and I gave all my reasons for this. Alien did not like my comments on MI3 and instead of putting his point in a civilized manor he put his point across like he usually in all the other posts he briefly reads what you say and then he says what he wants to say and picks out all the typos calls you a few names and swears. He didn’t like what I said called me silly names and sweared at me. I told him he doesn’t need to swear to get his point across because there is not need for that in these forums. Thirk if you read the quotes below.

Originally Posted by Alien426

If only you would put more emphasis on mastering the English language and less time on obsessing about 'bad words'

In the same post Alien said this

No, that's not what you said. By "ommitting" CMI you completely altered the sentences meaning.

Originally Posted by Largo La grande

Alien you should try mastering English yourself first try practicing how to spell the big words correctly because in your statement above your spelt Omitting incorrectly “Omitting” is one two T’s

Now I admit I am not the greatest speller but I try my best like everyone else around here. Now I am sure you agree alien has no right telling me I should try mastering the English language before telling him not to swear and this is the reason why I corrected him on his spelling because he totally contradicted what he said by spelling Omitting wrong. He did not like me correcting him because he knows it made everyone see he had just made an idiot of himself and if you look at his quote below you will see for yourself how foul mouthed he is.

Secondly, you get all ecstatic because I spelled one fúcking word wrong? One measly fúcking, insignificant letter too much?! English is not even my first language and I'm better at getting my point across than you.

Thirk I Am a true Monkey Island Fan he is the one who is only around here to ignite arguments also I never said Murray was not in MI1 or MI2 because he was in all of the games. I was telling Alien Murray was in all the MI games because he said Murray was a new character in MI3 in his quote below..

But the new characters in CMI just worked. They were likable and had depth and did fit in the MI settingJust think about them: Haggis, Edward, Bill, Murray (a very popular character), Kenny (great music!), Madame Xima, Capt. Rottingham...

Anyway alien is known in these forums for his bad attitude and I am going to do what everyone else in this forum who has been annoyed by him in does. I am going to show him the finger and ignore him so from now on he doesn’t exist. I do not want to waste my time talking to him I am only interested in talking about Monkey Island.

:smash::sniper9::swear:

Third times a charm, eh Largo?

Could I just ask, exactly where in Monkey Island 1 and 2 was Murray. Obviously not being as big a Monkey Island fan as you so obviously are, I was wondering where I'd slipped up because I can't for the life of me find him.

Largo, you seriously need to start cutting down how much you say; life's too short for me to be reading four pages of text with a point that could have been said in a few sentences.

Anyway, my main point was that you are completely ignoring people's arguments, and seem to just not be taking in anything that's said at all. A perfect example is your Murray comment: you have been told multiple times now that Murray was not in Monkey Island 1 or 2, and yet you are somehow managing to completely ignore it. Once again: Murray was not in Monkey Island 1 or 2.

Do you see what I mean by “arguing with a brick wall” now? You've been directly asked to explain where you think Murray was, and you just... haven't. This complete lacking of ability on your part to respond to people's arguments just makes the whole debate thoroughly tedious.

Wow, i don't come on here for 3 days and look whats happened. I'll start with points about MI i think...

You see that's where I disagree. And your insistance just played into my hands.

Did EMI have a lot of characters from previous games? Yes, certainly. Elaine, Herman, LeChuck, Carla, Otis, Jojo (kinda), Murray, Voodoo Lady...

Did the fans feel it was a worthy part of the series? No.

They missed a lot of the stuff that was just there in the other games. You can't throw all the stuff that has already been in there into a new game and expect it to be as much as the others. EMI had no mojo. It was what suits do when they want money. Milk the franchise. But they often forget this one ingredient that Neill nailed in his post: Love.

You can tell the developers to make a Monkey Island game. They can look at the art style and try to translate it to 3D (because 3D is so hip). Take old characters and put them there. Take the references to modern life and bloat them up very crudely. If they are just using formulas there will be something important missing.

My point is, that there are many key elements to creating a proper MI game. The characters is just one of them.

Okay, i think this is where my argument f*cks up.. I didn't think about that. But, the problem is, i don't see MI2 as the second game. I see it as the first, along with MI1. Wierd, i know. I think it's how i played the game, side-by-side in a sort of way.

Part of me would agree. I'd hate a game which just featured MI1 / 2 characters. But certain ones i feel are essential to the feel of a MI game. And also others. Like it was nice seeing Carla, Otis and Meethook again. And the Men of Low Moral Fiber in the second. I think to have the odd firmiliar face is good but not to litter the place with old characters.

Now, i would like to point something out. This is not an english exam. We are not judging people's posts by their english skills, but by there MI content. That's why we're here, to discuss Monkey Island. So, please, shut up about damn grammar skills etc. It honestly makes you look pathetic and shows everyone that you have run out of relevant points to argue with and are scraping the barrel so to speak so you don't look like a fool. Too much pride are in people. Accept that sometimes you are wrong instead of bringing up irrelevant points...

Murry is appranetly in all the MI games I cant remeber were it was I read this Im sure It was on the world of MI or Amiga Power magazine. Aprently they put him in all the games in some way or another he did not have a part in MI1 or MI2 but he is apparently in MI1 and MI2. Maybe he is one of the pirates in the Scumm bar on MI1 or a skull someowere in the game. I reakon in MI2 in woodtick he is the skull on the shelf in the voodo ladys shop but maybe that is not his skull. The theroy he made his debut as a pirate in the scumm bar sounds more intrsting because it would fit perfectly with the skull and bones of one of the pirates floating in the water that ask guybrush to pass him one of his bones at the begining of MI3. Murry also tell you how he got to be the host of planet threepwood in MI3 maybe he was somone elses. Anyway untill Gilbert himself and not amiga power magazine whos word I accept highly. However without gilbert we can not for sure find out if this is true and it will remain one of the many secrets we will never know about much like the lost scenes, backgrounds, Puzzels and story that was cut out of the final versions of MI1 and MI2.

Which pretty much puts Murray under the same heading as "The carpenter in MI2 is really Largo in disguise"

No really, that's just going a bit too far with the whole "reading too much into things" thing. Not everything had to be a secret or conspiricy. A random skull is probably just a random skull, Murray only became a character in MI3

Archived