Home

What MI game ruined the series?

Ben31

Which Monkey Island game ruined the series?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which Monkey Island game ruined the series?

• The Curse of Monkey Island
    • Escape from Monkey Island
    • Neither

After instructions from Largo LeGrande i felt obliged to create this poll...

Which of the MI games (if any) ruined the series for you? Since i've only played MI1, 2 and 4 i don't feel fully qualified to say but certainly the one that lowered the standards for me was the 4th. Have your say!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've had to edit a poll in the new forums (since the upgrade) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to edit poll's. :p

But once I figure it out, rest assured, there will be a Neither option.

EDIT

Good thing I'm no politician else that'd be a broken promise right there. Turns out that since the upgrade to vb3, poll editing has been restriced to the highest levels (Admins), or so Thrik tells me, so i won't be able to change anything.

But I'm sure a kindly Admin would be more than happy to (all yours Thrik :D).

I think people are being too harsh on EMI... even if you think it's inferior to the first three games, that doesn't mean to say that it's a bad game per se. Comparing things together always changes what you think of them. plain kids look better next to ugly kids, for instance.

I mean, sure, you might say the EMI looks bad compared to Mi2, but it looks amazing compared to a lot of the other stuff on the market. It's probably better than, say, 80% of all games.

So to say it ruined the series is a bit much, even if you do think that it's the worst of the four. I mean, it's not like it's Episode One or anything. ;

Putting the technical aspect aside, I cannot really tell which one of the first three is the best, as I think each one of them appears somewhat unique to me.

However, the fourth MI game did not exactly ruin the series, but was the one were I said "Well, that surely was, uh, fun?" after playing it, plus it is the one I've never replayed a single time and I did not even think once about doing so.

Also, due to the extraordinary coolness of the other games you cannot really ruin the whole MI series.

So, since there is no "least Monkey Island-ish game of the series" option, I checked "Neither".

The poll above is good although I think neither is going to win. I agree with what he said above although I dident like Curse of Monkey Island that much and I liked escape from more out of the two choices the Monkey Island series is not ruined its always going to be the best story game series. I think a poll for which is the worst MI game of them all with a choice of all 4 games and no neither. Also a poll called what is your favourite MI game of all time would be cool again with a choice of all 4 games and no neither.

Here is my reasons for my vote

I have choose neither because the Monkey island series will not be ruined buy Curse of Monkey Island.

If it was a choice of which do you think is the worst I would choose Monkey Island 3. Because Monkey Island 2 was my favourite game of all time and after completing it the ending was awsome and I was excited to see what happens next.

Instead when I got MI3 I was very dissapointed because it felt like a completly different game Guybrush was more grown up and piratey in Monkey Island 2 and the whole game felt more grown up. In Monkey Island 3 Guybrush and the look of the game was totally different Monkey Island 3 looked childish and cartoonie and not as grown up it and guybrush looked how he looked in MI1 but he wasnt as grown up looking. Monkey Island 3 for me did not continue from were Monkey Island 2 ended it just gave a brief and poor explanation of what happend almost a dissmisal of what happend. This was dissapointing to me because I expected a complete sequel to Monkey Island 2 and I expected it to look exactly the same only better and what I got was an etirely different game. Also after completing both Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 I was ready for another challange but when I got Monkey Island 3 it was too easy it was alomost like Monkey Island for Dummies. It is for these reasons why I think Monkey Island 3 was the worst monkey Island game I still think it is a very good game but I expected it to be a whole lot better especially with it being the sequel to Monkey Island 2.

I enjoyed Monkey Island 4 the 3D graphics were good but I like 2D graphics better but I found Monkey Island 4 a challanging game and it was funny and magical.

Monkey Island 2 is my favourite Monkey Island game and Monkey Island 1 my second favourite Monkey Island 4 is my third Favourite Monkey Island game.

The poll above is good although I think neither is going to win. I agree with what he said above although I dident like Curse of Monkey Island that much and I liked escape from more out of the two choices the Monkey Island series is not ruined its always going to be the best story game series. I think a poll for which is the worst MI game of them all with a choice of all 4 games and no neither. Also a poll called what is your favourite MI game of all time would be cool again with a choice of all 4 games and no neither.

Argh, lol. You were the one arguing that CoMI ruined the series opposed to those who said EfMI did - and you asked me to make this thread. Haha, nevermind..

I think people have misconceptions on what i mean by "ruin the series". I see a game that ruins the series as a game which doesn't live up to it's fellow MI games. Not that it was bad and thus brought the entire series down with it into making it a crap game series..

Argh, lol. You were the one arguing that CoMI ruined the series opposed to those who said EfMI did - and you asked me to make this thread. Haha, nevermind..

Note how COMI has one vote and Largo is pretty much the only person on this board who'd be likely to choose it. I'm not saying he did choose it, and I'm not saying he didn't... but I'm especially not saying he didn't.

Old Favorite MI Poll if you're interested.

Heh. Someone called Largo-Lagrande posted in the old thread:

1.MI3

2.MI2

3.MI1

4.MI4

i like MI3 best because it is funny good graphix it has voices good music and i liked the story line

Just a coincidence I guess, but still pretty funny.

(Re the current poll, I found I couldn't actually bring myself to click the EMI option. I probably would have if it was a "Worst game in the series" poll, but I agree, "ruined" is a bit strong)

I think I would actually say MI4 ruined it. It changed very obvious facts about the older games. Before EMI, it was a fact that the Monkey Head was a dead giant monkey. Then they changed it and made it a stone monkey. The hanging monkey in MI1 was never named and the MI2 monkey playing the piano was named Jojo. The grey MI4 monkey was named Jojo Jr after the MI1 hanging monkey. It's bad if they mixed the two up, and worse if they decided to call both monkeys Jojo, therefore having 3 Jojos in the series. Tiny LaFoot was a character in MI3. In MI4, there was a character called Tiny LaFeet. Same again. Did they forget about the old character, is it supposed to be the same guy, or did they decide to give them incredibly similar names? It ruined the series by undoing what the others had set in place. (MI3 didn't do this. The end of MI2 was a cliffhanger: Is Guybrush really a kid? MI3 answered the question, they didn't change a fact.) That's why I chose MI4.

I think I would actually say MI4 ruined it. It changed very obvious facts about the older games. Before EMI, it was a fact that the Monkey Head was a dead giant monkey. Then they changed it and made it a stone monkey. The hanging monkey in MI1 was never named and the MI2 monkey playing the piano was named Jojo. The grey MI4 monkey was named Jojo Jr after the MI1 hanging monkey. It's bad if they mixed the two up, and worse if they decided to call both monkeys Jojo, therefore having 3 Jojos in the series. Tiny LaFoot was a character in MI3. In MI4, there was a character called Tiny LaFeet. Same again. Did they forget about the old character, is it supposed to be the same guy, or did they decide to give them incredibly similar names? It ruined the series by undoing what the others had set in place. (MI3 didn't do this. The end of MI2 was a cliffhanger: Is Guybrush really a kid? MI3 answered the question, they didn't change a fact.) That's why I chose MI4.

And lets not forget that Herman Toothrot is actually HT Marley thing... something that didn't make sense to me at the time and needed a bugger load of explanation by fans here to make it ever so slightly passable.

And now for the twist:

Largo is a liar!

Dear God No! Not since the realisation that Guybrush is actually just some kid in a theme park have i felt so wronged. I'd always thought Largo was an upstanding member of this community.

Yo counting Pine love the fake Largo quote joke you did good scence of humour you got there:)

Hi ben that’s right I did say we should have a vote but this isnt my poll and I didn’t have a think about the possibilities we could have if it was my post and my vote I would have 2 polls I might do one of my own soon. I was thinking in the lines of what I said above.

A poll for which is the worst MI game of them all with only a choice of all 4 games and no option to choose neither.

Also a poll called what is your favorite MI game of all time would be cool again with a choice of only all 4 games and no option to choose neither.

I am going over what I just said now but I will be more honest this time on what I think as final say on the whole subect.

The Monkey Island Series will not be ruined by Curse of Monkey Island the reason for that is I enjoyed MI4.

I do however think that those who wrote the script for MI3 could have given us a better story considering the awesome ending that MI2 left us with.

Regardless of weather one of the games was not as good as we expect the MI series is not ruined and never will be it can easily pick its self back up again when they make Monkey Island 5.

MI1 and MI2 and MI2's awesome ending was life changing for myself and some of us I was so excited about MI3 and what happens next.

It is because MI3 did not continue off from exactly were MI2 left and not being a100% sequel to MI2 that I didn’t like it that much. MI3 is a great game that’s for sure but I was angry and disappointed that they didn’t continue from exactly were MI2 ended. I was also unhappy with the new graphical look of the game.

I am sure some of you in these forums will agree when I say MI3 and MI4 were the games that Lucas arts didn’t really know were to take the MI series for MI3 it was almost as if they forgot about all us guys that played MI1 and MI2 back then. And it was as if they were starting a fresh MI3 was like MI for beginners with a less adult graphical look and game play. And MI4 was done in a similar way to MI3 only in 3D.

Myself and allot of others who played MI1 and MI2 when it first came out on Amiga and pc use to have dreams and nightmares about the Monkey Island and felt guilty about leaving Wally all alone in his map shop in Woodtick without his monocle amongst offer things. MI3 and MI4 didn’t have this affect on me or any of my friends.

I hope Monkey Island 5 will go back to its roots go back to 2D with the look and interface of either MI2 or MI1 and have storlines and puzzels that are true to the first two games. Maybe they could say MI3 and 4 were just dreams and continue from exactly were MI2 ended.:)

Archived