Home

Favourite Playable Characters

Diego Varen

This Thread has been inspired by Zat's recent Threads. So who are your favourite playable Characters? Mine are (In no particular order):

Indiana Jones from Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (PS2) - With all his gear, who couldn't like him.

The Exile from TSL (PC) - One of the best Star Wars Game Characters to date.

Spider-Man from Spider-Man (PSX) - An old Character from an old Game from a few years ago, but Spider-Man had style back then.

Jaden Korr from Jedi Academy (PC) - A great Character from after the Original Trilogy. Has great moves, but he just seemed all big headed, when he became a Jedi Knight.

I may think up some more later. So who are yours?

Hmmm, let's se (there are so many, damn):

Kain from the Legacy of Kain series;

Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series;

Agent 47 from the Hitman series;

Carl Johnson from GTA San Andreas;

Tommy Vercetti from GTA Vice City;

Max Payne from Max Payne 1 & 2;

Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango;

Guybrush Threepwood from the Monkey Island series;

The Prince from the Prince of Persia series;

and, of course, HK-47 from KoTOR and TSL (though I didn't actually play as him, I just loved his dialogues :D)

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW!

Hard to pinpoint any one character as an absolute favourite. There are different things I like about a handful of characters that sets them above the rest.

From a game mechanical perspective it would be these:

• Jaden Korr, Jedi Academy - I like playing a very acrobatic character who have lots of flashy, gravity-defying moves.

• Lara Croft, Tomb Raider:Legend - The same reason as above, very acrobatic character with lots of impressive moves and tricks.

• JC Denton, Deus Ex - I also like playing characters who have lots of special powers and abilities that sets them apart from and above the opponents they face, and Denton's Nano-Augs serve this role well, providing him with a wide variety of useful effects.

• Alex Denton, Deus Ex:Invisible War - Same as the first Deus Ex, her biomods are fun and useful and sets her apart from the opponents she faces.

From a more character-centric perspective, it would be these:

• The Bhaalspawn, Baldurs Gate series - Developing character starting out as a sheltered kid in Candlekeep, discovering her true heritage and facing many fun challenges over a 350+ hour campaign, ending up with the choice of embracing or turning down divinity. Lots of opportunity to give the BS a unique character along the way with tested loyalties, betrayals and even romance.

• Revan, Knights of the Old Republic - Complex character, second chances and redemption, potential romance(s), a nice plot twist. The only thing I didn't quite like was why you never found out why she did what she did to begin with in the past.

• The Nameless One, Planescape:Torment - He may not be pretty to look at, and his gruffness might make many a stereotypical FPS protagonist seem jovial by comparison, but this Xivilai-lookalike nevertheless has a deep and interesting story and personality you unravel during the game, and you have the choice of shaping him as everything from a halo-wearing Lawful Good saint to a Chaotic Evil monster right at home in the Abyss. Not that it matters in the end, which was the largest letdown. Very good game, interesting protagonist, awful ending. Can't get it all right. :)

• My Malkavian Vampire, Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines - Crazy, fun personality, lots of fun special powers/disciplines to play with, unrivaled insight into what's really going on behind the scenes even though she's to crazy to realise it herself, and still manages to unravel the plots going on and do the right thing at the end. And Dementation dialog choices rock. Well worth every drop of blood they cost to use. :D

(What's next in the long "What is your..." series of topics? Favourite sidekick? :p)

her biomods are fun

I'd say his, but it's up to the player.

in the final, Area 51 mission of Deus Ex you can see four containers with male humans floating inside, the screen on one of them reads ''Alex Denton''(you can also see them in Antactica flashback sanctuary in Invisible war, but they're empty there)

I'd say his, but it's up to the player.

I wouldn't say that, and thus I didn't. :p I've tried both, and I think the female option fits the role better in the game. And has better voice acting.

in the final, Area 51 mission of Deus Ex you can see four containers with male humans floating inside, the screen on one of them reads ''Alex Denton''

Yep, and you can jump into that same tank in Deus Ex and notice that, unlike the Simons and Page clones, the "Alex Denton" clone is seemingly a hologram, you can pass right through it. :) The Page, Simons and Denton clones also look completely identical and nothing like their "live blueprint". DX is a pretty old game, not every graphical detail can be taken at face value. Otherwise you might also question if Nicolette is the same person in DX1 and in DX:IW since they don't look very much alike.

Which is just as well, since in the Deus Ex:IW backstory for Alex does not match JC's discovery in the Area 51 Lab. She was not awakened as a full adult but as a kid, who'd lived with ApostleCorp fosterparents for many years before being enrolled at Tarsus. Her and Billie Adams were friends as kids even before they ended up at Tarsus. Invisible War doesn't slavishly follow the prequel down to every minute detail. You'll notice that the floor layout of the UNATCO HQ is not identical in both games for example, which is a bigger difference than a featureless clone in a tank. :)

Fortunately there is no "canon" in the Deus Ex universe, so you can pick whichever choice you prefer of those which are offered without someone being able to claim that your choice is incorrect. :)

Revan and Exile go without saying.

MasterChief - Halo

C.J. - San Andreas

Tommy V. - ViceCity

Jeet Kune Lee - My character from Jade Empire

Batman - Batman Begins

Vinny Cignurelli - My character from Godfather

...not to mention my actual face (or as close as I can get to it) in characters made for:

Fight Night 3

Madden

MLB Baseball

TigerWoods

Pc in Fable - I just love how the charather changes if you are a figther, you become fat if you eat to much and so on.

Duke Nukem in DukeNukem3D - Think you know what i mean, the comments are priceless IMO

Revan in Kotor - Very good roleplaying, and stoffe what do you mean with redemption :dev9:

PC in Fallout2 - The option that you can sell all you companinons to slavery, no need to have whinny NPC following around(And i dont think i like a single one in Fallout)

Arthas in WC3/Frozen throne - Following him from a noble paladin to the end in Frozen throne where he become a lich, i really like the missions with him.

Agent 47 in Hitman serie - I just love to be a assasin, and 47 do it with style

I wouldn't say that, and thus I didn't.

Like I said, it's up to the player (but personally I prefer the male version.)

Otherwise you might also question if Nicolette is the same person in DX1 and in DX:IW since they don't look very much alike.

I dunno, she looks pretty much the same to me, just older. Chad too.

My favourite playable characters, no particular order:

-Revan, Kotor: Very interesting developed character, cool turnaround point in game, he's just great.

-My character in Baldurs Gate I and II: Like stoffe mkb said already...you develop this character from the very beginning to the end. Lots of fun.

-"The Nameless" in Gothic I and II: Very very funny and enteraining fully voiced Pc answers. I love that game :D

-The Prince in Prince of Persia: TTT: Insane acrobatics for the win.

-Kyle Katarn, Jedi Outcast: In my opinion Kyle's greatest performance. Kyle is one of those few "I do what I want" jedi. The force is just his tool to get revenge (at least in the beginning)

-Arthas, Warcraft III: You can play Arthas from his beginning as celebrated Paladin till he finds Frostmourne, gets corruped completely by the Lich king, becomes a new villain, fightning against those he once belonged to and finally fusing with the lich king to become one of the greates warcraft villains of all time.

- Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay: Charismatic cool character with a lot of cool lines and the game itself is one of the most atmosperic fps i've ever played.

-my toreador Vampire in Vampire 2: I'm the king of high society. ^^

Archived