Home

Is This Even Possible??

RaV™

Is it possible to reduce the size of videos? On a site that I post Boxing Videos on has a limit of 30 mb and most of the good and full fight videos I have are alot more. So i'm wondering is it possible to reduce sizes of videos? Appreciate it.

Dang that was quick. all of the videos that i'm trying to post are all mpegs and the tools I have available is probably anything usable off the internet and maybe there might be a program on my computer that can resize things, but i'm not so sure.

Dang that was quick. all of the videos that i'm trying to post are all mpegs and the tools I have available is probably anything usable off the internet and maybe there might be a program on my computer that can resize things, but i'm not so sure.
Heh, just finished optimizing my TCP/IP settings, so I'm getting ~9 Mbps download speeds-something I'll definitely be taking advantage of while it lasts :xp:

Anyways, I suggest you get the Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 Tryout to start with, it uses up a lot of system resources, but it's the easiest to work with (no .NET like with Vegas, compatability with all codecs, and MPEG support included in the demo). Personally, I'd compress the video and keep the resolution the same, but if you want to keep it encoded as an MPEG file, you can just re-size it. To re-size it, click File->Import->Clip (or something like that) and select the original file. Then select the clip in the project window. After that, click File->Export->Clip->All (again, it should be something along those lines). Then just select the file format, compressor, audio settings, and resolution. I suggest you keep the audio the same and just re-size it though, bad things can come of messing around with the audio (mainly it not working after you spend 25 minutes exporting).

Then just test the file out to make sure the audio and video are working and the video is at the new resolution, and you're done :)

What about improving Resolution? Can you do that with mepg's? I'm pretty sure people would like to see the match a little bit clearer on some videos.
I don't usually deal with MPEGs (usually just AVIs and DivX for me), so I'm not too sure about all the different options, but you could just experiment with the different options by selecting a short section of the clip to export for the different settings you try out.

Heh, just finished optimizing my TCP/IP settings, so I'm getting ~9 Mbps download speeds-something I'll definitely be taking advantage of while it lasts :xp:

You, you, I, you, the, I, you.

GRRRRRR.

When I think of a word for you I'll be back! :fist:

Hey RaV™, are you wanting these downsized to be viewed on your website, or are you just wanting them small enough to store so ppl can download?

WinRar is a compression/archive tool (like WinZip) and it's not going to actually re-size the video.. it's going to compress the file in a downloadable packet...

If you're wanting smaller video size compression, I would suggest using a program like Cleaner... however, it's not a free program... (there is a free trial though)

You say your vids are mpeg.. are they mpeg4 (mp4)? That format is a dream for us video guys as while it can compress uber small.. the user can up-size it at "home" into a full un-compressed AVI without data loss should they choose they want to view a full resolution version...

If you're feeling froggy, you could always re-master your vids into Flash.. that will definitely bring the size down ;)

Well whatever brings the size of them down under 100 mb or exactly at 100 mb, and i'm posting off of a website. I don't have much of a clue to do with the program Jmac told me to use. I followed her instructions, but I still can't find the file format. any suggestions?

Well whatever brings the size of them down under 100 mb or exactly at 100 mb, and i'm posting off of a website. I don't have much of a clue to do with the program Jmac told me to use. I followed her instructions, but I still can't find the file format. any suggestions?
Ehhh, it would be his instuctions.

Anyway, depending on the length of the clip (a 10-12 minute clip should compress under 100 Mb with the following method), I'd recommend that you get the DivX 6.2 Pro Tryout and compress the video with that. After installing it, import the video (File->Import) into Premiere Pro, then select it in the project window. After that, click File->Export->Movie. Next, click 'Settings...'. Select "Microsoft AVI" as the file type. Then, under the 'Video' options, select "DivX 6.2.2 Codec" as the compressor (the default settings should be enough to compress the file sufficiantly). After that, just click OK and save the file.

Most of the clips are 30 mins..
Do you know the bitrate or what resolution they are (at ~640x480, 128 kbps you're looking at ~200 Mb)? The only codec I've heard of that compresses better than DivX is h.264, which is hard to find and and expensive. I'd say the only alternative is to re-size it (maybe 200x200), encode it with DivX at a low-ish (maybe 128 kbps) bitrate, lower the audio quality (maybe 16-bit MP3 @ 56 khz), and pray it turns out under 100 Mb. If you could post the resolution, video bitrate, audio bitrate, duration, and audio sample rate (i.e 48 khz), I might be able to help you more.

I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, but I think so..one video I have has a size of 352X240, the aspect radio is 1.3:1 , the audio codec is mpeg audio decoder and the video codec is mpeg video decoder

Archived