Home

Grim Fandango Soundtrack

Demonolith

Being a newbie, I feel a bit stupid for asking this, but here goes anyway;

With regards to legality, is the GF soundtrack just up for grabs now? A fellow can download it freely without breaking any laws whatsoever?

I know, I know - I should loosen up, but I just really would like to know.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

The venerable Dr. Zoidberg

The soundtrack has been out of circulation for many years now, and LucasArts are fully aware that it's available on the LFNetwork. They requested that certain Star Wars soundtracks be taken down, but had no problems with leaving the old adventure game soundtracks up.

Any money that's spent on the soundtracks now won't go to LucasArts or any other official distributor as they're all second hand, so while downloading it may not be legal per se, it falls into the "nobody cares" category.

Ah, I see.

Thank you very much for the information - I'm comforted by the fact that I can now enjoy the amazingness of the GF soundtrack without feeling all guilty. Were the soundtrack available for purchase, I would gladly have paid whatever sum required. I still, to this date, cannot believe that this music was created for a computer game. I mean, this is music of exceptionally high quality, and I never seem to tire of it. I'm not usually big on jazz, but this is just something else. It just gets to me. And of course it helps that the game itself is (probably) the best ever created.

Again, thanks a lot!

Dr. Zoidberg

Being a newbie, I feel a bit stupid for asking this, but here goes anyway;

With regards to legality, is the GF soundtrack just up for grabs now? A fellow can download it freely without breaking any laws whatsoever?

I know, I know - I should loosen up, but I just really would like to know.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

The venerable Dr. Zoidberg

on this point i don't feel guilty over downloading the soundtrack for the game, because it was hearing the soundtrack that made me curious about it. And once i heard what the game was about and read two reviews that said "BUY THIS GAME IT IS THE MOST AMAZING THING ON EARTH" I thought, hell, maybe i should check it out.

I think a lot of games, especially old ones, can get advertising if they release their soundtracks for free

• 8 months later...
will do...

i absoluetly love this soundtrack...im soooo suprised that it hasnt won hundreds of awards...

Im thinking it hasnt won any awards mainly because GF uses only Jazz and similar tunes. There is practicly no originality. Plus the songs are only catchy if they are playing during gameplay. When I was playing GF I thought that the music was the best part. But when I played the songs separetly I felt that it lost its magic. Then I realised that the magic of GF is the story, gameplay mixed in with the music.

Im thinking it hasnt won any awards mainly because GF uses only Jazz and similar tunes.

Im thinking it hasnt won any awards because it isnt particullaly well-known.

Plus the songs are only catchy if they are playing during gameplay.

I disagree, when I listen to the soundtrack outside of the game, they are still as catchy as hell, Im nearly always humming along to it.

When I was playing GF I thought that the music was the best part. But when I played the songs separetly I felt that it lost its magic. Then I realised that the magic of GF is the story, gameplay mixed in with the music.

I dont think its like that for me. When I listen to the soundtrack separately, I often get the same feeling I would if I was actually playing the game and music is always an important aspect of a game for me personally.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions though :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived