Home

The new "Cocaine"

Commander Obi-Wan

I used to drink Pepsi and Monster Enegery like it was going out of style... when i went off it, it was the worst 3 days of my life... felt like I had been hit in the head with a bat... Fast movements would make my head spin and throb... sunlight was the worst... blah.

nah man, they can keep their energy drinks. Give me Gatorade and ice tea.

I used to drink Pepsi and Monster Enegery like it was going out of style... when i went off it, it was the worst 3 days of my life... felt like I had been hit in the head with a bat... Fast movements would make my head spin and throb... sunlight was the worst... blah.

nah man, they can keep their energy drinks. Give me Gatorade and ice tea.

I did the same thing except with Red Bull >.< had a Red Bull everyday at noon or something. God it's horrible.

Yes, but we're specifically talking about caffiene. You get a lot of caffiene in energy drinks, a lot more than in your average coke. It's a couple of cups of coffee in each of those big cans. And yes, you can say chugging an expresso or two is just as bad for you, but the thing is coffee is usually hot. People don't usually gulp down boiling hot cup after cup of coffee. But a cold refreshing beverage that tastes sweet? Sure thing. Ditto for "caffienated water" so the danger there is that people will drink a lot of it, not thinking about how much of the stimulant they are getting, and then problems could result. It's sort of like drinking a lot of a really high alcohol content drink when you are used to drinking a light alchol content. If you drink the same amount, you're getting a lot more of the drug in the same period, which means more severe effects.

Other dangers is that some of these energy drinks promote themselves as being healthy, for "sports." On a high heat day, if you aren't drinking lots of water, you can die from heat stroke. Caffiene, like alcohol is a diuretic (sp?), meaning it will dehydrate you. You'll have to drink more water to keep up, so it'd be better if you avoided the energy drink altogether.

Anyway, all energy drinks are is sugary caffiene pop (though a few contain ingredients that might be dangerous in high quantities, since they aren't passed by the FDA, but most of the ones in the US should be safe in reasonable quantities). I'm no doctor or dietitian, but read the fine print, and be careful, that's my advice.

The ones that advertise being able to "party all night long" and imply they are healthy or a substitute for proper vitamin nutrition or other garbage is just that, garbage. They can put whatever crap they want in their ads (until somebody sues), it doesn't make those statements accurate.

It takes 100 cups of coffee consumed in 4 hours to kill a person.

According to the movie "Mr. Death" (iirc), a doc about Fred A. Leuchter Jr., he drank 25 cups of coffee a day (iirc).

Anyway, there was also a website I used to have the link to which was a calculator of how much mountain dew it would take to kill you. Something like 1 can per lb of body weight. The thing is, most of those beverages are water. So the more concentrated you can get, the more danger. But even if you're not being killed purely by the caffiene, it could lead to other problems that would be dangerous, like the dehydration, or fatigue leading to accidents (because you think you're awake enough to do some major job after no sleep and lots of caffiene).

Archived