Home

Could this be why KotOR 3 is on a hiatus?

The Source

I thought they changed policy.

***Bow Head In Shame***

I changed my tag line.

“It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character.” - Dr. Dale E. Turner
Welcome back to reality, MacLeodCorp. :)

Not that I think LEC has changed its policy on the modding of its games since Jim Ward took over.
Note that their policy varies by game. The JK series, Battlefront, Republic Commando, etc. all have official mod support.

Note that their policy varies by game. The JK series, Battlefront, Republic Commando, etc. all have official mod support.

The computer software, artwork, music, and other components included in this product, as such may be updated (collectively referred to as the "Software"), are the copyrighted property of LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., and/or its affiliated entities or divisions, and its licensors (collectively referred to as "LucasArts"). The Software is licensed (not sold) to you, and LucasArts owns and/or controls all copyright, trade secret, patent and other proprietary rights in the Software. You may use the Software on a single computer. You may not: (1) copy (other than once for back-up purposes), distribute, rent, lease or sublicense all or any portion of the Software; (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software; (3) transmit the Software over a network, by telephone, or electronically using any means, except in the course of your network multi-player play of the Software over authorized networks; (4) engage in matchmaking for multi-player play over unauthorized networks; (5) design or distribute unauthorized levels; or (6) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software. You may transfer the Software, but only if the recipient agrees to accept and be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you transfer the Software, you must transfer all components and documentation and erase any copies residing on the game console and/or computer equipment. Your rights in and to this license are automatically terminated if and when you transfer the Software.

What about the legal agreements. kotOR II's readme says that it is illeagal to modify the game. Do they ignore the supplied EULA readme?

Edit:: Added::

If anyone is interested, LucasArts has been know for shutting down mods. I have to read to the reasons why, but I thought I would add the links here to show you:

http://www.avault.com/articles/getarticle.asp?name=mod&page=2

http://www.runegame.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=11840

It sounds like that first link you added was a group trying to make their own game based on copyrighted material. The second sounds like people making a Star Wars mod for a non-Star Wars game. I understand both of those cease-and-desist orders, if I'm understanding those two links correctly.

However they're not going to jump on a Star Wars mod in a Star Wars game. That's silly. They jump on Star Wars mods in non-Star Wars games because it's someone else making money off of their product, whether it be the modders themselves or the other game companies as a result of the modders. Either way it's something they see as a threat, and they want to shut it down at the source. While it may be kind of ill-spirited, it's totally understandable. Not to say I agree... just that I understand.

^^^ Or:

4. They are keeping their traps shut so that whatever company makes (is making) K3 can do so without the fanfare that K2 received and can actually make a decent game this time :D

(pleaseohpleaseohplease let this be the reason!)

From your lips to God's ears.

(or your deity of choice.)

What about the legal agreements. kotOR II's readme says that it is illeagal to modify the game. Do they ignore the supplied EULA readme?

Mac, I suggest you read the EULA more closely, as the game content itself is not actually addressed...

Note the use of the word "software" in the EULA.

You may not: (1) copy (other than once for back-up purposes), distribute, rent, lease or sublicense all or any portion of the Software; (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software; (3) transmit the Software over a network, by telephone, or electronically using any means, except in the course of your network multi-player play of the Software over authorized networks; (4) engage in matchmaking for multi-player play over unauthorized networks; (5) design or distribute unauthorized levels; or (6) reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software.

'Software' refers to the altering of the hard-coded engine files like the games executable, the EULA has no actual refrences to the types of mods we make.

But release something that touches the games EXE and you would be nailed by LEC faster than you can say... "Oh Crap!" :eek:

So, anything that is not essential to the 'core' functionality of the game is free and clear. Textures, .uti, .utc, etc... If we were to mess with the game engine or executables, Lucas Arts would have the right to come in and shut people down. Since we are not doing that there, we should be free and clear.

What about scripts? Would scripts be considered a core element to a game's functionality? Animation scripts, dialouge scripts, etc...

Sorry for all of these question, but I think clearing this stuff up will keep everyone informed. It may shead some light on questions, which other visitors, and myself, may have wanted to ask.

So, anything that is not essential to the 'core' functionality of the game is free and clear. Textures, .uti, .utc, etc... If we were to mess with the game engine or executables, Lucas Arts would have the right to come in and shut people down. Since we are not doing that there, we should be free and clear.

What about scripts? Would scripts be considered a core element to a game's functionality? Animation scripts, dialouge scripts, etc...

Sorry for all of these question, but I think clearing this stuff up will keep everyone informed. It may shead some light on questions, which other visitors, and myself, may have wanted to ask.

So far as I understand the EULA. You cannot modify the exe, the game engine, or profit from your mod(s).

Scripts are softcode elements. While you must compile them they are dynamic and can change from area to area. These elements also come with there source files so that another person can write and compile scripts based off of the source samples. Script systems for games were developed so that you can keep the core executable of a game compact. They were also developed to allow for more dynamic game creation and so as to be able to build multiple games off of the same engine.

An executable file encompasses the following "*.exe", "*.dll", & "*.ocx". While some games will allow you to mod certain executables such as "*.dll" files these are considered core engine & game file by most companies and would fall within the Software category.

It sounds like that first link you added was a group trying to make their own game based on copyrighted material. The second sounds like people making a Star Wars mod for a non-Star Wars game.

The way I interpreted what was written would be that it was intended along those lines.

If, for example, someone made a mod that introduced concepts from Star Trek into a Star Wars game, LucasArts might potentially get sued by the IP holders of Star Trek (Paramount/Viacom?), so they'd preemptively act to prevent that from happening and terminate those Mods.

Since they wouldn't want their own Star Wars IP used in unlicensed products from other companies either it would be a bit hypocritical to leave IP-infringing materials from other companies alone for their own products. :)

I.e. as long as the mods you make don't involve materials from other games, franchises or copyrighted sources it shouldn't be of any concern for LucasArts.

As for the game engine, licensing game engines is big business nowadays and reverse engineering their trade secrets for hacking the EXE could potentially threaten this source of revenue. Thus companies tend to be protective of those assets. External data formats used by the engine (which is usually what modders tamper with) usually aren't that critical though. Evident in Bioware's case since the technical documentation is made available freely for many of those formats. :)

Thank you all for your feedback on the matter. Your answers helped with my questions, and maybe others can get some insight.

When it comes to liscencing agreements, I am so left field about it. When it comes to computer technology and software, I am savvy as the wrest.

Thank you,

MacLeodCorp

Archived