Home

Infantry

Dreng

Well first of all sorry if this has been asked before but i dont feel like searching the forums my question is can we expect infantry shoting while moving? that would be a nice feature another great thing would be a way to increase the range of their weapons just a bit maybe can be a bonus for controlling any new planet or field commanders or whatever their name is in english (im from spain and hace the spanish version) can have a buff to increase range of infantry while he is in the field making this unit more usefull the current range is very short imo if a squad of soldiers have to stay at 20m from vader or any unit who can squash them to shoot they are doomed....

thats the point of those units, they use blaster rifles, not sniper rifles like the infiltrators, dont know if the imps have an equivalent unit to the infiltrator, but if u like to shoot from range use them, or send ur mechs as a shield first and then ur infantry.

I dont see that thing of walk and shoot happening, but we will have transports that will do that.

I think I've seen infantry fire while running to a limited extent--but I definitely agree that they should move around a lot more in combat. They ought to act like they're actually in a firefight, not a boxing match.

Petroglyph has already mentioned that there will be some types of terrain in FoC that only infantry can cross, making infantry more useful for executing some strategies. The new focus on infantry might extend to other gameplay mechanics, as well...

I hope some of this terrain includes forests; I always hate it that trees block infantry. While we're at at, howzabout vehicles crossing forests? The large walkers and tanks could go through fine (albeit more slowly than normal), but for smaller tanks and walkers to get through, you would have to clear a path with either artillery or concentrated laser fire.

yeah they arent snipers ok but they are supposed to be assault troops so they should move and shoot at same time vehicles can do that why not infantry? an hability called assault or something like that will solve the problem while they are on assault they can run and shoot at same time and maybe shoot faster (offensive stance) but they cannot use take cover at same time (defensive stance) that will make em more usefull cause you can defend a position and use them to assault supporting vehicles now u cant do this cause they have to stop for shoot so your vehicles cant go forward to squash the enemy because your infantry is on their way maybe someone will say put em behind your vehicles then yeah.. good idea i will if their blaster rifles will have more than 20m range

It would be nice if they made infantry so that it wouldn't be so easy to run them over with vehicles. For examples, when they're in "Take Cover"-position they would be immune to being run over.

And yes, terrain that can only be traversed by infantry will be a cool addition. Especially now that we get more infantry in the expansion.

Species specific units would be cool. Things like wookiee smugglers, transto Bounty Hunters, ewok spear chuckers and gungan suicide bombers. Ok maybe not ewoks.

Actually they should just let us use those smugglers and Bounty Hunters in combat, like a minor hero unit. They would work nicely in space like a better freighter unit, and reasonable as a ground minor hero.

It would be nice if they made infantry so that it wouldn't be so easy to run them over with vehicles. For examples, when they're in "Take Cover"-position they would be immune to being run over.

Just because you order them to take cover doesn't mean they should be immune to being run over. I would support them being immune to being run over if they take cover in one of the ruins/stone formations (where they glow green). Being out in the open and crouching doesn't make one immune to treads/walker feet.

You really can't dodge a fast vehicle while squatting down. ;) In some RTS games, there is a 'scatter' command that makes infantry run in all directions to avoid being squashed. Although this is where infantry are seperate units instead of squads, so that might not work in EaW.

I think that just increasing the interval between troops when the "take cover" command is given would go a long way towards avoiding vehicles. Your squads would still suffer some casualties, but it would be harder to crush the whole squad in one go.

I'm definitely in favor of giving infantry another special ability in addition to "take cover." Something offensive, as Dreng suggested: perhaps the ability to charge, or fight hand-to-hand (increased effectiveness against other infantry), or switch to explosive rounds (increased effectiveness against vehicles), or something like that. Each type of infantry could have a unique ability. For Stormtroopers, I'd love to see a special "storm" ability where each line in the squad rushes forward, drops to one knee, and opens a barrage before the next line behind them repeats--an effective way to move forward while dealing damage. Rebel Infiltrators ought to be able to go prone, which would offer increased accuracy and the ability to remain undetected by enemy units outside a certain range from the troops, but at the expense of much reduced mobility.

... how about equipping some type of elite infantry units with spikey hats... well I mean sticky bombs/ instant mines where there is a chance it will go off and damage vehicles?

They did that in BF2. Makes sense since its hard to miss such a big metal object.

• 4 weeks later...

well... i think that there should be some species specific units... also im looking forward to seeing what new tactics the new terain will allow... should definitely make the game more intersting... and enjoyable...

I think the squashing should be removed all together except maybe for the AT-AT, and allow the AT-AT to step on all other vehicles (except another AT-AT off course, in case the rebels steal one, or in Empire vs Empire games). I haven't seen anything else that should be done in that case. However we will have to see how it workes out. I sure hope infantry and everything else can be put into modes. I hate it when I have to micromanage everything. If I have to pus ha button every time it would turn out like Cossacks 2 where I have to tell my troops to fire. Eventhough that would be logical for Cossacks 2 with all it's firing ranges and the effect a shot does (for those who play it I mean the red, yellow and green firing zones), it's impossible to keep track of 5 different squads all over the place, telling them to fire at exactly the right time (either yellow or red zone for those who play it). A small script could easily remove a lot of frustration there. EAW wouldn't even require all options Cossacks needs. I can see that infantry in the fortified mode would pull up blockades for vehicles, disabling them from getting through.

However I must say that Cossacks 2 is a very good game even without the advanced scripts, but their lack is annoying and may ruin the game in the long run. It's not fun to hear the message that 1 of your squads has engaged in melee combat, you quickly through all your regiments (and for some reason you always go through all the other regiments first), only to find out that the regiment in question has been reduced from 120 troops to 90 troops while they still have a full volley ready (wich now does the damage from 90 muskets instead of the 120 it would have if they were scripted, and those 30 muskets generally mean the difference between having your own troops routed or routing the enemy troops).

Archived