Home

What MI game ruined the series?

Ben31

Which Monkey Island game ruined the series?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which Monkey Island game ruined the series?

• The Curse of Monkey Island
    • Escape from Monkey Island
    • Neither

Oh by the way guys I am a Monkey Island 1 and 2 fan and although I was very dissapointed with Monkey Island 3 because it did not continue from exactly were MI2 left off or look like MI2. I voted for neither of the games ruined the Monkey Island Series so that means it must be gabez like the others said.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, i think that when you have 3 outstanding games, and one good game, that surely ruins the outstandingness of the series because it brings it down a bit. It doesn't keep the consistant level up. It doesn't ruin it in the sense that it lowers it to being a crap game. It just isn't up to scratch in my view - that's what i mean by ruin. Maybe ruin was a harsh word and wasn't clear amongst you all…

I think I would actually say MI4 ruined it. It changed very obvious facts about the older games. Before EMI, it was a fact that the Monkey Head was a dead giant monkey. Then they changed it and made it a stone monkey. The hanging monkey in MI1 was never named and the MI2 monkey playing the piano was named Jojo. The grey MI4 monkey was named Jojo Jr after the MI1 hanging monkey. It's bad if they mixed the two up, and worse if they decided to call both monkeys Jojo, therefore having 3 Jojos in the series. Tiny LaFoot was a character in MI3. In MI4, there was a character called Tiny LaFeet. Same again. Did they forget about the old character, is it supposed to be the same guy, or did they decide to give them incredibly similar names? It ruined the series by undoing what the others had set in place. (MI3 didn't do this. The end of MI2 was a cliffhanger: Is Guybrush really a kid? MI3 answered the question, they didn't change a fact.) That's why I chose MI4.

Here here!! What a good post. It's as if the guys down at LucasArts basically said to themselves, "hey, i know - lets screw the first 2 games, their creators and their fans and lets make it how we think it should be. Who cares if it makes no sense and ruins the series?" (maybe not that last bit :p but you get the point (hopefully)).

And lets not forget that Herman Toothrot is actually HT Marley thing... something that didn't make sense to me at the time and needed a bugger load of explanation by fans here to make it ever so slightly passable.

Your not alone in being confused let me tell you. It seemed to decide on a new idea which didn't work with what you found out in SoMI.

Yo counting Pine love the fake Largo quote joke you did good scence of humour you got there:)

Wh... what?!

I am seriously beginning to wonder if you even bother reading other people's posts before going off on these fifty paragraph tangents of yours, Largo. Allow me to quote Counting Pine's post for you, since you evidently didn't actually read it:

Heh. Someone called Largo-Lagrande posted in the old thread:

Ooooooh, my. I think smashing my head on a brick wall would be a more fruitful activity than having any kind of discussion with Largo.

I hope Monkey Island 5 will go back to its roots go back to 2D with the look and interface of either MI2 or MI1 and have storlines and puzzels that are true to the first two games. Maybe they could say MI3 and 4 were just dreams and continue from exactly were MI2 ended.:)

Good luck with that.

I do however think that those who wrote the script for MI3 could have given us a better story considering the awesome ending that MI2 left us with.

MI1 and MI2 and MI2's awesome ending was life changing for myself and some of us I was so excited about MI3 and what happens next.

It is because MI3 did not continue off from exactly were MI2 left and not being a 100% sequel to MI2 that I didn’t like it that much. MI3 is a great game that’s for sure but I was angry and disappointed that they didn’t continue from exactly were MI2 ended. I was also unhappy with the new graphical look of the game.

I am sure some of you in these forums will agree when I say MI3 and MI4 were the games that Lucas arts didn’t really know were to take the MI series for MI3 it was almost as if they forgot about all us guys that played MI1 and MI2 back then. And it was as if they were starting a fresh MI3 was like MI for beginners with a less adult graphical look and game play. And MI4 was done in a similar way to MI3 only in 3D.

Myself and allot of others who played MI1 and MI2 when it first came out on Amiga and pc use to have dreams and nightmares about the Monkey Island and felt guilty about leaving Wally all alone in his map shop in Woodtick without his monocle amongst offer things. MI3 and MI4 didn’t have this affect on me or any of my friends.

QUOTE]

I left a post about this in "Why I didn't like EMI" (can't be bothered going back and reading the exact name). CMI DID continue from the end of MI2. He escaped the curse LeChuck put on him and got off Monkey Island. That's where you start off. The rest is later explained. And as for not being a 100% sequel... MI3 came after MI2. That makes it a sequel. Just because it was made by different people, doesn't change that. I got the "monocle guilt" after a few things in MI3.

Hey cheese:) yea You me and most of us get the monocle guild trip, dreams and nightmares and it shows how how good MI1 and MI2 is I also get the same thing when I sawed off one of the me of low morale fibers prg legs whilst he was asleep.

MI3 was a sequel I dont dissagree with that. But I was diisapointed with the breif explantion they gave us at the begining and towards the end of MI3 that tried to expalin what happend. It was exaplined in a simular style of Dallas "Bobbys not dead it was all a dream" I am just dissapointed that MI3 dident continue exactly from were MI2 ended at the fair.

The story designers have admmited many a time in interviews that they designed MI3 manily for those who have never played MI1 or MI2 and those who dont know what happend in MI1 and MI2 games kinda like Monkey Island for beginers. I think think its dissrespect full not to have played MI1 and MI2. This is the reason why I found it easy.

Sometimes you have to decide if you want to tell a stupid story about some hallucinatory carnival or if you want to make a good adventure game. Fortunately the Curse Of Monkey Island team made the right choice. I don't want to be a little punk who was slipped some cosmic tryptamines and wants to be a pirate; I just want to be a pirate.

One thing, how did LeChuck put a curse on Guybrush? I mean, his initial plan was to use his voodoo doll and when that backfired he had to conjure another plan which took the form of a curse spell. We don't see anything happen and LeChuck persisted with his voodoo doll trying to zap Guybrush to someplace which he mentioned - so thus he would have had to make it or had something to use on Guybrush within the split seconds that he was lieing on the floor with his leg ripped off... hmm...

Anyway, i personally like the idea that he was lost in a childs imagination in a fair. Sure at first i hated it but when i look closer, all the little links throughout the game is just ingenious - magnificant! Uncomparable.. Ron Gilbert is a god. What would be even more interesting would be where Mr Gilbert would take this in the 3rd - perhaps he didn't want to make a sequel resulting in his departure? Who knows. What we do know, is we have CoMI and EfMI and they're here to stay, that's happened. They've been made and theres little we can do expect wallow in the past, thinking of what could have been. Desperately trying to change the past...(it isn't a healthy thing)

Anyway, i personally like the idea that he was lost in a childs imagination in a fair. Sure at first i hated it but when i look closer, all the little links throughout the game is just ingenious - magnificant! Uncomparable.. Ron Gilbert is a god. What would be even more interesting would be where Mr Gilbert would take this in the 3rd - perhaps he didn't want to make a sequel resulting in his departure? Who knows. What we do know, is we have CoMI and EfMI and they're here to stay, that's happened. They've been made and theres little we can do expect wallow in the past, thinking of what could have been. Desperately trying to change the past...(it isn't a healthy thing)

He did have an idea for MI3, but general consensus is that he'd intended the first two games to simply be that of the inside of a childs imagination whilst at a theme park, which is what we find out at the end of MI2, and then, just in case there happened to be a 3rd in the series (should he be involved or not) he added the weird eyes on Chucky, and the comment from Elaine both of which could simply be thrown away as part of a mystery had COMI never been made.

But it had, and personally, I think it was done very well, if they actually had explained away everything to do with the ending to MI2 in COMI, a number of people wouldn't have taken it in, it wouldn't fit right with them, no reason, that's just how people are. The way it was done in COMI allowed the player to put together their own story as to how Guybrush escaped and whatnot. Much easier (okay, a bit cheeky when you come to think about it, but I still liked it).

I still don't think you understand. Counting Pine means that somebody else with the forum name “Largo Lagrande” (except with a hyphen) posted in that thread. He's not talking about you.

Get it now?

Yes, if you read said thread, you'll find said post. counting_pine was not inferring that you were that user, simply that it's ironic that one person under that name liked the game whilst another didn't as much.

You have to be grateful for the little things, Thrik. He got your name right this time.

It is because MI3 did not continue off from exactly were MI2 left

Then how is Monkey Island 2 better? You enter the story being stuck on Scabb Island. How did Guybrush get there? Why hasn't he got a ship and has to charter one to get off the island?

Am i right in thinking that the basis for your hate (if you can call it that) for Largo LaGrande stems from his inability to understand the English language as fully as other members? It seems so. Largo often seems ignorant or stupid but maybe this is not because he is but because he finds it difficult to fully understand the posts. We can tell from his posts that his first language isn't English (god help us if it is). I don't see why you guys have to make a f*cking comment insulting him at every opportunity. If there is a reason, please enlighten me...

1. I don't hate Largo, I find him a great source of entertainment

2. He simply doesn't read posts as carefully as a person should if his primary language isn't English, and therefore comes to the wrong conclusions, at which point he'll end up making a fool of himself.

A good deal of the members of this board (and I do mean the MI board) are using English as a second language and still manage quite well. Yes, there are sometimes misunderstandings (the less said about the early days of Ray G. Jones the better, but there's no denying his posts have become much more coherent), but it's usually not that bad.

I still don't think you understand. Counting Pine means that somebody else with the forum name “Largo Lagrande” (except with a hyphen) posted in that thread. He's not talking about you.

Get it now?

Thrik and virtually most of you have jumped to conclusions it was not in relation to Counting pines post you misunderstood what I said. I didn’t say it had anything to do with counting pines post did I. What I meant was in general I am nothing like Largo.

If you want to insult me can you please do it in a post especially for it and I will happily reply. I couldn’t give a dam what you think of my English or for those of you that are critical of mine or anyone’s for that matter. Yours is not exactly perfect either.

For Example

Joshi you said "1. I don't hate Largo, I find him a great source of entertainment"

After Largo you should have used a semicolon not a comma.

Ben you said "Am i right in thinking that the basis for your hate (if you can call it that) for Largo LaGrande stems from his inability to understand the English language as fully as other members?"

You should of used a capital "I" for Am "i" am right.

Thrik you have used the words Heh, Hee, Wh, those word don’t exist in the English Dictionary or English language.

Before picking on people for there incorrect spellings or grammar remember none of us use perfect English, Grammar, or spellings around here and by picking each other up on it we are just contradicting ourselves.

Now can we get back to talking about Monkey Island?

I don't think I've made any posts about your grammar, have I? In fact, the only mention of from it myself has been when I asked you to stop pointing out other people's errors. ;)

Also:

Yo counting Pine love the fake Largo quote joke you did good scence of humour you got there:)

Do you just have a selective memory or something? I've no personal beef with you, Largo, and you'll note that I have avoided insulting you; however, your consistent inability to carry an argument is truly infuriating. Every time somebody delivers a rebuttal to you, you either ignore it or you completely misinterpret it.

Then, just for good measure, you submit a twenty paragraph post about why you think MI4 is better than MI3, despite you having already done so a million times before. We know you like MI4 . You know that most of us prefer MI3. You don't need to keep justifying yourself — we're capable of making up our own opinions, contrary to what you seem to believe. We don't need saving.

Oh, and I almost forgot! Once again, Largo, you managed to tactfully ignore the two Monkey Island posts above from Joshi and Alien, instead concentrating on talking about grammar.

Then how is Monkey Island 2 better? You enter the story being stuck on Scabb Island. How did Guybrush get there? Why hasn't he got a ship and has to charter one to get off the island?

That is an excellent point from Alien. MI2 was very much like MI3, in that it chopped out a portion of the storyline and instead implied what'd happened through later conversations in the game. If anything, MI3 simply kept in line with the traditional way of beginning a Monkey Island game. We didn't need to literally see what happened.

So, instead of giving us a generic statement about how you think MI3 was a disappointment and that the designers said X in N interview, why don't you do this the good old fashioned way and simply respond to that argument?

I'm closing this thread if you don't, because I've had enough of you disrespecting everybody by blatantly ignoring their arguments. You also managed to skilfully ignore the posts above about MI3 saving the series from the child's imagination that MI2's ending steered it towards — ingenious as it was, it didn't leave much room for a piratey sequel — but I'll let that go for now.

Sometimes you have to decide if you want to tell a stupid story about some hallucinatory carnival or if you want to make a good adventure game. Fortunately the Curse Of Monkey Island team made the right choice. I don't want to be a little punk who was slipped some cosmic tryptamines and wants to be a pirate; I just want to be a pirate.

Joshi you said "1. I don't hate Largo, I find him a great source of entertainment"

After Largo you should have used a semicolon not a comma.

Not that I have actually corrected your grammer in the recent past, but a semicolon is actually optional in that instance and would be based purely on my preferance (i.e, if I were to say that out loud, it'd be based completely on my tone of voice more than anything).

Largo, whilst you seem to enjoy arguing with people who may or may not have started said arguments, pulling people like myself and ben into it (when I myself have attempted to refrain from arguing too much with you and have reserved myself to simply attempting to put my point across, even if you do ignore it completely, and Ben, I don't think has ever said a bad word against you) will simply result in you shooting yourself in the foot.

If you have beef with Thrik argue with Thrik (preferably through PM's), don't attempt to make the world an enemy.

Archived