Home

KOTOR 3 Time setting

Darth Cain

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even it that means getting hanged, I consider Revan's and Exiles story to be more or less finished. No need to discover the True Sith.

Decades after Kotor II is just fine for me...

I don't mind finding out what happened to Revan and Exile in KOTOR III, I'm also content with no mention as well however.

I think people expect too much resolution in KOTOR III. A cliff hanger doesn't need to be answered.

Yes they do. The very nature of a cliff hanger implies the need for resolution.

Techincally, I don't see a cliffhanger in K2. The War with True Sith? True, but that was a throw-in to help justify the creation of K3 and explain why Revan fled known space. If they wanted to end the series at K2, they can do so by not even discussing the True Sith. Have Kreia get killed off, and watch photos of The Exile picking up the pieces of the galaxy and creating a new Jedi/Sith Order. The game ends.

Resolution would be nice, but I ask that at least some questions remain. Prehaps, and I may be heretical here...

Why not keep the question: "Who are the True Sith?" unanswered in K3? By doing so, we would be worried of this threat, of how dangerous the True Sith really are...They keep their allure as dangerous, horrible, evil beings.

I have some questions for the people who are saying that too long after TSL is bad. Why? Especially I have to say...I don't get how you can say "More than x years? What were they DOING?".

Keep in mind, they're going on a crusade to end an entire EMPIRE. Revan did a lot of work singlehandedly, and even being joined by the Exile they will be hard pressed to succeed. Destabilizing an empire is not as simple as arriving and saying "OMG! DESTAYBELEYZED LOL!!". You need to organize assassinations against high priority targets and then shift the blame to others. You need to stop production of goods and services, disrupt the military and do all of this without being caught. They have no backup, no assistance or materials coming from anyone. Also, it's not like they have food and provisions aplenty...much of their time will be spent securing enough to EAT even. They may be some of the greatest Jedi of their time, but even they may not be able to destabilize an entire Empire, one that isn't even known about to boot.

In my opinion, it would be good for a medium-large (5-15 years) chunk of time to take place before KotORIII. This would give the maximum amount of time for Revan and the Exile to delay the coming of the True Sith (be realistic here, they will very likely suceed in weakening, even crippling the sith, but they won't be stopped forever. From the sounds of it, Revan recognized that this threat was immediate, and that they were dead set on conquering the republic.

I always envisioned you being trained, yadda yadda, all that jazz to start the game. Then, Revan and the Exile arrive back in Republic Space, claiming that the True Sith were weakened/crippled/delayed long enough for the Republic to recover and be able to fight them off sufficiently, but that invasion was imminent. You would be in charge with paralyzing the Sith threat and then taking the fight to them.

Just my two cents though.

Sorry but I want it set close to K2 and yes I do want resolution, my feeling was that its supposed to continue on immediately and you still play the exile, and K3 is the search for Revan.

I would be happiest with that scenario. I would like the series to continue on and if they want to take it a bit further into the future or go back into the past that's fine with me.

How would they make it so you could play as the exile though? Who would be your party members? If they set it directly after, it would be difficult to code for these things.

I don't want to start as an uber powerful character already. Sure you can say that they'll just make the enemies harder but, there's a certain point where any realism that could possibly exist in star wars goes out the window. To me, that point is starting as a level 50 juggernaut. Storyline wise, they couldn't really make it seem right that common scrub enemies could provide enough of a challenge to the Exile to keep my interest in the game.

Where would your party be? I thought that the exile has to go on alone or with next to no help, and recruiting Sith types to be in my party doesnt sound particularly pleasing. I think that their only logical option is to have you start in the known galaxy leveling up again with a character in some sort of new jedi order, who then has to defend the galaxy against the true sith.

By its very nature it seems that KotOR3 is going to be in a pickle from the start...

Yes they do. The very nature of a cliff hanger implies the need for resolution.

Yes. But they don't have to resolve it. It seems entirely possible to me at least that the Exile running off to find Revan could be left there, hence the "outer regions" where characters would never go. I think people get too invested in a game that will answer all. It doesn't mean I don't think it will happen; I just accept that KOTOR III can do whatever it wants in storyline terms. I'd rather a great story that had nothing to do with the 1st two than a strained one that ties up the loose ends anyway.

The main character of K3 will almost certainly be a new character, I think. The only way it could be Revan or Exile is if he/she lost all force power and had to start over AGAIN! We've already done that two times in as many games - it's old!

And TSL builds to a confrontation with the true Sith to such a degree that it'll be disappointing in the extreme to not explore it. I don't see why doing it would be a strain at all. I mean, it's right there! Just do it, already! What's the point of ending an entire game on a cliffhanger, if you're not going to follow up on it?

They could have ended ESB with Han Solo being frozen and begun ROTJ with a crawltext that just mentions Luke had freed Han. Why didn't they? Because you don't build to a climactic ending that's unresolved unless you're going to use it for something in the next chapter of the plot. They didn't HAVE to end TSL with a cliffhanger, but they did. It was a choice. It was also a promsie. There comes a certain responsibility to follow it up with that.

The force-wound plot for TSL did not need to have the threat of the true Sith put on top to work, so that makes the true Sith a promise of things to come. But not only that. TSL, or rather the KotOR series itself, faced the challenge of incorporating both the DS and LS endings of K1 into the subsequent. Not an easy task considering how very different those endings are. Clearly it was to end on a very good or evil note, then Star Wars history would pass over at least a few hundred years until Revan and whatever legacy he left could be considered gone. But it didn't happen. They decided to do a straight sequel, probably because Revan, Bastila and several of the characters are so popular. How do you resolve such a mess of a situation, where you have the main character going in two complete opposite directions at the end? Easy, you create an enemy that they would both HAVE to fight against - LS Revan to protect the republic and DS Revan to preserve his own empire. The problem of what Revan would do then goes away - it becomes only a question of which means he will fight this enemy with. And since five years pass by the end of TSL, the plot writers get ample time to say Revan has been throught whatever experiences they need to subject him to in order to get him into the state he will be in the next time we need him.

So, I think it'll be a new character, but I also think Revan and Exile will be in there. If Revan is not in there, then why not just kill him off in the background of TSL? It would have been so easy for Kreia to say that Revan died in the Unknown Regions. And of course, the tomb visions of Revan and Exile on Korriban in TSL suggests something too.

EDIT: And note how Kreia puts it at the end of TSL...

Kreia: "And its empire, the true Sith Empire, rules elsewhere.And Revan knew the true war is not against the Republic. It waits for us, beyond the Outer Rim. And he has gone to fight it, in his own way.He left the Ebon Hawk and its machines behind, for he knew he would not need them.And, like you, he knew he must leave all loves behind as well, no matter how deeply one cares for them. Because such attachments are not the way of the Jedi, and they would only bring doom to them both in the dark places where he now walks."

Kreia: "But he will need warriors, Sith and Jedi, any who can be sent after him into the depths of space, any who know the way.Perhaps you shall go there with him, and do battle at the end of all things."

Pretty clear Revan is still out there and not dead, isn't it?

It seems unlikely to me that if the game is set only a couple years (or even a couple months) that the main character would be an somewhat trained Jedi. If so, there must be an explanation as to why s/he wasn't found by Nihilus. Maybe he hid on Coruscant? That might work - it would be cool to play on Coruscant finally, and maybe you could be found and trained by a Jedi (perhaps Bastila?).

Or maybe you could be some random person who has "unique abilities." A Jedi, as I said maybe Bastila, could find you and train you. The problem with that is, of course, how would some random person with a connection to the Force but has never been previously trained defeat the True Sith Empire? Well, that's something I haven't quite figured out yet. I definitely wouldn't want another "the main character was once strong in the Force but had all his powers taken away" thing. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :D

Then again, the game could be set many years after TSL, you could be a Jedi being trained in a rebuilt Jedi Order led by the Exile's companions (or Sith Order, depending on the Exile's alignment).

Pretty clear Revan is still out there and not dead, isn't it?

True, which is exactly why K3 must be made. This story needs some closure. I admit, a mysterious and question-raising end to a series is sometimes fitting, but not for this.

It seems unlikely to me that if the game is set only a couple years (or even a couple months) that the main character would be an somewhat trained Jedi. If so, there must be an explanation as to why s/he wasn't found by Nihilus. Maybe he hid on Coruscant? That might work - it would be cool to play on Coruscant finally, and maybe you could be found and trained by a Jedi (perhaps Bastila?).

Or maybe you could be some random person who has "unique abilities." A Jedi, as I said maybe Bastila, could find you and train you. The problem with that is, of course, how would some random person with a connection to the Force but has never been previously trained defeat the True Sith Empire? Well, that's something I haven't quite figured out yet. I definitely wouldn't want another "the main character was once strong in the Force but had all his powers taken away" thing. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :D

Only too familiar... and not in a good way either ;)

My solution was to put the plot a few years later and then let the LS Exile's companions be the founders of a new emerging jedi order (to be replaced by alternate characters if the exile is set to DS). The main character would be someone who had already trained to become a padawan before TSL, but who never got to that point. This does not violate the basic principle of TSL of Exile being the last jedi - note that Disciple too has received training as a potential padawan, even in the male exile's plot (even the male Exile can mention that he remembers Mical from somewhere, though Mical won't respond to to, since you can't build influence him in the male Exile's game). There could be other "younglings" out there who went into hiding during the shadow war. Indeed, I could imagine Nomi and Vima having taken younglings into hiding in that fashion the same way Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding after the fall of the jedi order.

I definitely wouldn't want another "the main character was once strong in the Force but had all his powers taken away" thing. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :D

Just have your character established on an alien planet, outcasted, and nick-named "the feared one"; because from early child-hood you appear to have been a catalyst for many unsusual events...

Sorted hehe

I'd like the start as a normal person again in KOTOR III. And I prefer the grey-area of learning the force malarki through various companions over having been a goody goody Jedi beforehand.

Also, if the character was to logically face off with the true sith etc. it would be more important to establish them as an anomoly over someone with basic jedi skills in my opinion.

^^

How are you going to go from being a normal person to a powerful jedi who can be a threat to the true Sith in the relatively short time span of a game without having it stretch credibility beyond the breaking point? That makes sense only if you were already powerful, but somehow didn't know it, which all seems like deja vu. In fact, deja deja vu, given how the protagonist of both KotOR and TSL was handled...

Basically that would leave us with three force anomalies in three games. Not very original, I fear... I do give Obsidian credit for the exile's unusual power, which is different from Revan's, but you just can't repeat the same old plot device of the "unique jedi who lost his force powers" over and over. It's old!

Yes I agree that the whole a normal man\woman turns in to a uber-powerful Jedi\Sith in a few weeks or monts is getting old and annoying. A problem I see is if there is a new character that becomes a powerhouse it becomes unrealistic. Just how many Force users are there in the galaxy that have chosen one level strength (Revan being something like the chosen one of his time). Obsidian tried to make Revan and the Exile oposites (heart and death of the Force) so how will this new uber-Jedi fit in this? It seems to me that which ever company develops K3 is going to have a lot of work.

Not really. Fan-fic ideas for a K3 plot have already been written that let a new protagonist be a jedi without having the unique powers of Revan or the exile (and so being an uber-jedi). That being the case, it should be a fairly easy thing for the developers to do as well.

And the protagonist MUST be a jedi, if you ask me. How else can it be "Knights of the Old Republic III"?

Not really. Fan-fic ideas for a K3 plot have already been written that let a new protagonist be a jedi without having the unique powers of Revan or the exile (and so being an uber-jedi). That being the case, it should be a fairly easy thing for the developers to do as well.

I have repeated my arguments in the other thread, so I don't feel the need to repeat myself, but the Third Jedi Padawan needs an uber-power, otherwise it makes the True Sith looks stupid. I don't want the True Sith to look stupid, and I don't want Revan and Exile's ego stroked. I want only the Jedi Padawn's ego stroked.

And if you are arguing that it's "deja deja vu" let me remind you that this may be the THIRD time that they are doing this. Three times the charm, so if they choose to create a third uber-power, they can get away with it, and whenever they make future KOTORs, they have no more uber-powers. But, now, they need to put an uber-power, otherwise there is no need to fear the True Sith.

And legend22 makes a good point. The Jedi Padawan is going to be a powerhouse. Justifying that powerhouse in-game is cliched, but it's better than not justifiying why your "nobody" is a powerhouse. I actually like said justifications, they add to the story.

Ingame, the new PC will indeed be a powerhouse way stronger than Revan and less so than the Exile.

Why? New feats powers etc. Even party members will be more powerful than Revan...

I don't see a problem there, however, the PC shouldn't be portrayed like an uber powerful being.

The PC doesn't have to be insanely powerful to have a strong impact on the plot. Just look at Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn etc. They are not the most powerful Jedi of their age and still, they have(in their plots) a huge impact on the galaxy.

I don't think that the Exile is realy more powerful than Revan new feats and powers are just added by the developers so leveling up can be more fun for veterans of the previous game. And Kreia makes a point by describing them as opposites.

Whoever the PC is he\she must be a powerhouse, it's cliched but I like the feel of playing with a someone who is more powerful than the normal Jedi\Sith. Otherwise the True Sith will be weakling if they're getting pwned by a Force user with normal power levels.

The PC doesn't have to be insanely powerful to have a strong impact on the plot. Just look at Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn etc. They are not the most powerful Jedi of their age and still, they have(in their plots) a huge impact on the galaxy.

Precisely my point. It is also why I don't think the new character needs to an uber-jedi to be THE deciding factor in how the war against the true Sith plays out. For that reason alone, I'd like the focus to be on strong plot instead of constantly pushing the power level. But I admit that it's an opinion and that others don't have to share it. There is no reason why the new pc cannot be a huge powerhouse. If people prefer that, then fine. I just wish they would distinguish between whether it's a preference and so an opinion and whether it is an absolute necessity, the insistence of which makes discussion sadly difficult.

I was thinking 5-10 years after KotOR 2. Anything else and the Jedi Order/Republic won't have had NEAR enough time to get patched up for the new wave of super-powerful baddies hell-bent on their destruction.

Edit: Also, too long after that 10-year benchmark creates disassociation with the main storyline and problems establishing continuity.

And now I pose the idea of a split time phrame story line as it is a bit of originality added to the game's series' progress.

Archived