Home

TIE fighters

CmdrCody_43608

Well, all of my toys looked [/i]exactly[/i] like the ones in the films. When yoy hold on of my old SW models up to a black background, it could be mistaken for a frame in the film. Honestly, exactly the same, down the the tiny details... that they forgot to put on ¬¬. I mean seriously, look at that window!! The TIE's are exactly the same as in that picture that Moeller posted, sort of grey-blue.

Welcome, by the way!

The 2004/2005 DVD sets have some color timing problems, so they may make the TIEs appear other colors (though there were actually some blue ones in ESB and ROTJ though), but originally they were shades of gray (the models were the same color, the brightness on your display affects how they look though). Many scenes appear too dark, or have a blue or green tint to them that was not there originally (also many normally red or orange explosions now appear bright orange or even pink/violet, and don't even get me started on the lightsabers or skin tones).

Compare your old VHS/LaserDiscs, screen stills from pre-2004, and the bonus discs of the new 2006 set (which are supposed to be the "theatrical versions" from 1993, possibly an oxymoron, but still, point is they are pre-SE CG/Lowry Digital muck ups).

Actually they all look blue except in A New Hope. I even have this line of posters from the first three movies in my room, and the A New Hope and Return of the Jedi poster both have Vader's tie on it, but ANH's is gray and RotJ's is blue (and these are taken right out of the movie). These were taken out of the DVDs, oddly enough though, and they fixed the tie problem in them pretty much, as I recall, so even though it was a DVD poster I suppose they took it out of an earlier version (it was from the OST for the three movies in that one package).

They're not the theatrical versions, but rather how the movies appeared on LaserDisc in 1993 (right before the Special Editions).

There is ONE exception... the re-created 1977 Opening Crawl for the original "Star Wars." That has never been seen in an official release before (the rental only video tape from the 1980's had the real original crawl, but it was full frame only, not widescreen).

But... the versions coming out on DVD are supposed to be the original theatrical showings... just in Dolby 2.0 or something...

Despite the marketing hype, StarWars.com has reported them repeatedly as being the 1993 editions.

First off, the original Star Wars was in MONO in theaters. This was somewhat rare as stereo versions were created and Aunt Beru's lines redubbed. A six channel 70mm print of this and all three movies WAS available in select theaters. So some of us did see these films in six channel stereo (which would not be properly simulated by Dolby 2.0).

So when they say "original theatrical" read that as "on home video in 1993+new opening crawl for Star Wars").

When I say "reconstructed" I say that because presumably all the prints with the original crawl are too deteriorated to use. So, using a computer, they reconstructed it pretty much as it would have been, before "Episode IV: A New Hope" was added, Rebel was capitalized, and the words were re-ordered to prevent a sentence ending with a single word (that was in 1981, so all home releases for purchase had it, unless you bought a used copy of the first Star Wars rental tape being put up for sale).

Just to point out something, the posters aren't always to be "trusted" when it comes to what they portray in the movies. Some posters show Yoda as bright green. He really isn't, but more yellow/olive/light green (except in scenes where there's lots of contrast). The "super green" Yoda is a product of the prequels and reflects itself in the green tinted scenes of Yoda in the 2004 edition.

The lightsabers are notoriously off in the posters. Luke's saber is consistently blue in the ROTJ posters. In the "Revenge of the Jedi" poster, Luke's saber is actually RED and Vader's is blue (or purple, though that could be due to damage or a bad scan).

Posters are done in advance of the movie, so they are not always in step with the effects (Luke's saber changing from blue to green in ROTJ seems to be a late decision, it actually appears blue in the trailers).

It's also worth pointing out that Lucas did have CG ships added to the SE's and later, and in that process he could have introduced more colors if he wanted to (though I don't think he added any blue TIEs into ANH, I'd have noticed it). The recolor job through the 2004 editions was hokey, but it is possible to have one color model and just recolor it when the mood suites you. But if you want to know the "real" colors of the ships, watch the "theatrical versions" or the Special Editions, not the 2004 editions, which notoriously screw up colors.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on the posters part. Luke is holding his signature blue lightsaber (that is supposed to be the same one) in the ANH and ESB posters, but it looks completely different in both. In the ANH one, it shows it as a very light blue, but in the ESB one, it shows it as a much darker, much bolder blue.

• 1 month later...

I think the mivoci1 person is trying to answer OP's question, though he prefers to give a somewhat useless answer, on top of being a bit late. But yes, at least he is on topic.

I would like to is a complete DVD disc set with all the variant parts in it, though knowing LA this will probably never happen, and it may only be a matter of time where new editions come out.

Archived