Home

The Left Behind...

I say, I say

Grim Fandango ends with the completion of the story of Manny Calavera and Meche Colomar; a story of love beyond life. As Grim Fandango began we were thrown into an enviroment of which we knew nothing about but our character did. The beginning of Manny's story is never revealed except partly in conversations with characters such as Eva and Domino.

The end is also similar; we see the end for Manny and Meche, Salvador, Olivia and Hector but what about our other characters? What happened to Eva and Glottis; Chowchilla Charlie and Maximino- the untold stories. So this thread is for expressing what you think happened to some of your favourite characters that stories were never finished.

All stories welcome.

Why? Unless we're starting a fanfic, this can remain here. Theories can go in Land of the Dead, as far as I know. :)

I think Eva remained with the LSA, maybe even took over after Salvador. Having Hector gone is not necessarily going to change much of Nuevo Marrow as he probably had a lot of followers. LSA is still going to be needed, though it's possible that they wouldn't have to remain underground anymore.

Characters like Membrillo and Toto probably continued their afterlives as before. However, Lola's death probably affected Toto, at least a little. I would have liked to see a sign of that in the game, but it's good this way as well. The "Tell her papa Toto said hello" comment breaks my heart every time.

As for Maximino, I like to think that Olivia dumped him and that caused him to get depressed. That added to the fact that Nuevo Marrow was growing and casting Rubacava into a shadow probably made him a broken man no longer able to continue his business properly.

I know you said you don't care, but I have nothing better to do with my time, so I'll continue the debate. This is what I think of the issue,

Non-fanfic discussion

I think Eva was in love with Salvador and probably took over the LSA after him.

Fanfic

Eva sighed to herself. It had been three months since Salvador's death but to her it felt like years. She would have never admitted it to anyone, but she truly missed the charismatic revolutionary. She did her best not to think about it though, and buried herself under the responsibilities of leading the LSA.

You know what I just wondered? Whatever happened to the men who sprouted everyone on the ship at the beginning of year 3? They sunk a few miles from where Manny and Glottis sank with their half of the ship. Did they just get lost in the endless depth of the ocean?

Nothing interesting really, but hey, it gives me something to do whilst I'm studying :) With Grim Fandango music playing in the background :)

I'm not sure who you're talking about...

grimmobsters.jpg

As for their fate, they probably climbed up to the docks that the ship was right next to at that point. If you recall, Manny and Glottis got away by anchoring down and then jamming the engines onto full, ripping the ship in half but leaving one of those halves where the ship was anchored — the docks.

It's a bit murky and the quality has been wrecked by me lightening up the picture and then compressing the image, but you can see the structures under the water that indicate the ship still being next to the docks:

grimdocks.jpg

There's no sign of any monsters, and it's pretty shallow too. I guess the mobsters didn't get their comeuppance at that point. :(

Hmm, nice find! I was under the impression they were somewhere in the middle of the ocean. Well, its been 2 years since I last played GF. In a week, all my exams are over and I'll be ready to play GF for the fourth time, and this time I'm going to play until I've read all 7000 lines of dialogue :D

It's amazing how you still notice stuff in Grim Fandango years on and after multiple plays. I've played it during pretty much every alternate year since I got it in 1998, and even on my latest this year I still noticed new lines of dialogue and details that I hadn't before.

Almost all objects in the game have two or three pieces of dialogue that come up depending on whether you press 'use', 'look' or 'pick up', so missing some is almost unavoidable. Even if you do try them all, you're bound to forget many of them anyway!

It's rare to get such replayability in a game, almost certainly down to the multitude of quality dialogue. And people ask me why I love this game so much. :)

Hmm What A Wonderful Subject,

Well i dont have things to add more than my friends here.

though about the 3 comminst friends in the bar, I believe they went to work under Eva in the LSA? Or Eva will be as an assistant all her life?

Toto, I believe his life continues as it is. In his far lonley boat.

Glottis, Life is clear, He is still working under his machines, I heard he has new ideas and products. ;)

Olivia? Isnt she the magic modern poetriest lady?

If its her, then i believe she died in the large farm where Hector died.

I believe she died and filled the garden with more flowers.

But not next to Salvadore, Her Flowers were in the other side.

Maximino, Hmm Well Sadly i think he ruled Rebacavva, I think he took over Manny's Club. What was the name of the beautiful lady in the Laundry of Manny's Club?

Maybe she did something and took over the club.

Its beautiful when the story is always opened in the end...

• 1 month later...

Archived