Home

Custom Commando Project

Darth Hyukan

I am not a fan of Gimp at all (for now) it's a little more complicated. I haven't found anything like the layer style thing in photoshop yet which renders a few of my items useless (i.e. the bubble shield, lightsaber blades...)

Anyways, I circled the spots I'd use the most were i to use gimp until i found better methods. http://genliwar.googlepages.com/Gimp.jpg

i'll keep messing around with it though

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I'm still messing around with it.

[edit] Ok, I sure do hope that I'm not asking a big favor but I could really use a screenshot of editing the helmet step by step with numbers in the order you did it. I would like to ad a black stripe down the center like the commando (boss I believe) in my sig.

Hey man whats up?

question: Do you guys stay up all night making commandos?

To answer the question. I guess it depends on where we live. I tend to spend my nights making these and the days doing everything else.

I'll try to make a step by step tutorial for you, but the program is a lot trickier than i thought it would be.

anyways, i took the saved file of Chaf'orm and did it with gimp (basically all the coloring disappeared because i used the layer style option in photoshop)

GIMPChaform.jpg compare with chaform.jpg

i had to apply alternative methods explaining why the saber glow is cut off in a few spots

Thanks alot. Anyway... I'm gonna turn in, so talk to you tomorrow.

Actually now that I think about it, I have to help out with my churches summer camp so I will not be able to get on much for about a week. And definitely not work on my commando. If you can have it ready in the morning I just mite be able to get some work done.

Alright, I finally finished. Everything written can be useful (except the made by me part) so take your time going through it. It is just a jpg image so anyone can open it. TUTORIAL (pretty general but made for GIMP) The icons and stuff will be a little different in a different program and you may be able to skip some steps (i.e. Photoshop automatically creates a new layer when you paste) but all in all it should work for any photoshopish program.

Adjusting the brightness can affect coloring both before and after the Color Balance function is used. Play with that too. I'm going to sleep now, but i'll try to keep making these to cover all the basics (next time I wont use the Halo font so it's easier to read). Da_man, if you can do this too, it'd be greatly appreciated

Couldn't sleep so i did Tutorial 2 since it was mainly picture changes. (First tutorial is B&W this is color)

Ok, since I already have 2 and my Sidebar seems to be filling up with "stuff" i made a link to a new page that lists tutorials: http://genliwar.googlepages.com/tutorial001.

Also, before I go to sleep tonight, I intend on making a page that lists the old Packages instead of all of them on the sidebar as they are.

Ok, Here is the page: http://genliwar.googlepages.com/packages

if you go there, you might find a new package. if you've downloaded the last one, there's really no need. I renamed Mark IV to VI, and added the EOD, the straps, the visor crack, and a new black sniper model because i never liked the one that's been used forever. I also included the 2 tutorials i made.

the new black model is this:

sniperblack2.jpg or should i call him Shadow Knight :lol:

In photoshop i do the lasso unless i need a straight edge, then i use the polygon tool, although often time, i just make the selection bigger and erase until i get a straight looking edge. I haven't found a tool that does straight lines in Gimp

Anyways, Tutorial 4 (making the visor black)

I'm planning on doing a lightsaber tutorial next also, an alternate method of coloring. let me know what you want to learn and i'll try to make a tutorial for it.

Archived