Home

Intel Nvidia Buyout? Good or Bad ?

Astrotoy7

Since AMD and ATI jumped into bed together, rumours of a similar move by Intel towards nVidia have run rampant. Though totally unconfirmed in any official way by either party, the buzz is strong enough that to have influenced nvidia's stock prices. Clicky for more detail on that.

Stock prices etc aside, is this actually a good thing ?? It could be good from a competition point of view, but would have its downsides too.

Having a diversity when choosing system components was good(though can result in headaches too) On the other hand, the potential for graphics hardware to achieve optimum performance standards also increases...

what do others think ?? I'll use this thread to keep tabs on this story...though at this stage it is definitely still a "strongish" rumour :p

mtfbwya

My first post in the new tech forum-great idea, Astro! :thumbsup:

I touched on this in the discussion in Ahto. While I think this merger would have some advantages such as better, more efficient and cooler-running Nvidia GPUs (ultimately 45nm, same goes for the AMD/ATI merger), it will slash the current selection of four CPU/GPU combinations to just two, namely AMD/ATI and Intel/Nvidia.

I've already read that future ATI products will probably no longer support Intel CPUs, and if an Intel/Nvidia merger occurs I can only see them going the same route in retaliation. If this is true, it's really going to suck. :disaprove

My first post in the new tech forum-great idea, Astro! :thumbsup:

welcome Qliveur, glad to see you here :)

re- Another thing not to forget about is IBM/Sony/Toshiba's Cell Processor

The numbers on it are definitely impressive. Once they moved beyond its use in the PS3, I wonder if they will see it through to the PC. I think it would be good to have a third player on the market :)

Some more interesting new starting to float out of AMD/ATI is that they are working on combined CPU and GPU (CnGPU) That would be nice indeed...no need for a separate graphics card....but will it be able to yield as high performance...???

definitely alot of change in the wind in the compy tech world in the next 12-24 months :p Im happy with my system for the moment....for the new stuff Im taking the 'wait-n-see' approach :)

mtfbwya

Yah I agree, that's the reason that people went to PCI express, cause data transfer is faster, but it would be great if CPU and GPU had that fast of data transfer rate. And to think I'm using AGP and upgrading it... Ah well, anything's gotta be better than my nVidia geForce4 MX (which runs on an AMD chip), so I'm gonna get an ATi X1600 Pro

A combined CPU/GPU? Sharing the same memory (DDR4, perhaps?) over the HT bus (or Intel's equivalent :p ), it couldn't help but be more efficient and maybe even less expensive (probably not, but no more so at least). These mergers might not suck so bad after all...

Archived