Home

Kotor 3 TC

Sith_Reven

It is clear to me that kotor 1 and 2 have quite talented modding teams. I would like to take a shot in the dark and rally support for a Kotor 3 total conversion. Of course it is unofficial but is would be fun to poll the community for the story line and such and construct a 3rd game so to speak. granted it would be very hard to get all the dialogue made up but I have confidence in our modding team. It would put the modders to work and give something new to chat about every day.

Lets face it... Kotor 3 is not coming out any time soon. let me know what you think.

While I agree that the KotOR community has some very talented modders I don't think there would be much interest in creating a pseudo-KotOR 3 from TSL or the original game.

Why? IMO way too much work for so little return.

Besides many of the modders are involved in TSLRP and M4-78 restoration project. I think if you ask the modders involved in those projects about this idea they would tell you they have more than enough to work on already. TSLRP has been over a year in development so far and still has not been released for use by the community-at-large. There is a ton of work involved and these talented people have their own lives with school and work to deal with.

Yeah, no way. Cutmeister hit it right on the nail. Both those two projects have been in the works for eons.

They'd also need access to everything, add in new dialogue files along with new models and new areas. It would be a tremendous amount of work for even the most organized team of modders. Remember that both K1 and TSL are not very mod-friendly. They won't be able to pull off the things UT2k4 or BF modders can do.

I haven't even mentioned the incredible task of writing a story.

Impossible. I'm part of the team restoring M4-78, and just one good planet is difficult enough, thank you. And coordination even with a small amount of people (some who live several thousand miles away from me) is not easy. To do a whole story would require more work and work people. Not to mention it could easily drag on for years, several at the minimum. That's time enough for people to lose interest, abandon hope, get outdated, or even have KotOR III made by Obsidian.

Add to that, we can't make new areas. Sure, we can give them a sort of reskin, but that won't cut it for a new game. And the modeling... Models for the True Sith would be required, and that is still a limited field.

Not to mention the story, as LIAYD said. Making one worthy of KotOR could be as difficult as the technical parts of the mod. :)

Yes, it involves a lot of work. Not to mention, you need:

1) People who can build maps (planets)

2) People who can build characters

3) People who can program the whole thing

4) Other things needed for building items into the game

On the more simple tasks which most of us can perform, you need:

5) Voice Actors. No cameo appearances of old party members of Revan and the Exile of course since these people are unavailable. Revan and the Exile themselves however? Yes, that can be done because they really don't have a voice actor yet.

6) Storyline writers.

A project of this size would mean you need more then a 100 people working on it, I think.

Even it some modders did it, I doubt it would be compareable to Kotor I or II.

1.) You need a fresh look. Kotor and Kotor II'S graphic engine is more than outdated alrdy. Noone can develop a new engine here, getting a license is way too expensive.

Improving the Kotor graphic engine? Wouldn't work... in order to really have an improvement, you would need new textures I think... who's gonna make them?

2.) Story

You need a team all wanting to develop the same story, otherwise everyone tries to get his own stuff in and it will be Chaos.

3.) Voices. Ok can be done, but we want professional charismatic voices don't we?

4.) Organisation

Kinda difficult with people thousands of kilometres away I'd say. Especially since this project would be huge.

Archived